Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

US based T-Mobile service, LG G3 phone in Cape Town?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2015, 2:49 pm
Original Poster

I have US based T-Mobil service on my LG G3 android smart phones. We have a data plan for 4G service with this phone. The phone is NOT unlocked (but I could possibly get the code.)

I would like to be able to use data on the phone while in Cape Town, particularly for looking up addresses on the internet and GPS navigation.

I do not care about making telephone calls from this phone.

Obviously, if I find wifi, I can use the phone to get on the internet. But that won't help me in the car, which is my primary objective. What is the easiest and cheapest way of getting some limited, but reasonably fast, data coverage on the road in Cape Town?

Please keep it simple - I'm not a phone geek.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 3:09 pm

If you are on the latest Simple Choice postpaid plan, you get free 2G data/text roaming in South Africa

http://www.t-mobile.com/optional-services/roaming.html

Input the country and your device for the site above. Using the LG G3 in Cape town should be fine. you need to be on the latest simple choice postpaid plan... prepaid/older plans do not quality

http://www.reddit.com/r/tmobile/comm...artner/csf3c5i

either way, download and install Nokia Here (windows, android, iOS). Free offline navigation+maps available. You only get slow 2G, and zero signal in some places... don't rely 100% on data, use offline maps as a backup

Last edited by paperwastage; Jul 31, 2015 at 3:18 pm
Old Aug 1, 2015, 7:45 am

Has anyone considered using the data compression tool Onavo with TMobile's 2g roaming network to increase throughput?
Old Aug 14, 2015, 12:53 pm
Original Poster

I'm back with a continued question.

Turns out that the car we will be using has a GPS. That eliminates my need for maps and GPS on the phone (YEAH!).

However, I'd still like to get the internet with a data plan. I've NEVER been able to look up anything on the internet using 2G service in the US. Is 2G actually functional in South Africa?

Or what other alternatives do I have that are inexpensive?
Old Aug 14, 2015, 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by jkgourmet
I'm back with a continued question.

Turns out that the car we will be using has a GPS. That eliminates my need for maps and GPS on the phone (YEAH!).

However, I'd still like to get the internet with a data plan. I've NEVER been able to look up anything on the internet using 2G service in the US. Is 2G actually functional in South Africa?

Or what other alternatives do I have that are inexpensive?
either you are granted access to the 2G network (and 2G speeds) on the roaming carrier, or you are granted access to the 2G/3G/LTE network (and artifically throttled to 2G 128kbps speeds)

for the second case, it's quite usable

prepaid/MVNO in south africa

http://prepaid-data-sim-card.wikia.c...i/South_Africa

Last edited by paperwastage; Aug 14, 2015 at 1:23 pm
Old Aug 16, 2015, 8:25 pm

Programs: SA Air, Air Canada, KLM, BA,Lufthansa, United, AA, Hawaiian, Air New Zealnd, Qantas, Virgin Atlantic
I have TMobile Simple Choice which gives unlimited data, text and 20 cents per minute wifi calling, including in South Africa.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 3:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jeannietx
I have TMobile Simple Choice which gives unlimited data, text and 20 cents per minute wifi calling, including in South Africa.
But have you ever actually used the phone in SA to get on the internet?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.