Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Google Fi: Anyone care to post their experience?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 3, 2017, 5:37 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
Which countries are supported?

https://support.google.com/fi/answer...intl_countries

Note that in some locations Hangouts (and Gmail) are not available (e.g., China, Russia, Thailand, South Korea, Mexico, Argentina, and more: see link below for full list of excluded countries), so you will need a VPN to access them (or to make VOIP calls via Hangouts Dialer)

https://support.google.com/hangouts/answer/3205646

Exceptions:

Listed, but no/spotty service:
  • Ukraine (Aug 2018) - no service, all providers listed as "forbidden". Post #660
  • Alaska (Jul 2018) -- had voice service, but inconsistent/spotty data (try forcing Sprint)
  • Peru (Sep 2016) post 341, 360
  • Grand Cayman Island (Jan 2018) post 547

Not listed, *did* have service
  • Belize (Jan 2018) post 547 Belize now appears on the "supported" international list
If you are having trouble connecting, level 1 Fi reps recommend you try the following steps before they will escalate. Try each step in the order listed below to see if it fixes your issue - if not, move on to next step.

1- Reboot phone
2- Toggle "airplane mode" on/off. Wait five seconds after toggling off (it resets phone modem).
3- Try manually connecting to each available network (rather than using the auto select feature).
4- Toggle down from 4g to 3g (removing the recommended 4g option) and then try manually connecting to each available network.
5- Toggle down from 3g to 2g and then try manually connecting to each available network.
Print Wikipost

Google Fi: Anyone care to post their experience?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2017, 8:31 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by richard
I travel internationally a few times a year. That's what's kept me back from Fi. I have a lot of US domestic travel, and I'm with Verizon and AT&T (on my iOS devices) and it's all domestic unlimited.

Verizon (on my phone) sucks on their $10/day international program, limited as it is to 500MB and also not that fast either.

But, it is easy and there is no additional monthly charge...
Agreed. If I only traveled a few times a year, I'd likely still be with T-Mobile. In my case I'm International for no less than 1/3 of the year and since I was T-Mo in the first place the switch was easy (since domestically with Fi I now have the best of T-Mo and Sprint). Would've been a harder choice if I was with Verizon or AT&T or if I traveled only a few weeks a year. Likely wouldn't have switched if that was the case.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 11:20 pm

Programs: UA MM, SQ KrisFlyer, SPG/Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by TEDisgone
I have started to notice over the past two months that my 6P will randomly reboot (but not the bootlooping issue) - I realize it when I use the fingerprint scanner and it asks for my PIN instead.
I used my 6P mostly plugged in and had both the random restart and the microphone issue. Is there a fix/recall on either issue?
Old Aug 18, 2017, 10:47 am

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
Originally Posted by abraxis
I used my 6P mostly plugged in and had both the random restart and the microphone issue. Is there a fix/recall on either issue?
the random reboots was fixed with an update, can't recall if it was in the OS payload or another one. There were microphone issues, but I think that was a take it in somewhere, or send it in and MAYBE they replaced the phone with a refurb.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 12:07 pm

I'm currently on T-mobile but contemplating switching to Fi due to it being cheaper with our relatively low data use across 5 lines. I've been reading about the difficulties of handing off between networks and dropped calls. Does that still occur? We'd be using a combination of Pixel, Nexus 5X and Pixel 2 (when released) phones. At home I have to use a booster to a reliable T-Mobile signal as my house appears to be at the very edge of their LTE umbrella. I've not checked the Sprint signal as I've never had a Sprint phone in my house.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 12:54 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Don't switch until you've tested this out. There are apps that can help but having an actual phone is best.
As far as I know Fi does not have a booster ability so you'd be potentially left without a signal.
I haven't had issue with my fi phone dropping calls when switching but my domestic use is focused on ATT not fi.

