Community
Wiki Posts
Search

10 inch tablet options?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2015, 10:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
I have never personally owned a Surface 3. However, based on my friends/family comments, is that it is sufficient for what you are asking it to do. I have had one friend return his though, he cited it wasn't fast enough, although i'm not sure what he used it for.

But yeah, web browsing, media consumption...surely it can run that. I would be really surprised if it couldn't.
Ideally I would probably want to get a surface pro 3, but this is supposed to be a secondary device that I use when I travel, so I don't want to break the bank.

I would prefer a tablet, rather than a laptop, hence looking at the Surface 3, Xperia z4, Dell Vostro, etc. Price wise, I would have thought the Android tablets would have been cheaper, but ironically the Surface is looking the most competitively priced.
Old Jun 27, 2015, 10:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by theworld
Ideally I would probably want to get a surface pro 3, but this is supposed to be a secondary device that I use when I travel, so I don't want to break the bank.

I would prefer a tablet, rather than a laptop, hence looking at the Surface 3, Xperia z4, Dell Vostro, etc. Price wise, I would have thought the Android tablets would have been cheaper, but ironically the Surface is looking the most competitively priced.
The Surface Pro 3 (which I also have) is also quite a bit bigger.

I'm trying to get rid of my daily laptop (which I need which has 16GB of RAM, 2 SSD's etc) since I run many VM's, but I'm trying to get rid of my T430S and replace it with a SP3 and have my demo labs in Azure but that'll take a while.

The SP3 is meant more as a laplet anyways, which is my guess as to why it's priced where it is (albeit it is a pretty damn powerful machine too, which also affects pricing).

The Surface 3 is more, to me, a device you're looking for. A secondary device...etc. I haven't taken the time to look extensively as to the feedback (The SP3 I know has VERY positive reviews on places like Best Buy Canada), not too sure about Surface 3.

If I were personally looking for a consumption type device, I'd buy a Surface 3. If I'm looking for more of a productivity "do more" device, SP3. But since this thread is about 10" options where people are looking for a consumption device, I'd say go with a Surface 3. (plus, it has a pen too, although not sure what the other devices have when it comes to input methods)
Old Jun 30, 2015, 1:06 pm

Stay far away from the Dell Venue. My client rolled out thousands of them, with nothing but problems. They are extremely heavy for their size, the screen is so small as to be unusable, lots of hardware, firmware, and software bugs. Docking station issues (fragile connectors, video ports not working, etc).
The shop I support is biting the bullet to buy replacement laptops (actual laptops) from local budget.

The Surface is very well developed, the bugs have been squashed from it. Very light, good screen size.
I bought a SP3, and don't go anywhere without it. It's my primary device.

Main differences between SP3 and Surface 3:
Slower processor (but that doesn't really matter with an SSD and typical uses.
No ability to use a docking station (doesn't matter as a second device, and a USB->VGA adapter will handle the occasional need).
Surface 3 charges off Micro-USB (VERY good thing).
Surface 3 has LTE connectivity (VERY VERY good thing)

Surface 3 has a 3:2 screen instead of 16:9 (also a VERY good thing, much more usable than Venue or others).

If I had not already jumped to a Surface Pro 3 for my only device, I would be all over the Surface 3 as a travel device. Still thinking about getting one as a travel device, even with a Surface Pro 3.

Last edited by pilotalan; Jun 30, 2015 at 1:12 pm
Old Jul 1, 2015, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm an absolute fan of my Samsung Note 10.1, mostly because of its integrated stylus. Makes note-taking a breeze. Great screen, too.

There are plenty of good Bluetooth keyboards available out there, but I really don't find the need for one.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 6:32 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for further thoughts. Wife had a note 10 from work for a few weeks, do did have a play around with it. Really good tablet, but keyboard is quite important to me, if I intend to use it for work while away.

I have played around with the Xperia z4 tablet and have checked out the reviews. Seems to be a very highly rated tablet, and is super light, however its downfall is its keyboard.

I think I will probably get the Surface 3. Only problem at the moment is the 4GB ram / 128GB storage model is out of stock in HK at the moment, so will probably wait until after the summer to get one now.
Old Jul 9, 2015, 7:18 pm
Original Poster

Change of plan, will probably get the Lenovo MIIX 3 when I'm in the UK in a few weeks. GBP140 or so (and then will get a bit back from VAT). Not as powerful and light as the Surface 3 but so much more cheaper.
Old Jul 9, 2015, 8:18 pm

I went with a cheap Windows convertible and added Bluestack's Android virtualization replacing their GUI with the Google Now as my launcher. I can launch Android apps from Windows and it definitely helps. The Android apps are a little blurry in full screen mode on my device (but not my wife's surface). Amiduos is another virtualization app.

Windows tablet apps are a little lacking, but the tablet OSes aren't great for production. May of the cheap Chinese tablets are dual boot (Android/Windows) but their quality is often hit and miss. A good Android virtualization on a Windows laplet seems to be the best compromise unless Apple takes does an iPad Pro with real OS/X and iOS.
Old Jul 10, 2015, 5:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Used Surface 3's were on Cowboom for $450 after coupon. I imagine they are all long gone now.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 11:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by theworld
Change of plan, will probably get the Lenovo MIIX 3 when I'm in the UK in a few weeks. GBP140 or so (and then will get a bit back from VAT). Not as powerful and light as the Surface 3 but so much more cheaper.
So ended up buying the MIIX 3 when in the UK. Price was GBP 150, had a 30GBP John Lewis voucher. Sold the office 365 sub on ebay for GBP 28 and will get about GBP 15 back from VAT. So basically ended up spending easily under GBP 100. OK this tablet / computer isn't going to win any spec prizes, but for the price it is a total steal.

I've upgraded it to Win 10 and generally is running smooth. Will be the perfect travel computer and will be able to access work as and when I need.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 8:00 am

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
My buddy and I have compared the MIIX 3 and T100TAM and the only real tangible differences all come down to personal preference, both in terms of material and form factor... I like the feel of the Lenovo plastic surprisingly better than the T100TAM metal-back (but prefer both to the cheap slick plastic of a lot of other low-end devices) but prefer the more traditional clam-shell form factor of the T100TAM. The Lenovo with a clamshell keyboard dock would be almost ideal for me, almost like the old Lenovo Lynx which was a great size and form factor, but too under-powered with the older dual-core Atom chip and 1gb or RAM.
Old Aug 8, 2015, 5:24 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
Does anyone have the Sony Z4? Is it pretty much the best choice right now in terms of a great screen, quick and lag-free navigation, and something that is as much future-proof as it gets right now (with the great processor and all)?
Old Aug 8, 2015, 7:27 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
Sony probably makes the best Android tablets, at the moment, but prices are comparable to iPad, for the top end models.
Old Aug 9, 2015, 12:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aster
Does anyone have the Sony Z4? Is it pretty much the best choice right now in terms of a great screen, quick and lag-free navigation, and something that is as much future-proof as it gets right now (with the great processor and all)?
I have played around with the Z4 and it is probably the best tablet out there design and feel wise. I is super thin and light.

The Sony UI is also pretty good (I have a Sony mobile phone yet).

The hardware is very much high end.

So overall it is probably the best Android tablet in the market at the moment.

BUT it is similar price to the likes of an iPad Air 2 or a Surface. And therein lies the problem. The Android UI for tablets is just OK. iOS and Windows have much better UIs. With the Surface you get full Windows, which sure does have its benefits.

In all cases if you want to use your tablet as a productivity tool, you need to buy a keyboard, which in the case of the Xperia and the Surface, you really need to be the stock keyboard, and these are not cheap at all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.