Please help me find an ultrabook

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Please help me find an ultrabook

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2015, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by maortega15
I remember years ago where you can have some software not to be installed like today. Today, you have a 12 month trial of McAfee preinstalled on Dell systems. I'ts a hassle to uninstall all bloatware that comes with it.
Still possible to delete it on many business-line build-to-order systems.

Many thanks for your suggestions. Happen to know when the best time is to make my purchase? I'll be needing it by December for my Hawaii holiday and would like about a month or so to test it in case of any issues that might come up.
If you're waiting to see the new Skylake machines (and/or see if there are price cuts on the current generation ones) there is still no official release date but the very strong rumors are around the middle of September, which would have systems being announced and orderable over the next couple of weeks, and actually available sometime in October.

Lead time on new build-to-order systems tends to be about 3 weeks -- although there are exceptions; I ordered my M3800 around mid-November 2013 about 2 days after ordering started and got it at the beginning of January, so about 6 weeks for that one. It's usually much shorter on established models.

If you want a month to burn it in before your trip, you probably want to give yourself at least the 3 weeks lead time for a build-to-order model in case that's what you end up wanting. If you don't see anything new (model-wise) you'd like, the old stuff should overlap with the new for a couple of months.

As for prices, other than the inevitable holiday sales starting around Thanksgiving, your guess at good timing is as good as anyone else's, and the inevitable holiday sales are rarely very good on hot new models.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I remember years ago where you can have some software not to be installed like today. Today, you have a 12 month trial of McAfee preinstalled on Dell systems. I'ts a hassle to uninstall all bloatware that comes with it.
I would highly recommend visiting a Microsoft Store at a local mall (if you're in the US). Any computer sold through the store (Microsoft Signature series) have little to no bloatware pre-installed. Their prices are also reasonable; and you can occasionally find a great deal.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pseudoswede
I would highly recommend visiting a Microsoft Store at a local mall (if you're in the US). Any computer sold through the store (Microsoft Signature series) have little to no bloatware pre-installed. Their prices are also reasonable; and you can occasionally find a great deal.
Does the Microsoft Store handle warranty issues, or do you have to go back to the manufacturers for it? If the latter, I'd still say for Dell/Lenovo, buying direct is preferable even if it requires doing a manual reinstall to be rid of their abominable images.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by nkedel
Does the Microsoft Store handle warranty issues, or do you have to go back to the manufacturers for it? If the latter, I'd still say for Dell/Lenovo, buying direct is preferable even if it requires doing a manual reinstall to be rid of their abominable images.
Looks like you have to call a phone number, describe the problem, then they will direct you to either a local repair center, the Microsoft Store, or they will provide you a shipping label to send it to an authorized repair depot.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 10:38 pm

Like I've said in my previous replies, I will not consider the Mac. It would be too much of a hassle with buying extra software alone.
It's not a Mac if you run Windows on it. I own one, I never run it as a Mac, it's just a very thin/light Windows notebook. There is no hassle in buying any extra software. The one program that's needed to run Windows is called Boot Camp and it comes preinstalled on the Mac, and with it you boot straight into Windows, it's as if the Mac OS doesn't exist.

BJ
Old Aug 29, 2015, 6:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by boltjames
It's not a Mac if you run Windows on it. I own one, I never run it as a Mac, it's just a very thin/light Windows notebook. There is no hassle in buying any extra software. The one program that's needed to run Windows is called Boot Camp and it comes preinstalled on the Mac, and with it you boot straight into Windows, it's as if the Mac OS doesn't exist.
OTOH, you're giving up a feature you're paying quite a bit for if you choose to do that, and ending up with a non-standard keyboard and somewhat poorly supported hardware in terms of Windows drivers the process. Plus, the Windows license isn't included, so if you don't have a "free" one through an employer (which is to say, they paid for it) or an extra one for some other reason, that's an additional non-trivial cost.

If you like the hardware that much, *shrug*, but I don't get it; from a purely hardware perspective it's good stuff but not THAT good.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 7:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pseudoswede
That's actually what I plan on doing. Less bloatware.
Yes. I just recently spoke with them via chat. There are pros and cons below of getting it through Microsoft and getting via the manufacturer which is listed below.

Pros of getting it via Microsoft
-Less bloatware (Main reason why I intend to purchase through them)
-Support included for both hardware and software related issues.
-Can get it online or in store via Microsoft Stores.

Cons of getting via Microsoft
-Less customization options of specific build you want.
-Support is only 2 years maximum which you have to go through the manufacturer afterwards.
-Less able to negotiate

Pros of direct
-More customization options for specific deals you want
-Support for hardware is 3-4 years maximum
-Much more able to negotiate

Cons of direct
-Support is for hardware only. For Windows and other related issues, you must get a protection plan for support issues for software or contact Microsoft for Windows issues.
-Too much bloatware installed.

