Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hidden Verizon fees

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2015, 12:24 pm
Original Poster

Hidden Verizon fees

So when I upgraded to 6s this time, got whacked for a $45 activation/set up fee. Not happy but at least my wife happy to get new toy.

Fast forward to next statement: now two other charges. $40 upgrade fee and $11.00/month asurion mobile protection program! ...?

Dialed 611 to complain to Verizon, spoke with supervisor and given I have been a "loyal customer", they first cancelled the asurion monthly charge and then 'waived' the $40 upgrade fee.

Totally a non-TMO moment!
Old Oct 16, 2015, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
The sales rep needed to hit their device protection/insurance numbers so they added it on for your convenience.
Old Oct 16, 2015, 2:29 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
Good catch - DW dislike automatic bill pay for reasons like this, especially when traveling. So, the $45 upgrade fee remained on the balance due - is this on a personal plan or corporate discount plan ?

We used to get those 22% discount & upgrade was free ... no more.

Just in case those of you on grandfathered VZW unlimited plans haven't heard or been advised, the plan is going up $20 a month - Google it for details.

So glad we bailed out 2 years ago - nowadays, we can get a decent mid-range priced smartphone, without contract & unlocked for around $300 to $400 flat, with no pro-rated ETF, etc.

Of course, they knew we ported our family lines over to T-Mo but since given up on enticing us to "come back" with their offers ... except, when bundling it with Fios products by another division within.
Old Oct 16, 2015, 6:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by Letitride3c
nowadays, we can get a decent mid-range priced smartphone, without contract & unlocked for around $300 to $400 flat, with no pro-rated ETF, etc.
Vz has had these for quite some time - at least a year, as I bought phones for my family last October. I think you might be able to get a contract with ETF if you really try, but it's not easy.

I have the same 22% with Vz - TMo discontinued corp. discounts just before I switched from Sprint and they lost my business. The price was then almost exactly the same and after taking a TMo phone for their "test drive", it was clear Vz was a better choice for us.
Old Oct 16, 2015, 8:20 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by CPRich
Vz has had these for quite some time - at least a year, as I bought phones for my family last October. I think you might be able to get a contract with ETF if you really try, but it's not easy.

I have the same 22% with Vz - TMo discontinued corp. discounts just before I switched from Sprint and they lost my business. The price was then almost exactly the same and after taking a TMo phone for their "test drive", it was clear Vz was a better choice for us.
You still need to pay very high monthly charges on Vz. My mom lives in a bit of a canyon that only is well covered by Verizon and AT&T towers. She got an HTC One X brand new and unlocked that was originally made for AT&T's LTE network that cost $140 brand new, and she's paying $35 a month for unlimited voice and text, with 0.5 GB of un-throttled data on Net10. If she needs more date bandwidth (she doesn't), $40 a month gets the same service with 3 GB of data before throttling. The service runs on AT&T's towers (and can also be gotten to run on T-Mobile's towers).

I think that $140 for a pretty good brand new unlocked no-contract midrange smart phone and $35-40 a month for an unlimited voice/txt plan with enough data for most needs is about as good as you can get. I think her service is pretty good, and I'm tempted to switch to it as well, although I'd get the 3 GB data version for $40/month and I'd probably spend a bit more for an unlocked HTC One M7 or Samsung Galaxy S4.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.