Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Google Fi: Anyone care to post their experience?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 3, 2017, 5:37 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
Which countries are supported?

https://support.google.com/fi/answer...intl_countries

Note that in some locations Hangouts (and Gmail) are not available (e.g., China, Russia, Thailand, South Korea, Mexico, Argentina, and more: see link below for full list of excluded countries), so you will need a VPN to access them (or to make VOIP calls via Hangouts Dialer)

https://support.google.com/hangouts/answer/3205646

Exceptions:

Listed, but no/spotty service:
  • Ukraine (Aug 2018) - no service, all providers listed as "forbidden". Post #660
  • Alaska (Jul 2018) -- had voice service, but inconsistent/spotty data (try forcing Sprint)
  • Peru (Sep 2016) post 341, 360
  • Grand Cayman Island (Jan 2018) post 547

Not listed, *did* have service
  • Belize (Jan 2018) post 547 Belize now appears on the "supported" international list
If you are having trouble connecting, level 1 Fi reps recommend you try the following steps before they will escalate. Try each step in the order listed below to see if it fixes your issue - if not, move on to next step.

1- Reboot phone
2- Toggle "airplane mode" on/off. Wait five seconds after toggling off (it resets phone modem).
3- Try manually connecting to each available network (rather than using the auto select feature).
4- Toggle down from 4g to 3g (removing the recommended 4g option) and then try manually connecting to each available network.
5- Toggle down from 3g to 2g and then try manually connecting to each available network.
Print Wikipost

Google Fi: Anyone care to post their experience?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2016, 5:08 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by thesun
Still better than the WiFi in the ridiculously crowded Sumaq lounge where I could get a strong WiFi signal but basically couldn't load any page.
OT, but I had no problems with the Sumaq wifi in the small "outdoor" area. IIRC there was Sumaq and Sumaq-1 or something like that, and I used the latter figuring most people would go for the first one (It was ridiculously crowded, yes, it was like a forest of extended rollaboard handles )
Old Oct 27, 2016, 12:38 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Just signed up for Project Fi today. All worked quite well (port took less than 5 minutes) and calls/texts are coming in straight away.

Only poor issue is Google considers the newly ported number as a Google Voice # and since they only allow one Google Voice # per account/phone I can no longer use the Google Voice app to check messages on my older/other Google Voice #. I must now use the web to do so. Further, and even worse for me, I cannot forward the old Google Voice # to my new Pixel Project Fi phone (which I was able to do with my old Nexus 5 and T-Mo). Still - aside from this domestically working fine in the first few hours.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 3:52 am

Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
...Only poor issue is Google considers the newly ported number as a Google Voice # and since they only allow one Google Voice # per account/phone I can no longer use the Google Voice app to check messages on my older/other Google Voice #. ...
It's only one google voice number per account, but you can use more than one number per phone so long as you sign into each with the relevant account. https://productforums.google.com/for...fi/f7FN9BpfCk0
Old Oct 27, 2016, 6:47 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by richarddd
It's only one google voice number per account, but you can use more than one number per phone so long as you sign into each with the relevant account. https://productforums.google.com/for...fi/f7FN9BpfCk0
Doesn't work on my new Pixel phone. Have escalated to tech support - we will have to see if they can help.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 7:12 am

Originally Posted by der_saeufer
Not for that price there isn't any reason to stay with T-Mo.

Fi allegedly has the same priority as postpaid on all three of its carriers. It definitely has better coverage than T-Mobile alone when you get out of town. The only issue I had is that it would occasionally sit on a crappy Sprint signal when there was perfectly good, fast T-Mobile LTE available. Using an app like Signal Spy, you can kick it over to whichever network manually when necessary.
So I downloaded Signal Spy and it shows me connected to Tmobile and Wifi. But it doesn't show the corresponding Sprint signal strength - so how does one know when to force a switch? Do you only force when you have poor connectivity? (without knowing whether the other also has poor connectivity)? Wouldn't it be better if the apps showed both signal strengths so we could make an informed decision? Or is that not technically viable?
Old Oct 27, 2016, 7:59 am

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
So I downloaded Signal Spy and it shows me connected to Tmobile and Wifi. But it doesn't show the corresponding Sprint signal strength - so how does one know when to force a switch? Do you only force when you have poor connectivity? (without knowing whether the other also has poor connectivity)? Wouldn't it be better if the apps showed both signal strengths so we could make an informed decision? Or is that not technically viable?
You won't see the signal strength, you only can switch between the carriers. In general I only do it if I'm connected to a carrier like Sprint and am experiencing poor data speeds. In my area Sprint has good "reception" but pathetic data throughput...

Fi will typically hang onto a carrier as long as their is good signal... the quality of the data connection seems irrelevant to that. In general I don't even need to use Signal Spy because FI "learns" over time and seems to improve as you go on, making switching irrelevant.
Old Nov 1, 2016, 8:03 pm

I'm going to be oversea for about 3 weeks. I was thinking of getting Fi for just one month since I'm on a family plan with AT&T.

From Google site, looks like Fi will use my Google Voice number, what will happen to that number when I cancel Fi?
Old Nov 2, 2016, 6:49 am

Originally Posted by Nate99
From Google site, looks like Fi will use my Google Voice number, what will happen to that number when I cancel Fi?
Whatever you want to happen with it. You can port it back to Google Voice, you can port it to another carrier, or you can release it back to the pool.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 6:56 am

So I've had Fi now for a week.

