Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Google Fi: Anyone care to post their experience?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 3, 2017, 5:37 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
Which countries are supported?

https://support.google.com/fi/answer...intl_countries

Note that in some locations Hangouts (and Gmail) are not available (e.g., China, Russia, Thailand, South Korea, Mexico, Argentina, and more: see link below for full list of excluded countries), so you will need a VPN to access them (or to make VOIP calls via Hangouts Dialer)

https://support.google.com/hangouts/answer/3205646

Exceptions:

Listed, but no/spotty service:
  • Ukraine (Aug 2018) - no service, all providers listed as "forbidden". Post #660
  • Alaska (Jul 2018) -- had voice service, but inconsistent/spotty data (try forcing Sprint)
  • Peru (Sep 2016) post 341, 360
  • Grand Cayman Island (Jan 2018) post 547

Not listed, *did* have service
  • Belize (Jan 2018) post 547 Belize now appears on the "supported" international list
If you are having trouble connecting, level 1 Fi reps recommend you try the following steps before they will escalate. Try each step in the order listed below to see if it fixes your issue - if not, move on to next step.

1- Reboot phone
2- Toggle "airplane mode" on/off. Wait five seconds after toggling off (it resets phone modem).
3- Try manually connecting to each available network (rather than using the auto select feature).
4- Toggle down from 4g to 3g (removing the recommended 4g option) and then try manually connecting to each available network.
5- Toggle down from 3g to 2g and then try manually connecting to each available network.
Print Wikipost

Google Fi: Anyone care to post their experience?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2016, 11:56 am

Originally Posted by tmiw
T-Mobile allows full LTE roaming without paying extra in Mexico and Canada (and elsewhere if you pay extra). AFAIK Fi doesn't have either.
thats right, if it did have LTE would be a lot more competetive
Old Jan 19, 2016, 5:26 pm

The issue is the bandwith and throughput. 3g is being used to describe the speeds, but it could be easily delivered over LTE.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 10:09 pm

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
I get LTE when I roam with Fi... but I'm still capped at 256kbps, so I don't know if it really makes much of a difference.

Anyways I have unlimited AT&T roaming, so I don't really use my Fi much, but it works great everywhere and I don't get charged excessively.
Old Jan 26, 2016, 9:39 pm

The results I've seen for Fi in China and Hong Kong are seriously below the 256k cited.
Old Jan 28, 2016, 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by Dubai Stu
The results I've seen for Fi in China and Hong Kong are seriously below the 256k cited.
I figure I'll still bring a mifi hotspot and get a local sim when I go anywhere, but having at least a little FI data when I arrive will help me find a local sim and how to get there.
Old Jan 28, 2016, 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by devans999
I figure I'll still bring a mifi hotspot and get a local sim when I go anywhere, but having at least a little FI data when I arrive will help me find a local sim and how to get there.
I'm curious about using the app Speedify (or equivalent for a little channel bonding). Say you ordered an extra GoogleFi data SIM and put it in an unlocked Hotspot and bonded it with your iPhone or better yet bonded your Google Nexus, hotspot, and LTE Surface together. 512 up/down or 756 up/down could start getting tolerable.

Last edited by Dubai Stu; Jan 28, 2016 at 2:08 pm
Old Jan 29, 2016, 4:28 am
Suspended

Im having an issue with my Nexus and Fi..is anyone else having this problem:

When someone calls my phone, it rings their end, and goes to answer phone. Only time I know about this is when I get a voice mail. My phone is not on Do Not Disturb....happens when Im in plane mode and running wifi....this is a new thing...only started to happen last week. Had the phone since November and it worked fine.

The odd thing is that this does not happen with all calls...but most of them.

Anyone have any ideas?

^
Old Jan 29, 2016, 7:16 am

Originally Posted by SgtRyan
Im having an issue with my Nexus and Fi..is anyone else having this problem:

When someone calls my phone, it rings their end, and goes to answer phone. Only time I know about this is when I get a voice mail. My phone is not on Do Not Disturb....happens when Im in plane mode and running wifi....this is a new thing...only started to happen last week. Had the phone since November and it worked fine.

The odd thing is that this does not happen with all calls...but most of them.

Anyone have any ideas?

^
I have a Nexus 6 and Fi. Most of my voice calls go to my other phone but my buddy has expressed frustration that I'm avoiding him or that I leave my phone in airplane mode too much as he gets sent to voice mail since my Fi number is the one he uses. No one else has given me feedback about that but they may not be as anxious to contact me so a voice mail is enough for them.

2 of the situations I know that I was not in airplane mode but was using bluetooth. Another time I had bluetooth on but the phone was in my locker in the gym. I'm not saying that bluetooth is the culprit but that was the common occurrence in those 3 instances but my buddy implies that it happens more often. We tried to replicate it but to no avail.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 7:53 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Oreto
I have a Nexus 6 and Fi. Most of my voice calls go to my other phone but my buddy has expressed frustration that I'm avoiding him or that I leave my phone in airplane mode too much as he gets sent to voice mail since my Fi number is the one he uses. No one else has given me feedback about that but they may not be as anxious to contact me so a voice mail is enough for them.

2 of the situations I know that I was not in airplane mode but was using bluetooth. Another time I had bluetooth on but the phone was in my locker in the gym. I'm not saying that bluetooth is the culprit but that was the common occurrence in those 3 instances but my buddy implies that it happens more often. We tried to replicate it but to no avail.
Thanks for the reply. I didnt even think of the bluetooth as the issue. Looking back it started when I turned that on...however I just checked and its off. I'll monitor it for next few days and see what happens.

Cheers for the heaeds up ^
Old Feb 9, 2016, 2:28 pm

My first international data impression from Fi was not positive. Was in puerto vallarata, mexico, and data was essentially unusable. Phone showed 5 bars of signal and sometimes indicated a data connection was in use, but trying to even pull up the main google search page only worked about 1 out of 10 times. I would occasionally get emails that were automatically synced in the background, but a simple search or google maps use just timed out most of the time.

Didn't matter much as the resort had surprisingly awesome wifi (both speed and coverage were excellent), but had I needed it, I would have been very disappointed.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 5:44 pm

My first international data impression from Fi was not positive. Was in puerto vallarata, mexico, and data was essentially unusable. Phone showed 5 bars of signal and sometimes indicated a data connection was in use, but trying to even pull up the main google search page only worked about 1 out of 10 times. I would occasionally get emails that were automatically synced in the background, but a simple search or google maps use just timed out most of the time.

Didn't matter much as the resort had surprisingly awesome wifi (both speed and coverage were excellent), but had I needed it, I would have been very disappointed.
what carrier and was it a supported device?
Old Feb 10, 2016, 5:15 am

Originally Posted by patpatpatme
I am in Bermuda and it is working great. VOIP over 3g is working. The data is HSPA and serviceable. The funny thing is that Google thinks that I am in Jamaica.

PS: My Speedify idea worked.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by patpatpatme
Not sure what carrier it was hooking into, I didn't bother looking. The device was a nexus 6p, so basically the flagship phone for Fi.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 7:58 pm

Not sure what carrier it was hooking into, I didn't bother looking. The device was a nexus 6p, so basically the flagship phone for Fi.
Who really want to use Fi Spy or one of the equivalent programs to see what carriers you are hooking onto. Otherwise, the phone hides this from you with a custom alpha tag, eg "Fi Network"
Old Mar 7, 2016, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Project Fi is now invite-free and you can get the Nexus 5x for $199/$249 if you purchase and activate service between now and April 7th:

http://officialandroid.blogspot.com/...o-invites.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.