Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Favor: Check Phone Tech Specs in Japan

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2015, 1:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Favor: Check Phone Tech Specs in Japan

A favor to ask of anyone in Japan right now who is fluent in Japanese who could check with Docomo for me. I decided on the new Sony Z5 Premium, but as usual, a lot of detail is missing from the manufacturer and carrier websites on the tech specs. The two key things I am trying to figure out are:

1. what are the GSM and LTE frequencies (and bands) supported by the Docomo model which may be different than the global model
2. what technical or quality differences are there between the Japan model and the global model aside from the usual Docomo bloatware, in-Japan TV receiver, etc - is the screen glass different, is the phone made in the Japan factory (instead of China, etc etc)

It appears the phone model will not be sold in the US anytime soon (Sony closed all their US retail stores), so I am deciding between the global model I can pick up in Singapore next month, or the Japan model I can have shipped to me unlocked - but if the only difference between the Japan model and the global model is Felica and fewer frequencies, then I will go for the global model this time unless the Japan model has other superior specifications not found on the global model.
Old Oct 18, 2015, 11:52 am

(Sony closed all their US retail stores) -> think they're keeping the LA and NYC store... but the new phones reach the retail stores very very late

looks like the Docomo model for the Z5 premium is SO-03H.

Typically, I look at the Sony whitepaper for the full specs... but the whitepapers don't list the model yet

http://developer.sonymobile.com/down...p-whitepapers/

there is almost zero LTE-band overlap with USA networks. I'd suggest to avoid this model
1, 3, 7, 17, 19, 21, 28, 38, 39

https://www.nttdocomo.co.jp/product/smart_phone/so03h/
Old Oct 18, 2015, 12:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
The Docomo model has Band 17 which should cover me in most areas - honestly, after testing a friend's LTE capable phone, I didn't see a big difference in browsing or app speed between HSPA on my Docomo S4 vs their LTE model and I don't typically download content to my phone - although LTE might help with up-syncing files from the phone to dropbox, etc.

Something tells me they won't post the whitepapers for the Docomo or KDDI models - in essence, I am trying to figure out what might be different (ie better) on the Japan models vs the global models. My Japanese S4 has a better processor, sturdier glass and was made in Korea vs the lower quality Chinese factories - that last point alone is enough to steer me to the Docomo model.

However, if they are all made in the same place and the the only real difference is Docomo bloatware+Felica+long waits for firmware updates, then I won't bother with the Japan model as I can have do-it-your-self Felica by sticking a plastic SUICA card in the back of the case and installing the SUICA account app on the phone....and the rest of the "features" are useless to me anyway.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 7:11 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, OZ*G, AA Gold, AS MVP
Originally Posted by bocastephen
However, if they are all made in the same place and the the only real difference is Docomo bloatware+Felica+long waits for firmware updates, then I won't bother with the Japan model as I can have do-it-your-self Felica by sticking a plastic SUICA card in the back of the case and installing the SUICA account app on the phone....and the rest of the "features" are useless to me anyway.
All right, I'm a bit curious as to how the account app works. I was under the impression that a lot of functions like electronic Shinkansen tickets and credit card top-ups were impossible with the account app as opposed to the full Mobile Suica.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.