Experience with Fi has been decent but not great. When connected to T-mobile it is generally fast - but when it switches to Sprint it has been quite slow data speeds for me. There are also occasions when it doesn't seem to connect to either network which was truly annoying.

As for the Pixel phone it is not much of an improvement over my old Nexus 5. Speeds actually feel slower. I do love the fingerprint logon (no more swiping every time I want access to my phone). Just a little touch of the finger which is perfectly mounted on the backside (where my finger already is). The camera is also much better than my older phone. Still - those seem to be the only two noticeable improvements.

The real test will be when I'm abroad which is why I got the phone. If I got Fi and my Pixel solely for the States, I'd be highly disappointed. However if it works well abroad (as other posters describe), I'll be happy.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 8:37 am

So I've had Fi now for a week.

Experience with Fi has been decent but not great. When connected to T-mobile it is generally fast - but when it switches to Sprint it has been quite slow data speeds for me. There are also occasions when it doesn't seem to connect to either network which was truly annoying.

As for the Pixel phone it is not much of an improvement over my old Nexus 5. Speeds actually feel slower. I do love the fingerprint logon (no more swiping every time I want access to my phone). Just a little touch of the finger which is perfectly mounted on the backside (where my finger already is). The camera is also much better than my older phone. Still - those seem to be the only two noticeable improvements.

The real test will be when I'm abroad which is why I got the phone. If I got Fi and my Pixel solely for the States, I'd be highly disappointed. However if it works well abroad (as other posters describe), I'll be happy.
Your experience with the quality of Sprint is like mine. Sprint sucks in this area... not really a Fi issue though. I came from T-mobile so I'd be fine with just sticking to t-mo domestically. This is also where Signalspy comes in. Signalspy will let you Switch the carriers on demand. So if you are locked onto sprint, just switch to T-Mo or USC. Over time your FI APP will learn and will get on the correct network on its own.

For international, make sure that you have turned on the International settings in your FI account... and more importantly on your pixel's cellular settings turn on data roaming!
Old Nov 2, 2016, 9:38 am

Originally Posted by LordHamster
Your experience with the quality of Sprint is like mine. Sprint sucks in this area... not really a Fi issue though. I came from T-mobile so I'd be fine with just sticking to t-mo domestically. This is also where Signalspy comes in. Signalspy will let you Switch the carriers on demand. So if you are locked onto sprint, just switch to T-Mo or USC. Over time your FI APP will learn and will get on the correct network on its own.

For international, make sure that you have turned on the International settings in your FI account... and more importantly on your pixel's cellular settings turn on data roaming!
I had signalspy downloaded but (i)I feared it was draining my battery and (ii) I couldn't easily switch networks without some sort of convoluted process. So I uninstalled it.

Re International - I understand to turn on data roaming when traveling. What do you mean about turning on International Settings in Fi? Where are they? Why are they not always and automatically on?
Old Nov 2, 2016, 12:08 pm

I had signalspy downloaded but (i)I feared it was draining my battery and (ii) I couldn't easily switch networks without some sort of convoluted process. So I uninstalled it.

Re International - I understand to turn on data roaming when traveling. What do you mean about turning on International Settings in Fi? Where are they? Why are they not always and automatically on?
I have Signal Spy installed, but I have it set to not autostart and I kill the application if I don't need it. If I do need it, I fire it up... it basically puts a dialer code into your clipboard which you can paste into the dialer to manually switch networks (if needed). Or you can buy the pro version where it can do network switching for you at the press of a button. Handy but certainly not needed.

As for the international settings, go to fi.google.com -> Manage Plan. You should see a section for International settings. You want to toggle on "Service Outside the US" and "Call to non-US numbers". They should be on by default, but it is worth checking before you travel.
Old Nov 20, 2016, 6:21 am

Thumbs Up for Fi in Argentina!

Greetings from Buenos Aires. My ATT global unlimited only pulls HSPA but my tablet on Project Fi is pulling LTE.

Fi rocks but admittedly my ATT SIM has been pretty peppy. A VOIP call over HSPA on ATT was perfect.

Last edited by Dubai Stu; Nov 20, 2016 at 12:14 pm
Old Nov 27, 2016, 2:10 am

Quick question about wifi calls... I'm currently traveling outside the USA. I'm in a hotel and both wifi and LTE are connected. If I make a call, will the Pixel phone automatically choose VOIP/Wifi calling so the call is free? Or do I need to do something in order to have it do that?
Old Nov 27, 2016, 8:33 am

Programs: AA EXP 6+ MM, AC, DL (MM) & LT SC; All Airlines 10+MM, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott LT Plat
Quick question about wifi calls... I'm currently traveling outside the USA. I'm in a hotel and both wifi and LTE are connected. If I make a call, will the Pixel phone automatically choose VOIP/Wifi calling so the call is free? Or do I need to do something in order to have it do that?
I was being charged $0.20 p/min while roaming and connected to Wi-Fi simultaneously and so I had to put my Nexus 6P in airplane mode and then turn on Wi-Fi to make the Wi-Fi calls as advised by Project Fi support. My roaming calls back to the US were then connected via Wi-Fi and free with roaming turned off.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.