Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Verizon Travelpass - $5/day or $10/day -use existing data/voice/plan in 140 countries

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Verizon Travelpass - $5/day or $10/day -use existing data/voice/plan in 140 countries

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2015, 6:11 am

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by ajGoes
I was pleasantly surprised to discover after a recent trip to Canada that the cost is pro-rated. I turned the Canada/Mexico plan on only for the days I was in Canada and that was all I was billed for.
The only issue with it prorating is that it does so for the data as well. To get the full 100mb it had to be active for the entire billing cycle.
Old Nov 14, 2015, 7:37 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by alchemista
They pro-rated me the first time I used it, but then the second time I called about the monthly plan, they said they no longer pro-rate it and I would be charged the full month no matter how long I used it. 100MB of data is ridiculous anyway - I had to install app data limiters and make sure to monitor my phone all the time to not exceed the data.
We got the 100 MB plan for my wife's phone for $5 (it was on special) and the 1 GB plan for mine. We were in Canada for two weeks. I turned off synching on both devices, set appropriate warnings, and asked Mrs. ajGoes to use her phone prudently but not to worry about the limit.

In the event, Mrs. ajGoes just nudged over her first 100 MB. The extra 100 MB cost $10. My cost was $12, hers was $17. This was for 8/28 through 9/11, so if they really quit pro-rating these plans, they did it quite recently.
Old Dec 4, 2015, 2:47 pm

Programs: AA Plt Pro, UA Silver, DL, QF; HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Has anyone used travelpass that can report back on their experience? I've been using local SIMs and a Google Fi line for all my travel this year, but will considering using my work (Verizon) line for a short trip to Norway next month if the data coverage and speed is equivalent to a local SIM network...
Old Dec 18, 2015, 12:41 pm

I used it for 24 hours last month until I could get to a local store to get a SIM. Started at LHR that morning and then used it in Ireland for the remainder of the day. Absolutely no issues, and worked exactly as expected, even had LTE service.

I'll continue using this on shorter trips, but will probably continue on local SIMs for trips over 7 days unless there are special circumstances that make the VzW deal better.
Old Dec 18, 2015, 1:26 pm

My dad used it for a week in Trinidad / Tobago with no problems. As the account owner (I'm in the U.S.), I got this daily text:

Code:
Your TravelPass 24 hour session is almost up. Another daily session will be triggered by Int'l Talk, Text or Data.  For details visit vzw.com/intltrvl
Interestingly, these texts arrived at different intervals (minutes not shown):

12/9 @ 6pm
12/11 @ 2am
12/12 @ 2am
12/13 @ 2am
same time for the next few days.

There's zero chance he was restarting his usage at precisely the same time each day, but the phone may have been auto-checking stuff (updates, email, etc.).

I haven't seen the associated bill yet, but I'm assuming that there's no $10 charge for the non-use day (12/10).
Old Dec 21, 2015, 6:29 am

Do you need to toggle it on and off or can you leave it on all the time and control through control of your roaming on/off switch on your device? I live ten miles from the Canadian border and am a frequent crosser. It seems like a royal pain to toggle this on/off when I run across for a meeting.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 1:25 pm

Programs: AA Plt Pro, UA Silver, DL, QF; HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Dubai Stu
Do you need to toggle it on and off or can you leave it on all the time and control through control of your roaming on/off switch on your device?
My understanding from Verizon is that you can leave it on.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AussieExPat
My understanding from Verizon is that you can leave it on.
Their website says that it's only active on days you use it.
Old Dec 23, 2015, 10:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
Their website says that it's only active on days you use it.
travelpass is opt-in... so you have to explicitly enable it

once it's enabled..... if your cellphone latches to the foreign tower, you'll get charged for that day (don't think Verizon does any confirmation via text once you opt-in to travelpass)

so if you live near the border, don't enable it until you actually want it. shouldn't be hard, it's a setting on the webpage/app
Old Dec 23, 2015, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by paperwastage

once it's enabled..... if your cellphone latches to the foreign tower, you'll get charged for that day (don't think Verizon does any confirmation via text once you opt-in to travelpass)

so if you live near the border, don't enable it until you actually want it. shouldn't be hard, it's a setting on the webpage/app
Or, if you live near the border just turn off roaming on your phone. That way you can leave the feature on your account and control your use of it directly via your phone.
Old Dec 23, 2015, 12:33 pm
Original Poster

Or, if you live near the border just turn off roaming on your phone. That way you can leave the feature on your account and control your use of it directly via your phone.
you can disable data roaming on almost all phones

not all phones allow you to disable voice/text roaming
Old Dec 23, 2015, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

you can disable data roaming on almost all phones

not all phones allow you to disable voice/text roaming
REally? I find that shocking.
Old Dec 27, 2015, 10:32 am

I got a welcome text in the UK and Ireland last month when I was there.

I enabled travelpass the day it came out, and have only been billed for the times I actually used it.
Old Dec 27, 2015, 3:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bchandler02
I got a welcome text in the UK and Ireland last month when I was there.

I enabled travelpass the day it came out, and have only been billed for the times I actually used it.
I meant when you reach the foreign network, Verizon will block your connection and send you a text: "Do you want to enable TravelPass? Reply YES for yes" etc

REally? I find that shocking.
yeah... most phone manuals just tell you to go on airplane mode
Old Dec 28, 2015, 7:38 pm

I wonder how it will work with a tablet. Most tablets can not accompany text messaging.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.