Reload this Page >

WiFi calling on AT&T

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WiFi calling on AT&T

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2017, 5:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Boraxo
Really there is no need to enable WiFi calling in the USA if (1) You have an unlimited minutes plan (vast majority of us do) and (2) You are rarely outside of an area with sufficient cell tower coverage. Even so you could still use one of the apps listed above just as easily from a location that has wifi.
The apps listed work fine for outgoing calls. They don't help at all for incoming calls (without number-forwarding gymnastics), or for SMS messages (in or out).

I live pretty much dead smack in the middle of Silicon Valley, and in my apartment I have zero AT&T coverage. I would kill for Wifi calling (and will be getting it shortly when I upgrade my phone)
Old Jan 12, 2017, 7:31 am

If you port your mobile number to Google Voice, then you get the benefit of Google Voice calling AND carrier calling. It will ring every number you assigned to it including any carrier number (wireless or WiFi) or landline.

I had it ring everything, work phone, cell phone, work cell, tablet, pc... whichever one I pick up first will answer. And I can make calls on everything. I can even have it ring a temporary work office phone. I can have it ignore every call and forward to voicemail and email me a transcript.

You pretty much have your phone with you if you have a device around you that could either receive call or connect to the internet.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 10:29 am

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
Originally Posted by TWA884
WiFi calling works exactly the same as cellular calling on your phone. The only difference is that your call is connected via WiFi instead of your carrier's cellular network. There is no difference how the calls are made and received. There is no need to install or use any special apps. My phone switches automatically and seamlessly midcall from cellular to WiFi when I am in a weak cellular reception area.
technically, this isn't totally the way wifi calling works in practice.

Technically, in order to have a seamless handoff between the wifi trunked call and the cellular network there has to be an LTE connection and the availability of the HD VOICE protocol connection (which only works on LTE) for a seamless transfer of the call TO a cellular network.

For the reverse to be able to occur, I think one has to have already been connected to the WIFI network from the inception of the Cellular call for the handoff to WIFI calling to be able to occur without dropping the call.

Normally in bad areas, LTE isn't available and seamless handoff will not occur back and forth between a 4G connection and WIFI or the reverse from WIFI to 4G.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.