Originally Posted by Lurker1999
I'm currently on T-mobile but contemplating switching to Fi due to it being cheaper with our relatively low data use across 5 lines. I've been reading about the difficulties of handing off between networks and dropped calls. Does that still occur? We'd be using a combination of Pixel, Nexus 5X and Pixel 2 (when released) phones. At home I have to use a booster to a reliable T-Mobile signal as my house appears to be at the very edge of their LTE umbrella. I've not checked the Sprint signal as I've never had a Sprint phone in my house.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 1:36 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
You situation sounds like mine. I found that Sprint wasn't much better. The handoffs are ok, but they don't occur seamlessly. So it generally doesn't hand off while you're on a call. You can easily switch between the two networks when you aren't on a call though. You can use google hangouts to make wifi calls if you have fast wifi in your home. That works quite well.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 5:38 am

Originally Posted by Long Train Runnin
I guess I am starting to travel to the more edge case countries, but my last two international forays have been to Belize and the Maldives. Both places don't support Fi, but my SMS worked perfectly when connected to Wi-Fi. I think I have been to 5 of the unsupported countries now. However, I have been to dozens of supported ones, and I still think its the best choice for me. Although I was a little surprised that Belize didn't have service. I didn't even check ahead of time because it doesn't seem that "exotic" upon landing I got the bad news.
FIs international service charts don't make it obvious where there is limited or no support.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 5:39 am

Apologize if this a dupe, but Fi is having some problems in Hong Kong at the moment. Go to the Fi forum and look at the problems and the work arounds. In essence, you force your phone to 3's 2g network and once registered turn on HSPA but leave LTE off.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 11:13 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, SWA CP
Try OpenSignal. You can tell which carriers have coverage if any. Here is my local area for all carriers:

In my case, as you get closer to the ocean the signal from all carriers gets worse. The app allows you to show the signal strength from each carrier.

Here is my area reduced for T-Mobile only:

I find that Fi switches between Sprint and T-Mobile. Coverage has been OK and much better than Verizon. I'm on T-Mobile at the moment. You can see from the icon at the top. You can check Sprint coverage from this app.
TravelinSperry likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 1:25 pm

Thanks for the information, I'm going to hold off on switching then until I can verify the Sprint signal in my house is any better. I did download the open signal app. Hopefully with background data disabled and no data collection settings it won't consume any battery life.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 2:24 pm

Thanks for the information, I'm going to hold off on switching then until I can verify the Sprint signal in my house is any better. I did download the open signal app. Hopefully with background data disabled and no data collection settings it won't consume any battery life.
I'd recommend buying a prepaid Sprint mvno sim and just driving around with it for a few days in a spare phone (if you have one).
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...9IM/edit#gid=0

Straight Talk sim is probably the easiest to get in person, Red Pocket easy online. Tello, Ting, or FreedomPop probably also inexpensive.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 3:36 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, SWA CP
Fi adds Wifi calling, so signal might not be an issue if you have wifi in your home.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 6:35 pm

Programs: LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan
Originally Posted by Zorak
A shortcut/convenience app for these codes:

Back when I switched to Fi, a co-worker pointed me at Signal Spy: https://www.signalspy.com/

In that app is a button for Launch Dialer Codes that lets you choose a carrier and loads the appropriate code into the clipboard. Then it switches you to the phone app and you just have to paste it into the dialer directly.
have signal spy and I use it a lot. It failed in Copenhagen, thus the chat. We were only there about 30 hours so it really wasn't a big deal.
Old Sep 2, 2017, 12:47 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by Dubai Stu
FIs international service charts don't make it obvious where there is limited or no support.
Add Vietnam as a location with no FI carrier. I turned on the phone in order to book an Uber and got a notification that there is no FI service in Vietnam.
Old Sep 2, 2017, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by yosithezet
Add Vietnam as a location with no FI carrier. I turned on the phone in order to book an Uber and got a notification that there is no FI service in Vietnam.
Interesting, Vietnam is listed as a country with service:
https://fi.google.com/about/rates/?country=VN

Did you try to manually connect to each provider shown?

btw - on another note, the UK is truly difficult with Fi when outside the major cities. Fi does NOT allow one to connect to EE, vodafone or O2. It will only connect with Nova. And Nova does not have good coverage in Scotland. I have been traveling around the Highlands and Hebrides without service for days

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.