Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OSX El Capitan

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2015, 3:12 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by antichef
There are reports all over about Office 2016 (and 2011) crashing with El C, advice generally being that if you rely on your system for business to hold off until the bugs are resolved.

http://www.computerworld.com/article...l-capitan.html

As the early posts in this thread indicated it was a problem with the beta too, but obviously has not been fixed and not it is hitting millions it is a bigger problem.

I am holding off for a while.
I wish I'd held off...

My latest issue is that DropBox won't reconnect after my iMac wakes from sleep.

Most of the Office issues occur after sleeping, so I it sounds like Apple have changed something around this area that is affecting software.
Old Oct 3, 2015, 7:01 am

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
Just put your marinated earplugs in and listen to some relaxing music until an update is issued - probably about two weeks
Old Oct 3, 2015, 10:12 am

Just put your marinated earplugs in and listen to some relaxing music until an update is issued - probably about two weeks
Old Oct 3, 2015, 10:43 am
Ambassador: LATAM

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
I wish I'd held off...

My latest issue is that DropBox won't reconnect after my iMac wakes from sleep.

Most of the Office issues occur after sleeping, so I it sounds like Apple have changed something around this area that is affecting software.
This is interesting. I have had problems with my MBA "sleeping" for about a year and I was hoping for a fix in the new release. Basically it would use more battery whilst sleeping than whilst awake and required two logins with two different backgrounds when waking it up. That seems fixed for me.

At the same time easily my "crashiest" software over the last 4 years has been MS Excel (Office 2011) Since updating to El Capitan I have not had a single crash.

I have not had any issues with Dropbox since updating
Old Oct 4, 2015, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
After having too many issues with installing iOS upgrades on my iPhones when they are first released over the years I decided to hold off switching to El Capitan from Yosemite on my brand new iMac until they got most of the bugs resolved. I really don't have to be the first kid on the block with the new OS if the old one is working perfectly fine. @:-)
Old Oct 13, 2015, 11:12 pm

I you find the super-thin and less contrasty fonts and display are harder to read, try the "increase contrast" button in settings/accessibility/display

Also applies to Yosemite. In fact it was bugging me for a while, so I found this old article and tried it and it does seem to help quite a bit.

http://osxdaily.com/2014/10/22/incre...os-x-yosemite/

-David

Last edited by LIH Prem; Oct 13, 2015 at 11:55 pm
Old Oct 14, 2015, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There are reports all over about Office 2016 (and 2011) crashing with El C, advice generally being that if you rely on your system for business to hold off until the bugs are resolved.

http://www.computerworld.com/article...l-capitan.html

As the early posts in this thread indicated it was a problem with the beta too, but obviously has not been fixed and not it is hitting millions it is a bigger problem.

I am holding off for a while.
MS has released a major update for Office for Mac 2011 to correct the issues with El Capitan but 2016 is still having major problems.

However I am still holding off installing El Capitan based on all of the complaints I am reading on the Apple Forums! @:-)
Old Oct 14, 2015, 7:58 am

Originally Posted by RSSrsvp
MS has released a major update for Office for Mac 2011 to correct the issues with El Capitan but 2016 is still having major problems.

However I am still holding off installing El Capitan based on all of the complaints I am reading on the Apple Forums! @:-)
There was also a big Office 2016 release yesterday. It now seems worse...

But hey, it installed some new Japanese fonts!
Old Oct 14, 2015, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm still on Mavericks for this reason. I will migrate to El Capitan in a couple of months. Always best to let the leading-edge guys have the grief. Even though they do a lot of beta testing, there are still millions of little bugs and issues.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by richard
I'm still on Mavericks for this reason. I will migrate to El Capitan in a couple of months. Always best to let the leading-edge guys have the grief. Even though they do a lot of beta testing, there are still millions of little bugs and issues.
Actually this article on Zdnet was the final nail in the coffin on my plans to possibly upgrade and it convinced me to hold off.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/os-x-10...and-more-bugs/
Old Oct 14, 2015, 3:02 pm

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
I'm running the 10.11.1 beta and it works great. Although I didn't have any issues with 10.11 either.

Note: I don't use outlook or any M$ stuff so I wouldn't have those issues.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 4:59 pm
Ambassador: LATAM

Programs: BAEC Silver
Actually this article on Zdnet was the final nail in the coffin on my plans to possibly upgrade and it convinced me to hold off.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/os-x-10...and-more-bugs/
That article doesn't go into many specifics does it? And judging by my experience with Mavericks and Yosemite, if you are waiting for Apple to fix bugs then you will be waiting for a long time. In my case, until the new OS X came out.

I see Apple has fixed a couple of fundamental problems with Yosemite that have been thoroughly annoying and so basic, people across the internet have been tearing their hair out metaphorically.

Incorrectly threaded email conversations. My experience with El Capitan suggests this is fixed at last after being broken all the way back to the launch of Yosemite. One full cycle was a huge amount of time to wait for something as obvious as this to be fixed. Email altogether seems more solid, does't refuse to fetch mail, including iCloud mail as Yosemite was often doing. I cannot see what the new features of Mail are, like multiple compose in tabs, I have not seen how that works yet.

Sleeping. My Macbook Air had insomnia in that when it was asleep it was never really asleep, used to use battery at the same rate (or faster) as it did when it was awake, and waking it up was a pain too, including having to log in twice into two screens with slightly different appearances. This is now fixed

The only thing that iOS9 and El Capitan appear to have hashed up for me is Notes. Simple notes were supposed to work with upgraded notes when iOS9 was launched, but this caused a fork and Yosemite notes stopped synching apart from between pre-upgraded notes devices (and could not be seen on iCloud) upgrading my laptops to El Capitan meant that synch started again but another fork was created, some of my notes are in triplicate and cannot be deleted, annoying but not as annoying as the Yosemite problems that have been fixed.

Given what I had before, and what I have now, I am pretty delighted with the upgrade.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For the people using Office for Mac 2011, I just arrived home to find a new "critical update" 14.5.7 to download. Hopefully that will address the issues it is having with El Capitan.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.