Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Need help asap! Laptop problem - Murphy's Law

Need help asap! Laptop problem - Murphy's Law

Old Sep 2, 2015, 2:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Ok, evidently my laptop no longer likes the library because I'm at McDonalds and able to access the internet to post this.

Unfortunately it's one of those McD's with a kids play room & the power outlet stations are next to it - why? (shakes head). So can't make journalist calls, but will be able to download releases/upload. Might move to Starbucks as it might be quieter.

So - any thoughts on why my laptop doesn't like my library any longer?

Cheers.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 6:59 pm

Enter the url for the library splash screen instead of relying on redirection.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 7:13 am

Programs: UA 1K
Here's my two cents... you admit you need a new computer. You know you're going to have to buy one anyway. You're dealing with a lot of stress in your life right now, and this trade show is very important to your business.

In my head, this is the simplest 30 minute errand run in the world.

Step 1: Stand up. Walk out of McDonalds.
Step 2: Drive to computer store. Buy new laptop.
Step 3: Live life stress free and much more happily.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 7:15 am
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
The problem is that I'm not getting to the splash page to accept the terms. It tells me I'm connected but no splash page.
Understood.

Ok, evidently my laptop no longer likes the library because I'm at McDonalds and able to access the internet to post this.
Did you try opening a Chrome Incognito Window at the Library, and navigating to a common site such as google.com?

The fact that Internet Explorer also does not display the Splash Screen suggests that the problem may be in Windows rather than the browser, but in Chrome you could go to Menu > History > Clear Browsing Data > Obliterate the following items from: _the beginning of time_ > tick all the boxes > [Clear Browsing Data]

This will delete all of your cookies, saved passwords, automated logins etc. (If you will have trouble logging in to some sites because you do not remember the passwords you may first wish to try it without ticking Saved Passwords.)

Enter the url for the library splash screen instead of relying on redirection.
How would she know that URL?
Old Sep 3, 2015, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

... the reality is that if I can get the current laptop to work/access the internet until I go overseas vs. going out & looking at new laptops & then buying one, getting familiar with a new operating system and getting files transferred over while still trying to do the work stuff/timelines for the trade show that's less than a week away, that would be better.
Well, OK, but Windows 7 operates functionally almost identically to Vista, and it's still pretty easy to get a new laptop with Win7. So the operating system does not need to present an issue unless you want it to.

What you've described to us here seems like a whole lot more effort than simply buying a new laptop, but each to his own.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 9:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mia
Understood.

Did you try opening a Chrome Incognito Window at the Library, and navigating to a common site such as google.com?

The fact that Internet Explorer also does not display the Splash Screen suggests that the problem may be in Windows rather than the browser, but in Chrome you could go to Menu > History > Clear Browsing Data > Obliterate the following items from: _the beginning of time_ > tick all the boxes > [Clear Browsing Data]

This will delete all of your cookies, saved passwords, automated logins etc. (If you will have trouble logging in to some sites because you do not remember the passwords you may first wish to try it without ticking Saved Passwords.)

How would she know that URL?
Did the clear all browsing history. Also went incognito. Nothing.

The IT guy at the library did the splash page url & it didn't work either, so the consensus is that "something's interfering with this & it could be anything".

Anyway, I'm headed to Charter to order I-net & with luck will get the install tomorrow. Otherwise it will be Tuesday. Will go to Starbucks to access I-net there so I can get through the stuff I need to get done today.

You all are techies, which I'm not. Getting a new laptop, getting software installed, files transferred, etc, to me is not a 30 minute job. Granted, this has taken longer than I anticipated but I'm bouncing between the library's terminal & my laptop.

And until I get Charter at the house I'm dependent upon public wifi spots & their hours, regardless if I have the current laptop or the new one. I would have preferred the library because I can reserve a quiet room where I could work on laptop & make the phone calls I need to do so.

Anyway, thank you all for your help. Here's hoping there's not a problem w/ Charter too & accessing the I-net! I say that because when it comes to me and technology & Murphy's Law, we're talking a perfect storm.

Cheers.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 9:33 am
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

I think this problem is "Captive portal detection". It mentions here that this capability first appeared in Windows Vista, and I have essentially no experience with Windows versions newer than XP, but no doubt someone with sufficient Windows technical knowledge could do better than it could be anything.

