Wiki Posts
Search

Pure Wi-Fi Texting or Voice App?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2015, 11:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA P4L, WN, BA, DL, UA, HHonors, IHG
Pure Wi-Fi Texting or Voice App?

There are several bluetooth texting applications, which use your smartphone's BT radio to communicate with the smartphone of a friend. These apps communicate directly, phone to phone, with no need for wi-fi or cellular signal / data plan. An Android example is "Bluetooth Chat." An IOS example is "Air Chat - Encrypted Bluetooth Chat Messenger."

BT has a range of about 10 meters, and wi-fi has a range 10x that.

I would really like the extra range that wi-fi can provide. Are there any wi-fi texting or voice apps (maybe walkie-talkie mode) that use the wi-fi radio of a smartphone to communicate directly with another smartphone?

Last edited by Middle_Seat; Aug 18, 2015 at 11:13 am
Old Aug 18, 2015, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...firechat&hl=en
Old Aug 18, 2015, 12:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA P4L, WN, BA, DL, UA, HHonors, IHG
Smile FireChat Looks Very Promising

Thank you ScottC! FireChat looks even more advanced than I had imagined, because it evidently creates a mesh network with Bluetooth, wi-fi and / or broadband. It seems to support text and photos, but not voice. And, there are clients for IOS and Android.

The best instructions for FireChat that I've found so far are at http://opengarden.com/how-to/

It does seem that the first decisions you make when creating an account, like username and whether-or-not FireChat can use your internet connection, cannot be changed later on.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.