Reload this Page >

Need help asap! Laptop problem - Murphy's Law

Old Sep 1, 2015, 1:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium

Murphy (as in Murphy's Law) is a freekin' optimist. If he were in front of me I'd run down the s-o-b.

Anyway, need your help!

Let me start by saying yes I know I need a new laptop & I plan on getting one, but I'm in the midst of moving homes & I have a major trade show in Amsterdam next week. Having major problems w/ mine & need input on how to get it solved/what I might have done wrong.

Let me repeat - I know I need a new laptop. Responses saying you should get one with no other input will not be helpful (although I realize they'll give you great glee). So please responses on what to do.

I've got an older HP w/ Vista running Chrome (yes I know I need a new laptop). It's old but it's worked basically. I normally run it plugged into a/c.

Sat aft I used it no problem. Put it in hibernate mode. Go to turn it on the next morning, and the power light & wireless light light up briefly/it makes a soft whirring noise for the split second the light is lit but doesn't start. Try multiple times. Nada. I had left the window open overnight & it was cooler/pretty humid, so it occurred to me moisture might have affected it. Close windows & run fan over it for 8 hours. It comes back on. Phew - or so I thought. That's Sunday.

Yest movers are coming, but I've still got wifi going at home w/ Uverse because I figure I'll check biz emails inbetween, etc. Yest morning seems to be working ok.

Yest aft the computer sounded as though it was running hard/hot & I can't get it to start. Finally dawns on me that I had unplugged stuff when we were moving the desk, so perhaps the battery's worn down to zip & it's in total shut down mode. Plug it in & it quiets down. I leave it alone for a while & just use my Kindle Fire HD.

When I arrive back this morning before packing up the wifi router etc, I go to check email & computer starts strange, but I finally get online. In between as I'm cleaning/transporting some more household items I'm putting it into sleep or hibernate mode. I have no idea if I pushed a wrong button or something but the lights at top of laptop remain lit. When I go into hibernate & then unplug it to take it down to the kitchen to access there, it starts making noise as though it's going to complete battery power & lights at top of laptop remain lit even though as far as I know it's in hibernate mode.

Since I haven't managed to get to Charter yet - and because I have a major trade show in Amsterdam next week for which I'm still prepping - I head to the library to get #s of dif utilities, return journalist emails etc. Turn computer on (plugged in) & found that it was still running (although blank screen) while I was driving so down to 7%. So if it's supposedly in hibernate mode why did it run down the battery? Plug it in & it starts charging quickly. Log on to library's network. And while it says I'm connected, I can't access any website, email, nada. Disconnect, reconnect, doesn't work. I really need to be online! Restart the computer, connect again - still says connected but can't access internet. Shut down the computer vs just restart. Still not able to connect to internet.

Something about not able to connect to DNS server. I try some of the troubleshooting it suggests. Nada. Then I get a message saying plug in via Ethernet to local connection - uh, I'm at the library w/ wireless.

So I click on shut down the computer. It seems to shut down - except the lights are lit at the top (they normally aren't when shut down) & I'm pretty sure if I unplug it even though it's alledgely shut down, it's going to think it's on & will wear down the battery again.

Did I push a wrong button? Why is it acting back-asswards? Yes I know I need a new laptop, but I need to get this one to work for another 2 weeks.

Any help gratefully appreciated. And when we hopefully can this thing working again for a brief time you all can laugh at me then. Right now I just need advice on how to get it to work properly & not backwards.

Cheers.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 1:50 pm
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Does the machine have a removable battery, and have you removed it to be certain it is truly off before rebooting? That's what I sometimes need to do with my 2008 vintage PC running Windows XP.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 2:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
Just to run through the obvious that most people forget to try first

a. F12 (or whatever it is on your computer) to turn on/off wi-fi.

Can you log into the modem directly? Remember, Charter gives you a modem. They don't give you a wireless router unless you pay extra for it (~$6/mo) and it's always separate; most people supply their own wireless router which connects directly to the modem via ethernet cable.

Not connecting at the library has nothing to do with Charter.

b. Select hibernate/sleep from the Windows Start icon, rather than relying on pre-sets and simply closing the lid.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 2:04 pm
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Although I can't solve most of these problems, I'd suggest unplugging it and removing the battery, plugging it back in and trying to reboot it without the battery.