Some technical references here:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/...17(WS.10).aspx

...but I don't see any straightforward troubleshooting checklist.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 11:03 am
Original Poster

Thanks.Will check that. At Starbucks and connect to WiFi but again not to internet. I have never had a problem connecting at a Starbucks before. It seems weird (or maybe not) that this all started when I was sitting down the universe router and pulling cables. Of course it may have nothing to do with that, bit when something happens I always think we'll it worked until this. At my house I was using internet until movers got everything out. Take everything apart and go to library.o to library an hour later and nothing. The IT guy did say I don't know what all this att stuff is, but I didn.t see what he was looking at.

Charter is scheduled for late tomorrow aft, but I'm worried this won't work with it either.I'm in the midst of writing press releases and journalist calls so can't do much 're finding new laptop until I get them done with the dif countries timezones.

Cheers.

Last edited by SkiAdcock; Sep 3, 2015 at 11:09 am
Old Sep 3, 2015, 11:11 am
Original Poster

What do I click on to run as admin? I'm trying something from the other night and the it guy clicked on something to get me to that.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 11:50 am
mia

• Right-click the icon that you use to run the program, and then click Properties.
  • On the Compatibility tab, click to select the Run this program as an administrator check box, and then click OK.
Source:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/922708
Old Sep 3, 2015, 12:21 pm

You all are techies, which I'm not. Getting a new laptop, getting software installed, files transferred, etc, to me is not a 30 minute job. Granted, this has taken longer than I anticipated but I'm bouncing between the library's terminal & my laptop.
If you live near a Microsoft store, they'll be more than happy to assist you with transferring your data over from your old PC to a new one. Yes, this is throwing money at your problem, but you've already admitted that you don't have the time to DIY, and time == money anyway.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 12:29 pm
Original Poster

Am at m d' s and able to connect.

Anyway, besides all this will need input for what I need in New laptop. Things to keep in mind are that I'm not techie, have a tendency to keep tech stuff forever, use basic things like word/excel/PowerPoint, Skype, occasional streaming, solitaire, eset for anti virus, carbonate for back up, Adobe reader, etc. No video gaming. Windows vs mac
Old Sep 3, 2015, 1:07 pm

Am at m d' s and able to connect.

Anyway, besides all this will need input for what I need in New laptop. Things to keep in mind are that I'm not techie, have a tendency to keep tech stuff forever, use basic things like word/excel/PowerPoint, Skype, occasional streaming, solitaire, eset for anti virus, carbonate for back up, Adobe reader, etc. No video gaming. Windows vs mac
I am sure I will get flamed incessantly for this, but:

Buy a Mac.

No, I am not kidding. Seriously, get yourself a Macbook. If you tend to keep a computer longer than most, I think a Mac will make you very happy. Macs, in particular, tend to permit you upgrade the operating system over a greater number of releases. While not necessarily quantifiable, a 4 year old Mac laptop doesn't "feel" its age like a Windows machine seems to. Your use cases are all well within the scope of Mac OS X and Microsoft Office for the Mac.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 1:21 pm
Original Poster

I'm pretty much a Windows gal, as it's what I'm used to after working in corporate America. The other night's IT guy said he switched to Mac, citing what you mentioned. I just don't think I can order a Mac and learn it right away when I'm under the gun for this trade show & dealing with the move.

When I bought the current laptop I own a FTer was in town & went with me to check things out/helped me pick one out/installed/transferred software, etc. I'm on Amazon's website right now & getting overwhelmed with all the choices/specs/styles/brands, etc, etc.

I was going to try & order something for tomorrow, but at this point I just think I need to get through the next few days for the trade show even if I have to add a few steps re: files/accessing net/jury rig what I've got.

Cheers.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 4:19 pm

If you wind up waiting to buy a computer until after your trade show, I'd recommend the following:

Go to an Apple Store, tell them your needs and let them tell you if it's possible with a Mac. Hang out in the Store for awhile and play with the machines. I think you'll find that they're not as intimidating as you fear.

Go to Best Buy, or wherever, and explain to a sales person what you need. Let them recommend some Windows machines. See if you can hang out and play with the machines.

You do know that you can run Windows on Macs, don't you? Also, that Microsoft produces versions of it's productivity software for Macs?

The most important thing:

Keep an open mind and make an informed decision.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.