Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

iOS question: possible to have two versions of the same app?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2015, 6:00 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz
Original Poster

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite

I would like to have both the old version (which I currently have, having carefully avoided updating) of the United Airlines app and the current one on my iPhone.

(The older version does award flight search results coded by color -- immensely helpful -- but the new one actually lets you book from it. The old one no longer does, plus it doesn't have the IFE component that the new one does).

So, is it possible to have both? Can one rename one of the files and then install both *.ipa files? (I DO have both the current one and the old one in iTunes beause I've only had the current one for my iPad)

Anyone with wisdom or who has done this?
Old Oct 4, 2015, 6:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP, lowly UA 1K; Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold; National EC, Hertz PC
Unfortunately there is no way to do this that I am aware of.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 1:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
If you can change the app id of the old app, then sure it is possible. But UA wraps each new version with the same ID. So either do some hacking or ask UA to give you a special release. Good luck with that!
Old Oct 5, 2015, 1:45 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by stimpy
If you can change the app id of the old app, then sure it is possible. But UA wraps each new version with the same ID. So either do some hacking or ask UA to give you a special release. Good luck with that!
Even with a change of the app ID, won't online functionality be compromised?
Old Oct 5, 2015, 3:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Even with a change of the app ID, won't online functionality be compromised?
No, it shouldn't be. For example, you can open two browsers on your laptop and surf to united.com on each one at the same time.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 4:37 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
Not sure if this is helpful, but if you also have an iPad then you can update to the newer version there and keep the older one intact on your phone.

On a side note, I assume the app id is the same even when an app is downloaded from an itunes account attributed to a different country?
Old Oct 5, 2015, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aster
On a side note, I assume the app id is the same even when an app is downloaded from an itunes account attributed to a different country?
Yes unless the developer specifically uses a different app id for the other country, but that is a rare thing and companies in the travel business don't do that. It's not at all necessary for language reasons for instance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.