Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Google talk to roaming US #

Old Sep 1, 2015, 10:03 pm
Original Poster

Hi all

I have what I hope is a simple enough question.
My friend is traveling to Australia with a Sprint iPhone. She gets unlimited texts (a new thing Sprint is doing) but somewhat limited data. I am on AT&T and have a really low # of texts a month. Normally we use iMessage so it's not a problem. But for this trip, we'd like to stay I touch.

To avoid upgrading my text plan for the next couple weeks, i thought maybe Google Voice would be a good solution her texts would concert to data for me. A win. But... what about my replies back? Google says you can't send outside the U.S... but hers is a U.S. Phone.

Anyone have any experience with this? Can I text her back via GV and have it be sent to her as a text?

Thanks!
Old Sep 1, 2015, 10:56 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
If you're set on using a Google service, Hangouts is the app that you are looking for.

Among my contacts, WhatsApp is extremely popular for international texting.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 11:37 pm
Original Poster

Thanks. But on her end, those use data so they won't work...
Old Sep 1, 2015, 11:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
A US number that's roaming is still a US number - Google doesn't know that the phone is currently outside of the US and will work perfectly.

Googles only issues are with actual international numbers.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by delecto
Thanks. But on her end, those use data so they won't work...
They'll work when she can find wifi.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 12:25 pm

GV will require an Internet connection to send and receive texts, so you may as well continue using iMessage since she'll need data/WiFi anyway.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.