Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

How can I work with electrical outlets that don't “hold” plugs?

How can I work with electrical outlets that don't “hold” plugs?

Old Aug 30, 2015, 1:06 pm

Why are you using a heavy voltage converter? Almost all phone/camera/notebook chargers are nowadays compatible with both 110/220-240V. A small plug converter that will do it. Otherwise, I'd use a Euro extension cord, so that your heavy converter lies on the ground or a table.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 4:25 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
Originally Posted by Marathon Man
Might you have a link to it or a picture of it?
Ummm... Something like one of these?

http://www.screwfix.com/p/masterplug...HAQ&kpid=58171

Edit: Here's a Euro to UK example. I normally get a sparky, I know, to make me one:

Amazon Amazon
Old Aug 30, 2015, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Originally Posted by ChangingNappies
Why are you using a heavy voltage converter? Almost all phone/camera/notebook chargers are nowadays compatible with both 110/220-240V. A small plug converter that will do it. Otherwise, I'd use a Euro extension cord, so that your heavy converter lies on the ground or a table.
Originally Posted by Internaut
Ummm... Something like one of these?

http://www.screwfix.com/p/masterplug...HAQ&kpid=58171

Edit: Here's a Euro to UK example. I normally get a sparky, I know, to make me one:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Anti-Fire-In.../dp/B00UYY5F7A
I can tell you that even with just a plug in the socket at the hotel as shown in my picture, the connection was loose, so it wasnt really the weight of the heavy converter that caused anything. It is the looseness of the holes or prongs in them.

I have not been completely convinced that a US charge head can go into a EU outlet or VS without voltage issues. If I am wrong, that is good. But I would hate to blow up my phone 9fry it) on heresay. So having a converter is safer to me until I can be shown otherwise.

Again, the issue is the connection to the main plug holes of a plane or a hotel room wall outlet. Even an extension chord or a power strip as shown in links above will still have to be connected. Even a multi port portable USB power charger will also eventually have to be plugged in to be recharged.

Now I know with some cigarette lighter chargers for your car, there is on the conductive housing a sort of almost spring-like loaded snap or widener of sorts that helps to make the connection stick when going into the cig lighter hole. This sort of thing needs to be on plug prongs. But I aint found one yet.

I will get a EU/UK power strip and/or extension chord... that's about the only thing I do not already have so yeah more stuff to bring with me.

Of course you all do notice that many EU outlets are inset from the wall so you need a sort of extender to bring it more flush to plug most things in anyway. My heavy converters do not have a long enough extender on them so I need something extra anyway.

I am going to go fire up the old soldering iron and melt down some lead. I shall dip some prongs into the molten concoction and give it a whirl on my upcoming trip to Munich.

Prost!
Old Aug 30, 2015, 7:19 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus
I have not been completely convinced that a US charge head can go into a EU outlet or VS without voltage issues. If I am wrong, that is good. But I would hate to blow up my phone 9fry it) on heresay. So having a converter is safer to me until I can be shown otherwise.
No need to rely on hearsay. Take a close look at your devices' power supplies. You might need a bright light and a magnifying lens to read it, but each supply has its input power specifications printed on it. Nearly any device made in the last ten years will say something like "Input: 100-240V 50/60Hz", which covers every wall outlet in the world.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ajGoes
No need to rely on hearsay. Take a close look at your devices' power supplies. You might need a bright light and a magnifying lens to read it, but each supply has its input power specifications printed on it. Nearly any device made in the last ten years will say something like "Input: 100-240V 50/60Hz", which covers every wall outlet in the world.
Thanks for that tip
I dunno my electrics--my late father had that skill as he was a EE.

This would mean I may not need the heavy block converters anymore, but still will need adapters and the ability to get all plugged in
Old Aug 30, 2015, 7:32 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by ajGoes
Seconded. I haven't used anything but an adapter for my electronics in Europe for the last ten years and haven't fried a computer, tablet, cell phone, GPS, or anything else. Through several sources, I've heard that hair dryers aren't so reliably protected, but I don't use one of those normally unless the hotel/B&B provides it and then, it's only to dry clothes, not my hair.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by lwildernorva
Seconded. I haven't used anything but an adapter for my electronics in Europe for the last ten years and haven't fried a computer, tablet, cell phone, GPS, or anything else. Through several sources, I've heard that hair dryers aren't so reliably protected, but I don't use one of those normally unless the hotel/B&B provides it and then, it's only to dry clothes, not my hair.
as other people said, as long as your device says 110-240V, you can use a simple pin-head converter

if your device says only 110V (and the country you're going to uses 240V), you need a travel converter that steps the voltage up to 240V (or vice versa). This converter has a limit (eg 1000Watts).

Your hairdryer typically runs above 1000 Watts, so it's not good to plug into the travel converter and overload it
Old Aug 30, 2015, 8:33 pm

On the voltage conversion issue, I notice that you have a lot of iDevices. No Apple product I've owned has required a voltage converter. The first one I took overseas was one of the first PowerBooks, to the UK, in 1995. I wasn't sure, so I called Apple Support and asked.

I've since learned about "reading the fine print on the plug," as others recommended. You can also find this info in the specs, or you can check at an Apple Store.

So far, though, I've done OK with just an adapter with three iPods, an iPhone, an iPad, and at least two different laptops over the past twenty years. Travel outside the U.S. has included the UK, most of Western Europe, and Japan.

