Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Will Android Pay on my US Mobile Phone Work Outside the US?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2015, 2:07 pm
Original Poster

I've tried using the old Google Wallet outside the US (at contactless payment terminals in London), and the payments were rejected.

Anyone know if Android pay will work outside the US on a US based phone?

The one use that would be great would be the ability to use it on the London Undergound, which accepts contactless cards and Apple Pay in lieu of an Oyster Card but provides the same per day limit on charges that one gets with an Oyster card.
Old Oct 22, 2015, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
There's a long thread on this in the UK section. I suggest you look there.
Old Oct 22, 2015, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by BigFlyer
I've tried using the old Google Wallet outside the US (at contactless payment terminals in London), and the payments were rejected.

Anyone know if Android pay will work outside the US on a US based phone?

The one use that would be great would be the ability to use it on the London Undergound, which accepts contactless cards and Apple Pay in lieu of an Oyster Card but provides the same per day limit on charges that one gets with an Oyster card.
If you didn't see a T&C for Bancorp when you added the card, it should work. If you did see one then you added a card grandfathered from Wallet and it will behave the same way Wallet did.
Old Oct 22, 2015, 4:54 pm
Original Poster

Just took your suggestion, but didn't find any such thread. Do you have a link, or the title of the thread?

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
There's a long thread on this in the UK section. I suggest you look there.
Old Oct 22, 2015, 4:56 pm
Original Poster

You say it "should" work - did it work for you?

Originally Posted by tmiw
If you didn't see a T&C for Bancorp when you added the card, it should work. If you did see one then you added a card grandfathered from Wallet and it will behave the same way Wallet did.
Old Oct 22, 2015, 5:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You say it "should" work - did it work for you?
I use an iPhone so I don't know for sure. I did scan my Nexus 7 though with an NFC reader and Android Pay did transmit a lot of the same stuff that Apple Pay does for cards from the official issuers, so I don't see why it wouldn't. The main thing is that the token has to be generated by the issuer and not by Bancorp.
Old Oct 22, 2015, 5:43 pm
Original Poster

Assuming that the veto on international use was from Bancorp, and not from Google. Google might (or might not) have a blanket rule that Android Pay cannot be used internationally.

I use an iPhone so I don't know for sure. I did scan my Nexus 7 though with an NFC reader and Android Pay did transmit a lot of the same stuff that Apple Pay does for cards from the official issuers, so I don't see why it wouldn't. The main thing is that the token has to be generated by the issuer and not by Bancorp.
Old Oct 22, 2015, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Assuming that the veto on international use was from Bancorp, and not from Google. Google might (or might not) have a blanket rule that Android Pay cannot be used internationally.
I have BofA and AmEx on my Nexus 7 as well as a grandfathered card. FWIW the Bancorp T&C explicitly prohibits non-US use while the other two mentioned nothing about it.
Old Oct 22, 2015, 5:50 pm
Original Poster

That sounds hopeful - hope you are right and it works.

Now if only Capital One would get onto Android Pay with its no foreign currency fee cards, that would be great (although for now Capital One wallet has the NFC capabilities and allows payment with the phone.)

I have BofA and AmEx on my Nexus 7 as well as a grandfathered card. FWIW the Bancorp T&C explicitly prohibits non-US use while the other two mentioned nothing about it.
Old Oct 22, 2015, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That sounds hopeful - hope you are right and it works.

Now if only Capital One would get onto Android Pay with its no foreign currency fee cards, that would be great (although for now Capital One wallet has the NFC capabilities and allows payment with the phone.)
The only possible issue you might run into is if you try to use Android Pay on the Underground. Then again, Apple Pay had issues there too before it rolled out to the UK.
Old Oct 22, 2015, 6:04 pm
Original Poster

I would think that as far as the Underground is concerned, a contactless card is a contactless card. So unless Google or the underlying bank had a block on it, it would work.

The only possible issue you might run into is if you try to use Android Pay on the Underground. Then again, Apple Pay had issues there too before it rolled out to the UK.
Old Oct 22, 2015, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would think that as far as the Underground is concerned, a contactless card is a contactless card. So unless Google or the underlying bank had a block on it, it would work.
I'd ask over in this thread for recent experiences:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...artphones.html

But basically, the Underground was expecting a certain set of features to be on the "card" and declining if they weren't there. Apple Pay using Visa or AmEx didn't have those but MasterCard did. That may have been fixed on the Underground side as part of the UK rollout of Apple Pay.
Old Oct 23, 2015, 10:50 am
Original Poster

That's not a thread - that's a ten-foot wide cable. 2,366 posts, including the post I just posted at your suggestion.

I'd ask over in this thread for recent experiences:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...artphones.html
Old Oct 23, 2015, 11:29 am
Original Poster

And, indeed, I did just get confirmation on the other thread from someone who successfully used Android Pay in the UK:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25606282-post2368.html
Old Oct 23, 2015, 1:49 pm

Did you have a working data signal as well? Android Pay/Apple Pay rely upon contacting the mothership for tokens. If you weren't using a valid UK SIM or had an international data package, your phone would have no way of telling the NSA Google/Apple of your transactions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.