Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chromebook Advice

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2016, 12:23 pm

Programs: SQ & QF
Originally Posted by mia
I have had no problems with my ASUS Flip (aside from difficulty activating the 10 free GoGo sessions last year when flying on a specific airline). It works well with most of the Android apps that I have tried. However, I know only one other person who has one, and she did need to have hers serviced because it would not reboot.
We have about 160 units. I checked on the system and it was less than 40% it is 35%.
Old Nov 6, 2016, 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by pseudoswede
Miss Swede wants a Chromebook. Here is what I'm looking for in one...

1. 2-in-1 form factor
2. Smaller the better
3. 1080p screen

The best candidate I've seen so far is the Acer r13. Are there any other alternatives? I can budge on #3 if there is an 10/11" that is amazing.
You may also consider Asus Chromebook Flip (10.1") and Dell Chromebook 11(11.6").

I think I will have to go for the Acer Chromebook R11:

✓ 2-in-1 form factor: 360° hinge
✓ Smaller the better: 11.6"
✓ 1366 x 768 HD display

✓ Intel Celeron N3060 – N3150
✓ RAM: 2GB – 4GB
✓ Storage: 16GB – 32GB SSD
✓ $299.99 (might be different on sites)

This also has a good battery life. The new Acer Chromebook R13 is also a great choice and has a compelling specifications but the screen size is 13.3".
Old Feb 24, 2017, 6:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by ScottC
Once you get past the concept of only being able to work in what is essentially just a browser, you'll fall in love with pretty much any version.

The differences (other than price) is all down to build quality, features and of course the display. Personally, I'm not a fan of Acer - while they do make decent price/feature machines, they are just too cheaply made for my liking. The Toshiba Chromebook 2 comes in a version with a nice high-res display, something that is great for browsing.

The two I love most (and I own) are the new Acer Chromebook Flip, and the Chromebook Pixel.

Many BestBuy stores have a small store-in-store concept with several machines on display, though neither of the two I mentioned are in-store.

Wi-Fi has never really been a problem for me on any Chromebook, and I rely a lot on public Wi-Fi at convention spaces.

Negatives are that some basic stuff like screenshots, photo editing and certain file viewers can be a challenge.
Would the Acer flip (10 or 11 inch I assume) still be your recommendation? I'm considering replacing a Win10 machine I keep in a satellite office I use with a Chromebook. Or would something else be better now. Thanks.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Currently leaning towards the Samsung Chromebook Plus. $350 from Best Buy when you trade it any working laptop. I just so happen to have a 16-year-old one that still powers on.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 7:54 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
1. The original Asus Flip has a 10.1" screen, is that comfortable for your application? I only use mine when traveling.

2. Chromebooks include a feature which allows making a recovery image saved to a USB drive or SD card. The last time I tried, the process of making an image for the Flip would not complete (and I verified that it was a known model-specific issue). I don't know if this has been remedied.

3. Some newer Chromebooks have a squarer aspect ratio which may be better for working vs viewing video.

Last edited by mia; Feb 24, 2017 at 8:48 am
Old Feb 24, 2017, 9:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by mia
1. The original Asus Flip has a 10.1" screen, is that comfortable for your application? I only use mine when traveling.

2. Chromebooks include a feature which allows making a recovery image saved to a USB drive or SD card. The last time I tried, the process of making an image for the Flip would not complete (and I verified that it was a known model-specific issue). I don't know if this has been remedied.

3. Some newer Chromebooks have a squarer aspect ratio which may be better for working vs viewing video.
Thanks. Any suggestions on models with the better aspect ratio? I probably won't travel any with it but it would be nice to be able to use android apps on it I suspect. I have Office 365 and I think between that various Google or Apple web based programs most of my office suite type things are covered on anything with the chrome browser. It would be nice to be able to use Skype from the Android Play store on it.

Last edited by GadgetFreak; Feb 24, 2017 at 9:40 am
Old Feb 24, 2017, 10:00 am
mia

There is a new larger Flip:

https://www.asus.com/us/Notebooks/AS...k-Flip-C302CA/

16:9 rather than 16:10

Android apps were supposed to be supported at release, but were not. It appears this has been done in Chrome OS 56:

https://chromeunboxed.com/chrome-os-...ew-chromebook/

Note that if you want to install Android apps from any other source (such as Amazon) you need to put the device in Developer Mode.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 10:02 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, SWA CP
Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
Thanks. Any suggestions on models with the better aspect ratio?
I have the Acer Chromebook 14. This is my first experience with a Chromebook, and I've been quite pleased with the Acer 14 (~$300). I use the 14 with a mouse so I have no experience with the trackpad. I use a Surface3 to do real work. The aspect on the 14 is 1920x1080 so it does video (and audio) very well. If I were buying now, I'd probably lean towards the more expensive Samsung Chromebook Plus.

I'd recommend that you get a Chromebook that already has the capability for Android Apps. The Acer 14 only has that capability when you put into a very awkward 'Canary' developer mode. I don't recommend this unless you are a computer engineer. It is unclear when the 14 will get the full Android Apps capability.

Last edited by mike_la_jolla; Feb 24, 2017 at 1:46 pm
Old Feb 24, 2017, 10:20 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, SWA CP
I have Office 365
I've found it to be better to just remote login to my home machine to use the Office apps.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 5:11 pm
mia

Thanks. Any suggestions on models with the better aspect ratio?
It appears that the new Samsung Plus / Pro models have a squarer aspect ratio 3:2. This article (mid January) may prove helpful:

https://chromeunboxed.com/samsung-pl...etter-for-you/
Old Feb 26, 2017, 6:15 pm

Programs: Marriott Silver, Delta SkyMiles Member, Global Entry,AA Gold
Originally Posted by mia
It appears that the new Samsung Plus / Pro models have a squarer aspect ratio 3:2. This article (mid January) may prove helpful:

https://chromeunboxed.com/samsung-pl...etter-for-you/
The Samsung Plus Model Chromebook is already on sale at Best Buy.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 6:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I ordered the Plus for Miss Swede on Saturday. Since it's not in stock in the whole region, it will be shipped to me; arrival on Wednesday.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 10:48 am

Programs: SQ & QF
Dell now have a flip Chromebook

http://www.theverge.com/2017/1/25/14...book-education
Old Apr 20, 2017, 10:25 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Do Chromebooks support exFAT external drives?

One of the things I travel with a laptop for is to copy DSLR RAW files from SD cards onto drives on laptops as well as external hard drives formatted in exFAT for use on both Windows and Mac OS.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 10:20 pm

You know there really is no need, to purchase or own a windows PC if there is something you really need to and can only do on a windows machine. Simply subscribe to a service like PaperSpace, I pay $15 per month for a Virtual Machine that runs in my browser. I love it. No hardware headaches or hassle, no big cost for a 2nd machine. And lastly do not let anyone tell you can not get real work done on a Chromebook. I own a Chromebook and a Chromebox and get a huge amount of works for my paying job done. Sometimes it takes a little time to figure out a solution, but there are for many issues.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.