Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Bluetooth headset (?) for the ear-pod and behind-the-ear style challenged?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2015, 2:49 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz
Original Poster

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite

I have defective ears. I simply cannot get the iPhone-style wired earpods

to stay in. I've also tried several bluetooth over-the-ear types, e.g.

These don't work for me very well either. Either the ear-doober (technical term) won't stay snug in the ear, or the whole thing too often attempts to come off.

Is there a good and inexpensive alternative? And over-the-head type with an ear-doober that stays put? What do folks recommend?
Old Jun 25, 2015, 10:46 am

Programs: DL DM Hub Captive, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, PC Plat, and other stuff.
They're not cheap, but I continue to be amazed by my bluetooth Powerbeats 2. They're very comfortable, since they are designed NOT to be jammed tightly into your ear canal - rather, the soft rubber ear buds are meant to sort of rest gently just within the ear canal opening. They also have a behind-the-ear hook to help keep them in place. The most comfortable and most secure headphones I've used - you can totally do a full exercise workout with them, and they won't budge loose. And man - I love their sound.
Old Jun 25, 2015, 12:04 pm

Amazon Amazon

Bought earlier this year, use if 3-4X a week when I'm at gym and also in-flight with my iPad. Also used a few times for skype calls.

Good for about 3 hrs then requires recharge
Old Jun 25, 2015, 12:09 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz
Original Poster

I'm guessing that wouldn't be safe for driving, which is where I am primarily wanting to use.
Old Jun 25, 2015, 12:15 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
What about something like these LG behind the neck dillyos (technical term)?

Amazon Amazon
Amazon Amazon
Old Jun 25, 2015, 12:30 pm
Original Poster

Look cool, but still thinking that for phone calls while driving (the almost only use I'd have for a headset solution)it's not good to cover both ears....
Old Jun 25, 2015, 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by cblaisd
Look cool, but still thinking that for phone calls while driving (the almost only use I'd have for a headset solution)it's not good to cover both ears....
My buddy uses just one of the ear buds when driving.
Old Jun 26, 2015, 7:02 am

I'm guessing that wouldn't be safe for driving, which is where I am primarily wanting to use.
For driving I use the cheapo Monoprice earbuds with mic for less than $10 per pair. Keep a couple in each car.
Old Jun 26, 2015, 7:57 am
Original Poster

Wel, except per my opening post, earbuds don't work for me. I have defective ears

Looking at this one now:
Amazon Amazon

Anyone with an alternative?
Old Jun 26, 2015, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gobluetwo
What about something like these LG behind the neck dillyos (technical term)?
Wel, except per my opening post, earbuds don't work for me. I have defective ears

Looking at this one now: http://www.amazon.com/Emerson-Over-B.../dp/B002U1N84C

I have owned two of the LG neck-mounted units. They're great, and there's no reason you can't use just one of the earbuds while driving. But it would really be better, for car use, to buy a separate Bluetooth speaker to mount on your visor.
Old Jun 26, 2015, 10:43 am

I figured that since these were the more "standard" type, unlike the apples or the weirdly shaped things they often put on most bluetooth headsets, this would be an alternative.

I understand about the ears, though. My wife has particularly tiny earholes and has a very difficult time finding earbuds that actually go IN her ears.

I've actually used something similar in the past (wired) to the item you posted and loved the fact that it actually had a boom mic. It really does sound better on the other end compared to mic'ed earbuds or regular bluetooth headsets. I would say it looks a bit dorky when walking around, but definitely much better for driving or in the (home) office. Then again, regular bluetooth headsets look dorky, too (imo).
Old Jun 26, 2015, 11:39 am

Programs: DL DM Hub Captive, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, PC Plat, and other stuff.
If you're concerned about using headphones while driving, you can use
<b>these</b> these
. The bone conduction works surprisingly well, but leaves your ears free to hear surrounding noises. I like to take them with me when I travel, when I often have to dine out alone, so I can more easily confer with the waiter without the hassle of taking tangled up earbuds in and out of my ear.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 1:19 pm

I also have defective ears, and have fought for years with BT earbuds.
Here's another vote for the LG Tone 800s
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-tone-...&skuId=4456004

Don't get the Ultra version, lots of problems.
Because the earbud is not holding the weight of the cord all the way to the phone, they stay in. Noise rejection works very well. I use it the little convertible that doesn't have BT. The neckpiece vibrates when you have a call, so even if the phone's not on you, you know there's a call coming in.
That also means you can keep the earbuds out of your ear and pop one in when there's a call.

I lost the first one about three weeks after I got it, went straight to BB and bought another one before the end of the day.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 11:27 am

I have a similar problem, and bought a Blue Parrot headset (
Amazon Amazon
). Very comfortable, excellent sound quality, and still going strong after 4 years!
Old Jul 20, 2015, 2:14 pm

Add another vote for the Blue Parrot headset. I got the recommendation from a couple of long-haul truckers who use them constantly. The one guy said he even was able to use it with the window down. Ugly as all get out, but it truly is the best performing. I have the 250XT+:
Amazon Amazon

I have mine paired with my mobile phone & my office's desktop phone. Really nice to be able to walk around the office, hands-free.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.