Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

ATT Wifi Calling Abroad

ATT Wifi Calling Abroad

Old Mar 23, 2016, 5:54 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

Well... Got a text from ATT yesterday stating wifi calling from abroad should be active now!

Fdw
Old Mar 23, 2016, 1:02 pm

Programs: UA MM (former 1K) - DL PM (former DM) - Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu
Well... Got a text from ATT yesterday stating wifi calling from abroad should be active now!
Got the same text myself. Figures - a day and a half after I return from London
Old Mar 23, 2016, 2:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I just updated the OS on my iPhone this AM and then read the notes for both the OS and the WiFi calling. Indeed it should be active for international calls from overseas.
Old Mar 23, 2016, 5:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
I just updated the OS on my iPhone this AM and then read the notes for both the OS and the WiFi calling. Indeed it should be active for international calls from overseas.
Good news. ATT's configuration on the iPhone 6 will work with the phone in airplane mode with wifi turned on
Old Mar 27, 2016, 8:50 am

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
Originally Posted by Dubai Stu
Good news. ATT's configuration on the iPhone 6 will work with the phone in airplane mode with wifi turned on
yes, and it works on the plane too ;-(
Old Mar 28, 2016, 1:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
This is going to be huge! It's very curious as AT&T discontinued a prior WiFi App that offered discounted international calling. My guess is that AT&T is having its lunch eaten by Apple FaceTime and decided it would be better to try to stay relevant...

In any case, it will be great on our next international trip as the rest of my family does not have an international plan, but this will allow them to call free from any WiFi spot (of course they can already do that through FaceTime)
Old Mar 28, 2016, 3:56 pm

....and the T-Mobile crowd says "Welcome to 2007 AT&T!"

WiFi Calling's been around in T-Mobile land since ~2007 AND works on Android and older iPhones.

Still waiting for my office's Verizon Samsung phones to get WiFi Calling. Not holding my breath.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 7:54 pm

Any recent report on how well this works overseas? If I hear anything positive, then it will be a cue for me to finally switch to iPhone SE (still have iPhone 5).
Old Apr 20, 2016, 8:45 pm

Well

Well my MIL has been using it for the last week in Paris without any issue or charges.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by nmenaker
Well my MIL has been using it for the last week in Paris without any issue or charges.
Thanks. I guess that's good(?) Sorry if you actually didn't want it to work out . Of course couldn't tell by just reading (and not much between the lines )...
Old May 1, 2016, 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by radiowell
Any recent report on how well this works overseas? If I hear anything positive, then it will be a cue for me to finally switch to iPhone SE (still have iPhone 5).
On iPhone, International Wifi Calling from ATT seems to work same as in US. Which is to say, it may decide to switch back to cellular if there are 3 or more dots. There is no way to force it to use Wifi.

I started a 60 minute call on Wifi outside the US. Partway through, it switched to cellular. Wound up paying roaming charges for most of the call.

Tried putting it in airplane mode, but would not do Wifi Calling consistently.
Old May 2, 2016, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by Chris1000
On iPhone, International Wifi Calling from ATT seems to work same as in US. Which is to say, it may decide to switch back to cellular if there are 3 or more dots. There is no way to force it to use Wifi.

I started a 60 minute call on Wifi outside the US. Partway through, it switched to cellular. Wound up paying roaming charges for most of the call.

Tried putting it in airplane mode, but would not do Wifi Calling consistently.
I always try and have the phone in airplane mode when I am international and using WIFI calling, so it won't ever go to the cellular network that way. Although, from wifi it would have to switch to an HD VOICE call from WIFI, otherwise the call would drop.

One could probably turn off LTE for voice calls, and then that wouldn't be able to happen. The call would then drop at that point trying to switch back to the regular cellular network.
Old May 2, 2016, 10:41 am

that or, connect to the hotel Wi-Fi....install a program similar to cb radio/zello...create a room, pw protect the room on the said application and you can have a 1 on 1 or 1 on many conversations.

I actually used to used cb radio...but am on zello now....and have met/spoken to people from the UK, Belgium, parts of Asia and even the AUS/NZ continent.
Old May 2, 2016, 4:35 pm

Thanks again for the responses. It looks like the simplest thing to do is to put my phone on the airplane mode while traveling abroad and wanting to call home, and hope for the best (i.e., no dropped wifi).

I ended up getting the 6s instead (and I'm that much poorer). The wifi calling is turned on at all times, both at home and at work! Seem to work fine, domestically.
Old May 3, 2016, 8:47 am

Originally Posted by radiowell
Thanks again for the responses. It looks like the simplest thing to do is to put my phone on the airplane mode while traveling abroad and wanting to call home, and hope for the best (i.e., no dropped wifi).

I ended up getting the 6s instead (and I'm that much poorer). The wifi calling is turned on at all times, both at home and at work! Seem to work fine, domestically.
I forward my phone to google voice when going abroad. That way the random calls don't come through and cost but I get an immediate notification via text of the call. If I need to I THEN put the phone into APM and call back on WIFI calling. It's a bit of a two step process but I don't get charged really anything or pay for any calls.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.