I don't know why they made this decision, but it seems at some point they decided to make one power supply that works worldwide. Whatever their reasoning, it's beneficial for us as consumers.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 9:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Possible simple and cheap/easy solution arrived upon!

Firstly, thank you to those with suggestions on devices--I did buy two things mentioned in this and another thread--a 5 USB port adapter and also the portable charger that is said to work on more than just phones.

As well, thanks for other tips in this thread. Turns out my devices includes the following and everything appears to check out:

Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 - 110/240
iphone 5s's - 110/240
iPad Minis - 110/240
new Mac Air my wife sometimes travels with - 110/240

The issue in this thread was how to solve loose plug problems typically found in hotels and on planes.

Fatter plug prongs could work and to make that happen if they exist somewhere, but while I look further for them, I needed to see what else could be done.

I did try to melt up a pool of solder and dip some plug ends into it, but I couldn't really make it stick. But then I decided to test the use of simple kitchen tin foil! This you could bring with you in a small square and tear off a piece to wrap around the prongs of any plug. Now when you push it into the socket, contact is made but the looseness should lessen. I tested its actual use and ability to still be a working plug at my house and I am happy to report nothing has gone wrong--no shorts or fires. I had wrapped some tin foil around the end of the prongs of an extension chord and then plugged that into another one, and then plugged that into the wall. The fit between the two chords was tight and contact was made so charging could be done. I did it this way so that if any tin got left behind when pulling the wrapped prongs out, it would only affect the second chord, not my wall outlet.

I have not yet tested the tin plan on any outlets as all mine at home are good and not loose.

In the case of a hotel or plane, well, I will hopefully leave no tin foil bits behind, but if I do, then maybe this will entice them to get maintenance out on the job to replace the aging outlet anyway.

I will report back when home from Germany later in September.

MM
Old Aug 31, 2015, 12:37 am

As well, thanks for other tips in this thread. Turns out my devices includes the following and everything appears to check out:

Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 - 110/240
iphone 5s's - 110/240
iPad Minis - 110/240
new Mac Air my wife sometimes travels with - 110/240
Thanks to power electronics advances for multivoltage tiny chargers!

The issue in this thread was how to solve loose plug problems typically found in hotels and on planes.

Fatter plug prongs could work and to make that happen if they exist somewhere, but while I look further for them, I needed to see what else could be done.
They do exist. Unearthed europlugs' pins are 4mm wide. Earthed plugs' pins are 4.8mm. If you get an extension cord, get the earthed version.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 2:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
I find US sockets are quite flimsy when faced with the weight of a chunky UK plug and adapter which together protrude about 4" from the socket. The Euro ones are more stable as they are inset.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 6:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

They do exist. Unearthed europlugs' pins are 4mm wide. Earthed plugs' pins are 4.8mm. If you get an extension cord, get the earthed version.
wow, where'd this tidbit of valuled info come from? That's exactly what need!

I will have to google and buy now... After all, I want to enjoy Munich, not spend my time trying to translate that in some German BestBuy while I should be drinking in beer tents.

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
I find US sockets are quite flimsy when faced with the weight of a chunky UK plug and adapter which together protrude about 4" from the socket. The Euro ones are more stable as they are inset.

Agreed, unless said sockets were put in and not abused in the last 10-15 years.

I think your case is similar to mine in that if we had an extension chord or power strip, we could manage how and where the outlets of that are positioned for our use, and only have the one connection at the wall outlet be the crucial one.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 7:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

The googlatory information on the earthed vs unearthed cables was total Greek to me. But I then googled "Earthed European cables" and got this.

I like the black cable shown and also, if scrolling down, the power srtip.

Ya think these are good? I cant find info that I can easily decipher telling me so, other than this is what came up.

https://www.110220volts.com/schuko-e...FcsXHwoddboNUA

Thanks
Old Aug 31, 2015, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lwildernorva
Through several sources, I've heard that hair dryers aren't so reliably protected, but I don't use one of those normally unless the hotel/B&B provides it and then, it's only to dry clothes, not my hair.
Originally Posted by paperwastage
Your hairdryer typically runs above 1000 Watts, so it's not good to plug into the travel converter and overload it
It's not about protection - it's about the input voltage the thing can take. Small electronics chargers have been made using switching power supplies for the last 10+ years. Switching supplies automatically convert the input voltage to the required output using solid state electronics. Hair dryers don't have a power supply and instead are basically a heating coil and fan motor, both designed to run off the mains voltage in the country of origin. A lot of hair dryers are dual voltage, however, but must be manually switched to the other voltage.

In any case, I'd be very very very careful about wrapping foil around prongs because the foil is liable to get stuck in the outlet and create a shock hazard.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
It's not about protection - it's about the input voltage the thing can take. Small electronics chargers have been made using switching power supplies for the last 10+ years. Switching supplies automatically convert the input voltage to the required output using solid state electronics. Hair dryers don't have a power supply and instead are basically a heating coil and fan motor, both designed to run off the mains voltage in the country of origin. A lot of hair dryers are dual voltage, however, but must be manually switched to the other voltage.

In any case, I'd be very very very careful about wrapping foil around prongs because the foil is liable to get stuck in the outlet and create a shock hazard.
Indeed. But it's sorta one and done. You carefully wrap it on the prongs, stick it in the socket and don't touch it til you leave said hotel or plane.

I don't want a problem to occur but if something gets left behind, well, like I said, the maintenance department will have to come up and fix it. This may entice them to actually do so and install a new and good outlet there.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.