Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Can a person take powerbank for cellphones in checked luggage?

Can a person take powerbank for cellphones in checked luggage?

Old Nov 15, 2015, 6:37 pm
Original Poster

Question Can a person take powerbank for cellphones in checked luggage?

Seniors,

I am going flying to India, Are we allowed to take powerbank for cell phones in checked luggage? Take a look at the link for the external battery charging powerbank. http://www.ipoweradd.com/poweradd-pi...ack_p1359.html
Old Nov 15, 2015, 7:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Where are you coming from?

Power banks are lithium ion batteries--not allowed in checked baggage in the US at least.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 11:44 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hh Gold, NH*G, SPGP, SQ-CC
General rule.

Not in the checked bags

Okay if you carry 1 piece onboard.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 8:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
Where are you coming from?

Power banks are lithium ion batteries--not allowed in checked baggage in the US at least.
Not allowed, sure, but people do it all the time. There are some proud morons on the AC board who boast about checking their ipads and laptops.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 7:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA GLD
google "lithium battery fire" to understand why they should not be checked.

different airlines also have different rules; CX definitely has a list of what are/are not acceptable battery sizes for carry on.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 8:00 am

Originally Posted by tycosiao
General rule.

Not in the checked bags

Okay if you carry 1 piece onboard.
Whose limit is 1? TSA? Airlines? Your suggestion?

I usually have 2 with me on longer trips (one pocket-sized, one larger capacity). Just curious whose rules I'm breaking.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 4:02 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by bobert24
Whose limit is 1? TSA? Airlines? Your suggestion?

I usually have 2 with me on longer trips (one pocket-sized, one larger capacity). Just curious whose rules I'm breaking.
It's an FAA restriction.

The quantity limit (2 subject to airline approval) applies only to larger lithium ion batteries (101-160 watt hours per battery).
Pack Safe
Lithium ion and lithium metal batteries, spare (uninstalled)

Size limits: Lithium metal (non-rechargeable) batteries are limited to 2 grams of lithium per battery. Lithium ion (rechargeable) batteries are limited to a rating of 100 watt hours (Wh) per battery. These limits allow for nearly all types of lithium batteries used by the average person in their electronic devices. With airline approval, passengers may also carry up to two spare larger lithium ion batteries (101-160 watt hours). This size covers the larger after-market extended-life laptop computer batteries and some larger batteries used in professional audio/visual equipment.

Quantity limits: None for most batteries but batteries must be for use by the passenger. Batteries carried for further sale or distribution (vendor samples, etc.) are prohibited. There is a limit of two spare batteries per person for the larger lithium ion batteries described above (101-160 watt hours per battery).
Old Nov 2, 2016, 10:59 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I bought this 22000 mAh powerbank and have been carrying it in my carry on luggage on a trip putside the US. Security staffers keep asking me to take it out of my bag, then they look at it and say it's OK.

Just went through security in Bangkok and there was a wastebasket next to the security post with something about "power banks" written on it, but the basket was empty and they let me go through with mine. Not sure which ones are prohibited.
Old Nov 3, 2016, 1:18 am

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
[mod note - moved oversized image to an attachment]
[mod note 2 - not that it helped much ]
Attached Images  

Last edited by gfunkdave; Nov 3, 2016 at 6:32 am
Old Nov 3, 2016, 9:56 am

I had my luggage scanned in Taiwan and they said I could not have a couple rechargable flashlights ( less power than a cll phone battery) , this was over a year ago before the Samsung problems ,

I would not my bags stuck in Security somewhere because of questions about a powerbank , no matter what the sign says !

Carry it
Old Nov 3, 2016, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jphripjah
I bought this 22000 mAh powerbank and have been carrying it in my carry on luggage on a trip putside the US. Security staffers keep asking me to take it out of my bag, then they look at it and say it's OK.

Just went through security in Bangkok and there was a wastebasket next to the security post with something about "power banks" written on it, but the basket was empty and they let me go through with mine. Not sure which ones are prohibited.
22,000 mAh = 110 Wh. Limit 2, with airline approval. Carry-on only, they are categorically prohibited in checked baggage. (For good reason--if one has a catastrophic failure in the passenger compartment things can be dealt with. If it happens in the hold it very well might bring the plane down.)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.