Sleep and hibernate have caused me endless problems over the years -- with HP and Vista in particular. Assuming you're always running using the power cord, I'd suggest deactivating those features entirely and shutting it down when you're not using it.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 3:15 pm
Original Poster

I googled and it is removable, but the guy in the 17 second video seemed to just snap it out. If it's scalable mine is stuck in place. There are also two screws so I'm not sure if those are for laptop itself or for battery. There seems to be a slide button above it, but when I slide it and try to move the batter. Buptkus.

I always use the start menu procedure to shut down or hibernate.

I was on uverse and inett was working fine. When I got to the library after unplugging router (after putting laptop into hibernation mode where it started thinking it was still on), I ran into issues. The WiFi button is on it tells me I've connected to the library's WiFi, but then says I'm not connected to the internet/not able to access anything - including the library's site.

I'm going to get charter because that's all that's available but Don't have it yet. Am definitely getting a wireless router, probably from then unless someone can walk me through it.

When I flipped my laptop to look at battery the power cord disconnected for a second and it started to go to battery mode/run even though I don't have it on. I've never run into this until today.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 3:40 pm
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
... There seems to be a slide button above it, but when I slide it and try to move the batter. Buptkus..
Often there are two sliding buttons. One would be a "lock", which needs to be moved to the open position. The other would be spring loaded, and needs to be held open while moving the battery.

Can you post a link to the video, or the model number?
Old Sep 1, 2015, 5:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mia
The other would be spring loaded, and needs to be held open while moving the battery.
That's what it was. The Geek Squad guy got the battery out in about 3 seconds.

Back at the library right now, typing this on the internet terminal since only part of the problem seems to be solved.

Started up the laptop & still no love on the internet part, which I really need. Since I can't access the internet I can't post the entire error code/suggestions from my laptop. I'm trying to set up press meetings at this big trade show & also write press releases. Downloading the releases to the library terminal, transferring them to USB to then work on my laptop is not optimal. And obviously the library is basically only open 9-6pm (later today) & not on Sunday.

Interestingly enough, when I powered up the laptop. Always before it would show the little power cord icon & tell me what the % is. Now that the battery is out, it has an X over the power cord icon. Well duh - blonde moment, the % was the juice I had in the battery. The little blue lights at the top of the keyboard are still lit even though I powered down the laptop. Not sure why? Before if I shut down the laptop all lights would go off.

It sounds like there is some type of network misconfiguration or IP problem or something? I vaguely remember years ago running into something like this & they walked me through adjusting something 4 or 6?

The wifi light is lit on the laptop when on. I connect to the library's wifi, but again buptkus when it gets to actually connecting to the internet. Normally when I access the library's wifi & then click on the chrome browser, I get a T&C that I have to agree to before I can access the internet. That T&C is not coming up (although it does on my Kindle Fire HD).

I'm starting up the laptop again & will try to access I-net/run back & forth between laptop & I-net terminal to post what it says.

Adding to Murphy's Law, besides today being a zoo with moving homes, this little gem just added to my day. I'm basically wearing a t-shirt, sweatpants & running shoes due to schlepping stuff. Drawstring on my sweatpants is loose, so I pull on it to tighten it/do a bow - and it breaks. The sweatpants started to fall to my ankles. So right now I'm trying to hold them up w/o it being obvious

Cheers.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 5:29 pm

It sounds like there is some type of network misconfiguration or IP problem or something? I vaguely remember years ago running into something like this & they walked me through adjusting something 4 or 6?

The wifi light is lit on the laptop when on. I connect to the library's wifi, but again buptkus when it gets to actually connecting to the internet. Normally when I access the library's wifi & then click on the chrome browser, I get a T&C that I have to agree to before I can access the internet. That T&C is not coming up (although it does on my Kindle Fire HD).

I'm starting up the laptop again & will try to access I-net/run back & forth between laptop & I-net terminal to post what it says.

Cheers.
Give this a try to reset the network settings
https://hrushikeshzadgaonkar.wordpre...dress-problem/

Also, when all else fails, a basic USB ethernet dongle and ethernet cord is a good debugging tool. Maybe your wifi adapter hardware piece is no longer working - meaning it might not be a software setting.

Did you update any software recently like system updates, driver updates, or new telco provided "getting started" setup software?

P.S. for the pants, try a towel tuck and roll it over a few times to make it tighter. Or jab together with a paperclip.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 5:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by freecia
Give this a try to reset the network settings
https://hrushikeshzadgaonkar.wordpre...dress-problem/

Also, when all else fails, a basic USB ethernet dongle and ethernet cord is a good debugging tool. Maybe your wifi adapter hardware piece is no longer working - meaning it might not be a software setting.