That's all I can think of for now.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

-Support is for hardware only. For Windows and other related issues, you must get a protection plan for support issues for software or contact Microsoft for Windows issues.
-Too much bloatware installed.
I don't get the level of concern for either of those issues (bloatware is easily removed by reinstalling Windows in the worst case), but if those are concerns, sounds like the Microsoft Signature option is a good one for you.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 6:31 pm
Original Poster

I don't get the level of concern for either of those issues (bloatware is easily removed by reinstalling Windows in the worst case), but if those are concerns, sounds like the Microsoft Signature option is a good one for you.
Bloatware wouldn't be that of a problem to be honest, but if there is an option like Microsoft where they lessen it if not completely remove bloatware, then I'll consider it.

Moving on to support, Microsoft covers both hardware and operating system issues. The manufacturer only covers hardware related issues if a physical part needs to be replaced. I tend to have more operating system issues down the road. If I need support for Windows, Dell will either charge for a one time issue or multiple issues. And they seem to have trouble fixing the root cause of the problem. I remember years ago, I was on the phone and chat with Dell regarding an issue with Microsoft Office. They took about an hour or so getting the issue resolved. Experienced the same issue again, contacted Microsoft and the issue was resolved in a matter of minutes. The same issue.

Also, Microsoft tech experts seems easier to deal with compared to Dell's.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Moving on to support, Microsoft covers both hardware and operating system issues. The manufacturer only covers hardware related issues if a physical part needs to be replaced. I tend to have more operating system issues down the road. If I need support for Windows, Dell will either charge for a one time issue or multiple issues. And they seem to have trouble fixing the root cause of the problem. I remember years ago, I was on the phone and chat with Dell regarding an issue with Microsoft Office. They took about an hour or so getting the issue resolved. Experienced the same issue again, contacted Microsoft and the issue was resolved in a matter of minutes. The same issue.
I still don't understand what there is to support with Windows, but again -- if you need/want the support with consumer software, and it sounds like you want that, you are not going to get it from the hardware manufacturers.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 9:08 pm
Original Poster

I still don't understand what there is to support with Windows
Blue screen errors, registry errors, pretty much anything that makes your computer go nuts!
Old Aug 29, 2015, 10:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Also, Microsoft tech experts seems easier to deal with compared to Dell's.
Then budget an extra ~$120 for a retail copy of Windows. [shrug][/shrug]

Or buy a Surface Pro 3 with a full MS extended warranty.

Or buy any one of the hundreds of other choices available to you.

If you really are looking for a new machine and this isn't just a "what if" exercise, then at some point you are going to have to realize that there is no perfect solution, bite the bullet, and make a choice and then live with that choice.

Blue screen errors, registry errors, pretty much anything that makes your computer go nuts!
I haven't seen a BSOD that wasn't hardware related [RAM usually] since XP SP-1.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 12:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm not sure what a "registry error" is, never seen one. (I've seen corrupted hives, but that generally is a result of serious disk problems and usually comes down to failing hardware.)

For blue screens of death crashes, etc, and more subtle errors, I've never seen one where the tech support response is likely to be helpful. Modern versions of Windows are hugely more reliable than XP was, and most crashed come down to:
1) User tinkering with unsupported drivers (mainly a gamer/hobbyist thing)
2) Malware
3) Hardware failure (as anrkitec said, most often RAM if BSOD specifically.)

System restore actually works on Vista and later versions, and mostly fixes #1.
Only real response to #2 is regular backups and system images.
Hardware warranty covers #3, assuming you haven't upgraded out-of-warranty parts into it.

If you're in the habit of getting Windows into weird states, by all means get a support contract from Microsoft, whether via a retail copy of Windows or by buying from the Microsoft retail outlet. OTOH, a local expert would probably be better (if pricier) -- if you were local, I could recommend a truly stellar local small business consulting firm (my employer basically 2 decades ago and still owned by the same guy) but it's expensive not to just learn to maintain your own machine properly.
Old Sep 11, 2015, 5:59 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all the advice. I'm actually still looking. No rush but would like it around October.

For registry errors, just simple install and uninstalls can make your computer go nuts. I do my best to take care of my computer but there are situations no matter how much I take care of it, it will just act up on its own like freezing as an example.
Old Sep 11, 2015, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for all the advice. I'm actually still looking. No rush but would like it around October.
The new Skylake systems may or may not be available in any quantity by then, but I'd definitely keep an eye

For registry errors, just simple install and uninstalls can make your computer go nuts.
Really not sure what software you're thinking of that doing an install/uninstall will make a system go nuts.

I'm relatively careful what I download/install (and other than video games -- almost always managed by Steam these days -- don't install much new stuff) but haven't had significant problems that since Vista came out and added a version of System Restore that actually worked. Also important to run decent malware/antivirus protection -- these days, Microsoft's qualifies although you'll find religious arguments about which other ones are better (I'd still recommend AVG as my second choice.)

I do my best to take care of my computer but there are situations no matter how much I take care of it, it will just act up on its own like freezing as an example.
With quality machines and either Microsoft-provided or quality part-manufacturer-provided drivers (e.g. Intel/Nvidia, NOT Dell/Lenovo), those should be quite rare unless you're running much, much more interesting software than most people.

I mean, I've recently hit issues with bad Chrome/Firefox betas and Windows 10 fast-ring betas, and I've hit an issue with VMWare workstation 11 and Windows 10 being incompatible, but most people do not need VMWare workstation, and most people are smart enough not to run prerelease software.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.