Reload this Page >

Unexpected Travel Tech: Apple Pay

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Unexpected Travel Tech: Apple Pay

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2015, 8:37 pm

But it must be true .. the internet said it was.

Even if you just log out of icloud your cards all disappear. I know, I did it once. Don't do it unless you have a real good reason to do it.

-David
Old Jun 23, 2015, 10:19 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite/Lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum Medallion, Hertz #1 Gold
Changing subjects back to the original... I went to Canada last week for the Mets/Blue Jays games(looks like I've seen the downfall of this years Mets, but thats another story). Almost everywhere I went, I was able to use Apple Pay. I just asked the vendor if they supported "Tap to Pay." At the Rogers Centre it got annoying, because using the Apple Watch became a conversation starter.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 1:46 am

Programs: QF WP (OWE) / LTG (LT OWS) | Hyatt Globalist
More or less the reason Australian Banks aren't eager to give apple a cut of their transactions to roll out compatibility with Apple Pay. Paypass/Paywave (the Visa equivalent) have been commonplace in Australia for 2-3 years now, with chip and pin becoming mandatory either last year or the year before.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Does Apple Pay work if you do not have an active cellular data connection, such as overseas? There are many times when I'm at an overseas location without free WiFi and I do not have data roaming turned on.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 4:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Gold; LEGO VIP, Amex Platinum, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by ESpen36
Does Apple Pay work if you do not have an active cellular data connection, such as overseas? There are many times when I'm at an overseas location without free WiFi and I do not have data roaming turned on.
I had really, really slow cellular data with T-Mobile in Australia, but the transactions went through really fast.

The phone needs to connect to the net to authorize cards when you add them to PassBook, but after that, the networking is all done by the vendor terminal.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 4:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Gold; LEGO VIP, Amex Platinum, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by SQ421
More or less the reason Australian Banks aren't eager to give apple a cut of their transactions to roll out compatibility with Apple Pay. Paypass/Paywave (the Visa equivalent) have been commonplace in Australia for 2-3 years now, with chip and pin becoming mandatory either last year or the year before.
For US credit card holders, our cards are only Chip and Signature - which works in Australia, but unusual for the vendors - Pens need to be found.

Because PayPass has been so prevalent over 2-3 years, the infrastructure to make ApplePay ubiquitous is already there, and easier than Chip and Sig cards.
Old Jun 25, 2015, 3:03 am

Programs: QF WP (OWE) / LTG (LT OWS) | Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by CRAZ8
Because PayPass has been so prevalent over 2-3 years, the infrastructure to make ApplePay ubiquitous is already there, and easier than Chip and Sig cards.
Yeah. But it involves the banks giving up a share of the transaction fee to apple which they are loathe to do.
Old Jun 25, 2015, 6:31 am

Originally Posted by SQ421
Yeah. But it involves the banks giving up a share of the transaction fee to apple which they are loathe to do.

Given the reduced fraud rate with Apple Pay, the bank is probably making money because of the reduced fraud risk.
Old Jun 26, 2015, 2:33 am

Programs: AA Plat, Nexus
Originally Posted by ESpen36
No connection necessary. I ran a transaction from my watch today after leaving the phone at home.
Old Jun 26, 2015, 5:21 am

Programs: Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by Dubai Stu
Given the reduced fraud rate with Apple Pay, the bank is probably making money because of the reduced fraud risk.
Most Australian banks already have mobile payment apps. I've been using the Commbank PayPass app on my android phone for over a year and it works great. Instead of using my fingerprint to authenticate the transaction, I simply have to type my PIN code in the app.

I guess this is the main reason banks aren't keen on Apple Pay, it competes directly with them.
Old Jun 27, 2015, 10:09 am

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
I just don't understand what Apple Pay brings to the party over contactless.
  • Vast improvement in security. Anyone can steal a co tactless card and use it (at least in U.S. where we're 10 years behind in CC tech)
  • No need to carry the card (or perhaps even a wallet).
Old Jun 28, 2015, 9:20 am

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
I just don't understand what Apple Pay brings to the party over contactless.
Depending on the merchant, no signature required above the usual contactless limit.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202527
Old Jun 28, 2015, 9:24 am

Originally Posted by KRSW
I'd caution people with Apple Pay. Right now on the black market stolen iTunes accounts are more expensive than a stolen Amex Plat. One of the "sellers" told me it's because they'll "restore" the account onto a stolen iPhone and apparently Apple Pay auto-populates with the credit cards on file.

Not sure about the data auto-populating, but I highly recommend setting your Apple ID to require Two-Step Verification for things like adding a new device. I suggest that any security aware person enable two-step verification wherever it is offered (Google, Apple, Dropbox, etc). Then your stolen apple ID and password will not be useful (unless they stole your Apple device too, and you didn't set a password on the Apple device).
Old Jun 30, 2015, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by mia
This is inaccurate. Contactless cards are readily available from USA-issuers. See this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...artphones.html

What is true is that many (most?) USA-issued cards will not work with contactless systems in countries where Chip & PIN is the norm. However, there are some, including HSBC.
It may be available from a few issuers, but that doesn't mean contactless is commonly available. In fact, some banks that used to have it have gotten rid of it entirely (e.g. Chase). Meanwhile, almost every American has a card that is supported by Android/Apple Pay.

Originally Posted by CRAZ8
Most of these chains are not places I visit a lot. The places I do visit have very poor ApplePay penetration, and I almost always forget to use it even when available because of this lack of penetration.

In Australia, almost every hand-held terminal worked with my phone, and these were almost all small businesses, not chains.

The fact it was available everywhere made me try it every time.
It is getting better though. The key is to try it anyway if the terminal looks new even if there is no logo or Apple Pay text on the screen. At least some of the time it'll still work, or at the very least allow the phone to transmit the card info. Also, https://www.mastercard.us/en-us/cons...s-locator.html may be of help to find additional places near you that support it.

What I'd really like though is for gas station pumps to start supporting NFC.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.