Did you update any software recently like system updates, driver updates, or new telco provided "getting started" setup software?

P.S. for the pants, try a towel tuck and roll it over a few times to make it tighter. Or jab together with a paperclip.
Will this work w/ Vista (which is what I have) & how do I get to the Command prompt?

"I have seen many people facing problem with autoconfiguration of IPv4 and IPv6 addresses in windows 7 operating system.

Basic Problems:
•Problem in connecting to the network with any IP input.
•Problem in changing or disabling Autoconfiguration IPv4 or IPv6 Address which is shown in ipconfig command.

Solutions:

1.Type ” netsh winsock reset ” ( without quotes ) in the Command Prompt and press Enter. ( Winsock is basically a specification of how networking software accesses the network services )
2.Type netsh interface ipv4 reset in command prompt and press Enter. ( For IPv4 address )
3.Type netsh interface ipv6 reset in command prompt and press Enter. ( For IPv6 address )
4.ipconfig /flushdns press Enter. ( Flushes the dns )

Finally Restart your Computer and you are done!"

Haven't updated anything lately. The laptop was in the car in the driveway when I shut down the wireless router. I didn't shut it down in any particular order. Just started pulling cables & the power cord. Would that have impacted the laptop/settings? I would think not given the laptop was in the car & not the house.

I'm going to Charter tomorrow to place order (have some questions), so there's nothing on Charter side yet that would interfere. And I'm not even sure when they'll be able to do the install.

Earlier today the wifi was working/I was sending email inbetween packing boxes, etc. Shut down the laptop (getting that battery issue), drop off boxes, head to the library, try to access the internet, nada. Get the DNS error code.

"This webpage is not available. DNS probe finished. Bag config. Click on details & it says DNS look up failed. Check DNS settings. Try disabling network prediction. Allow Chrome to access your firewall in anti-virus settings."

Just discovered the sweatpants have pockets. If I keep my hands in the pockets clutching them inside, they seem to stay up. Otherwise a grab to prevent them going to the ankles. Will try the rolling them up thing.

Cheers.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 6:06 pm
mia

how do I get to the Command prompt?
Open the Command Prompt window by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, clicking All Programs, clicking Accessories, and then clicking Command Prompt.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 6:22 pm
Original Poster

Got it. Did what it said and am now restarting computer, so hopefully it will work. Library only open for a bit longer.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 6:41 pm
Original Poster

It didn't work. Library is closing in a few minutes. Will be on again in the morning.

Cheers.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 7:13 am
mia

I suspect that the library's splash screen, where you accept the terms, is the problem. If possible, try to go somewhere else such as a Starbucks or McDonalds to see if you can achieve a working internet connection. This will rule out a variety of other causes.

If you return to the library try using Chrome in Incognito mode, or another browser (Internet Explorer) for the initial sign in.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm left scratching my head as to why you must wait two weeks to purchase such a critical business tool.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 11:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mia
I suspect that the library's splash screen, where you accept the terms, is the problem. If possible, try to go somewhere else such as a Starbucks or McDonalds to see if you can achieve a working internet connection. This will rule out a variety of other causes.

If you return to the library try using Chrome in Incognito mode, or another browser (Internet Explorer) for the initial sign in.
The problem is that I'm not getting to the splash page to accept the terms. It tells me I'm connected but no splash page. So will head to Starbucks or McDs & try it there. Tried IE yest eve & same problem.

Appreciate those who are offering suggestions & trying to help me get through this short term.

Originally Posted by MaxBuck
I'm left scratching my head as to why you must wait two weeks to purchase such a critical business tool.
This problem started yesterday afternoon - ie, less than 24 hours ago. I'm in the midst of moving from a 1,900 sq ft home to a smaller one that's in more rural area, and dealing with movers, furniture, 200+ boxes, calling utility companies when I'm in town to get things set up such as gas, electric, Charter (and hopefully they can install this week). I leave in less than a week for an overseas business trip. I'm not going to buy a laptop overseas.

I'm juggling writing press releases with contacting journalists etc, in the final build up to the show & trying to juggle the move w/ that, which is already sucky timing/overload. I've got back-up via Carbonite. But the reality is that if I can get the current laptop to work/access the internet until I go overseas vs. going out & looking at new laptops & then buying one, getting familiar with a new operating system and getting files transferred over while still trying to do the work stuff/timelines for the trade show that's less than a week away, that would be better.

As mentioned earlier, if Murphy (as in M's Law) was in front of me I'd run him over with my car!

Cheers.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.