Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Employee/Job Scheduling Software

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2015, 11:53 pm
Original Poster

Employee/Job Scheduling Software

Was hoping someone on here would be able to help with a solution for what seems to me to be a ridiculously easy "problem" to solve.

I am looking for a scheduling software (preferably web/cloud based) which would allow employees to chose their upcoming assignments remotely.

Currently, we do this via email and group calendars and it is really overly complicated for such a simple process, I think.

Some assignments will be assigned to certain employees but most will be left open for a first come/first served self-selection/sign-up process.

For instance, we have an assignment coming up on October 9, we need 5 people to cover the event. Basically would need a way to post the details of the event, mark the 5 open slots, etc. and let the employees assign themselves to the available slots. Once all 5 spots are filled, the assignment would effectively be closed.

Not all assignments would need the same number of people working them. Some of the jobs we would hand-pick and assign them to certain people, while the majority of them would be open to anyone to select.

After the assignments are complete, some back-end email reminders, and automatic reminder additions to smart phone calendars would be a nice addition but not a requirement.

Does that all make sense? Hopefully, I haven't made the description more complicated than needed!

I do very much appreciate all suggestions.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 4:08 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Would something like EventBrite be feasible? It seems that it would do what you want, although it's aimed at "events" rather than "jobs".

Have a look (cloud based)... I think it's free for small "events".
Old Oct 6, 2015, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'd just use a speadsheet in Google Sheets.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 10:29 am

Programs: UA1K/RCC, Avis CHM, NWA Plat, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
I'd just use a speadsheet in Google Sheets.
+1

Would be an easy solution for what you are trying to do.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dimramon
+1

Would be an easy solution for what you are trying to do.
Thanks.

OP - also check out Trello. Create a task list for, say, each month and add a card for each event. Have people sign up by attaching themselves to individual cards.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 9:22 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all for the suggestions. We've been using a Google Form/spreadsheet for post-assignment reporting/feedback so that would be an option that everyone should be comfortable with.

Trello looks interesting. I'll play with it a bit. Thanks, gfunkdave.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 8:08 am
Formerly known as kmht

Programs: Alcoholics Anonymous
the town I work for as an EMT uses a site called When2Work which works well. It has apps for Android and IOS also.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
We implemented a tool from 10000ft for a small group with complex scheduling needs in our company.

That may be overkill, but we passed on quite a few less-expensive cloud solutions that didn't meet our needs.

This is just the first hit of many that the google found searching for cloud-based scheduling software
Old Oct 7, 2015, 11:15 am
Original Poster

I think I just found the ultimate solution, purely by accident...

ScheduleHead

It does everything that I want and a lot more...like text message or web interface sign-up for jobs/events.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 1:25 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC, Delta Silver
I'll add a second recommendation for When to work. I helped my old company implement for a support team, and it worked very well for them, with a staff of 45 or so.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.