Caller ID Spoof?

Old Aug 14, 2015, 7:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
Caller ID Spoof?

Here's an odd one... I'm pretty sure the answer is no, but if anyone out there would know it's you guys.

Obviously, like all of us, I travel. I route 95% of my calls to a VOIP number which follows me around - it rings my cell, my desk, and if necessary, a local SIM all simultaneously.

I can receive SMS messages on my VOIP number, so that helps when people text me even if I'm using a local SIM in South Africa, or the Philippines or wherever.

What I'd love to have is a "Caller ID spoof." When I'm on a different SIM and call someone back, I don't want them calling me back on that number. Or catching the clients who get used to calling my North American cellular number (because that's where I am 90% of the time anyway) when I have a local SIM in.

My thought was - it would be great to truly have a 'master number.' That master number can be used as my Caller ID, receive texts, send texts from that number, etc, no matter what number I'm 'really' using.

I know there are some software apps that allow you to place individual VOIP calls from a program on my phone where I can uniquely set the caller ID for each call, but I'm looking for something much more substantive.

Any thoughts?
Old Aug 14, 2015, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I believe Skype can do something like this, after a fashion.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 10:37 am

Programs: DL DM MM; Hilton Diamond; Hertz 5*
Caller ID Spoof?

Have you tried Google Voice
Old Aug 14, 2015, 11:02 am

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
I believe Skype can do something like this, after a fashion.
Skype lets me send SMS using wifi/data from wherever in the world I am and it allows me to "show my number" as my normal mobile/cell number. The recipient can then SMS me back which arrives on my phone.

https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA6...ges-from-skype
Old Aug 14, 2015, 1:22 pm
Original Poster

I'm more concerned about the sent calls from my cell, versus outgoing Skype calls.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Apps exist, their legality will depend on your jurisdiction. They are not legal in the US.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 4:22 pm

Who's your VOIP provider?

VOIP.ms will allow you to designate a call-in number that will allow outbound calls to any other number while displaying any caller ID profile you wish.

That is:

1) Use your cell to dial call-in number

2) Enter your PIN to authenticate

3) Dial outbound number

4) Transmit caller ID of your choice and initiate call at VOIP.ms rates
Old Aug 14, 2015, 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by WIRunner
Apps exist, their legality will depend on your jurisdiction. They are not legal in the US.
Caller-ID spoofing is legal in the US unless it is done for a fraudulent purpose. Congress considered a broader ban but it got watered down based on organized opposition to it from several industries. Roamer has an app which will do what you want in the Apple and Google App stores. It also has a callback number which is handy. Line2 can act as a master number if you want. Your problem will be outbound calls not over VOIP will be pricey. TelnaMobile and Piranha Mobile's SIM can spoof your main caller-id. On Telna it is in the web portal. In Piranha you need to make a special inquiry. A Google Project Fi account might pull off what you want as well.
Old Aug 15, 2015, 6:48 pm

Any wholesale VOIP provider will let you do this (you HAVE to be able to do it if you do any kind of trunking, since you'll have more DIDs than actual outgoing lines.) An ISDN PRI provider will let you do it for the same reason, but that's not going to help in OP's case.

I use flowroute.com. Easy website to use, great rates. You just need an app that supports SIP (I use zoiper) and you can use any caller ID you want. As others have said, if you do this fraudulently, you could be in legal trouble.
Old Aug 15, 2015, 8:59 pm
Original Poster

Absolutely not fraudulent... I'm just trying to avoid confusing my clients when I call them.

I'll tell you what - GoogleFi looks awesome. I only wish.
Old Aug 16, 2015, 6:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by Boogie711
Absolutely not fraudulent... I'm just trying to avoid confusing my clients when I call them.

I'll tell you what - GoogleFi looks awesome. I only wish.
Not available in Canada? Pity!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.