Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Google Fi: Anyone care to post their experience?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 3, 2017, 5:37 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
Which countries are supported?

https://support.google.com/fi/answer...intl_countries

Note that in some locations Hangouts (and Gmail) are not available (e.g., China, Russia, Thailand, South Korea, Mexico, Argentina, and more: see link below for full list of excluded countries), so you will need a VPN to access them (or to make VOIP calls via Hangouts Dialer)

https://support.google.com/hangouts/answer/3205646

Exceptions:

Listed, but no/spotty service:
  • Ukraine (Aug 2018) - no service, all providers listed as "forbidden". Post #660
  • Alaska (Jul 2018) -- had voice service, but inconsistent/spotty data (try forcing Sprint)
  • Peru (Sep 2016) post 341, 360
  • Grand Cayman Island (Jan 2018) post 547

Not listed, *did* have service
  • Belize (Jan 2018) post 547 Belize now appears on the "supported" international list
If you are having trouble connecting, level 1 Fi reps recommend you try the following steps before they will escalate. Try each step in the order listed below to see if it fixes your issue - if not, move on to next step.

1- Reboot phone
2- Toggle "airplane mode" on/off. Wait five seconds after toggling off (it resets phone modem).
3- Try manually connecting to each available network (rather than using the auto select feature).
4- Toggle down from 4g to 3g (removing the recommended 4g option) and then try manually connecting to each available network.
5- Toggle down from 3g to 2g and then try manually connecting to each available network.
Print Wikipost

Google Fi: Anyone care to post their experience?

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2017, 8:17 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by eeflyer
Yikes, sorry to hear that. Looking at the communities for the 6p, it looks like there are quite a few issues, from bootloops to quickly deteriorating battery health. Good luck and I hope Huawei support comes through! It seems to be hit or miss depending on the agent you get.
Huawei agreed to an RMA with very little fuss ^ so it may work out.

Although the SIM card doesn't work in my Sprint phone (not sure if Sprint issue or network bands, the phone may or may not be unlocked) at least I can make and receive phone calls and SMS via Hangouts/Hangouts Dialer as long as I have wifi.
Old May 17, 2017, 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by Zorak
Huawei agreed to an RMA with very little fuss ^ so it may work out.

Although the SIM card doesn't work in my Sprint phone (not sure if Sprint issue or network bands, the phone may or may not be unlocked) at least I can make and receive phone calls and SMS via Hangouts/Hangouts Dialer as long as I have wifi.
Thats good to hear! When did you purchase the phone and from whom? Did you also purchase extra warranty or anything like that?
Old May 17, 2017, 5:38 pm

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by eeflyer
Thats good to hear! When did you purchase the phone and from whom? Did you also purchase extra warranty or anything like that?
I bought it from newegg last July, no extra warranty.
Old May 18, 2017, 11:57 am

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
Grr, my Nexus 6P started reboot-looping this morning. I took the latest OTA Android update about a week ago, and from a Google search it seems this has happened to others.

Project Fi won't send me a replacement because I didn't buy the phone directly from them. Working with Huawei support to RMA.

Tried moving the SIM card to my previous phone, a Sprint LG G3 but that doesn't seem happy either.

Guess I'm stuck with Google Voice over wifi for a while
Slightly OT, but my wife and I have had our Nexus 6Ps for barely a year, and they're both now borderline unusable - the latest Android update introduced major lag and instabilities, and the batteries have deteriorated to the point of shutting down without warning at anywhere from 20 to 40% indicated remaining. We've had flagship Android devices for years now (Galaxy S4, Note 2, HTC M8, Sony Xperia Z2, and now these), and none of been this unreliable. I'm disappointed to the point of considering switching back to the iPhone.
Old May 18, 2017, 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by strickerj
Slightly OT, but my wife and I have had our Nexus 6Ps for barely a year, and they're both now borderline unusable - the latest Android update introduced major lag and instabilities, and the batteries have deteriorated to the point of shutting down without warning at anywhere from 20 to 40% indicated remaining. We've had flagship Android devices for years now (Galaxy S4, Note 2, HTC M8, Sony Xperia Z2, and now these), and none of been this unreliable. I'm disappointed to the point of considering switching back to the iPhone.
In the course of my web searches yesterday I saw that there's a class action against Huawei and/or Google pointing the finger at each other and forth leaving consumers in the lurch. This seems somewhat ambulance-chasing but I guess if the two companies are just passing the buck back and forth maybe this gets them to do something about it. I think most class actions mostly make the lawyers rich though?

I have yet to receive the actual RMA label (they said it would be emailed within 2-3 days and I should expect it Friday).
Old May 19, 2017, 5:28 am

In the course of my web searches yesterday I saw that there's a class action against Huawei and/or Google pointing the finger at each other and forth leaving consumers in the lurch. This seems somewhat ambulance-chasing but I guess if the two companies are just passing the buck back and forth maybe this gets them to do something about it. I think most class actions mostly make the lawyers rich though?

I have yet to receive the actual RMA label (they said it would be emailed within 2-3 days and I should expect it Friday).
Interesting, I wasn't aware of that. Agreed on class actions, but sometimes there's no other way to get a company to respond. I've also never had a return (with any company) where the RMA label wasn't automatically emailed immediately - 2 to 3 days seems kind of absurd. Good luck!
Old May 22, 2017, 10:46 am

Interesting, I wasn't aware of that. Agreed on class actions, but sometimes there's no other way to get a company to respond. I've also never had a return (with any company) where the RMA label wasn't automatically emailed immediately - 2 to 3 days seems kind of absurd. Good luck!
So this turned into somewhat of a Kafkaesque nightmare.

5/16: original call. Promised RMA label within 72 hours, i.e. Friday

5/19: promised within 24 hours

5/22 10:30am: I explained my frustration and asked if I could stay on hold until I received the label. The agent confirmed they had all the necessary information already, and after a few minutes came back to say they had spoken with the person who generates the labels and it would be issued within 15 minutes but that they could not wait on hold with me.

5/22 11:30am: I called again, coincidentally got the same agent, and very politely but firmly explained that the call was going to end one of two ways: either I would have an RMA label in my inbox or I was going to rate my experience accordingly. I was on hold a few times, first with them saying the return label generating person claimed to have sent the label, claimed they had sent it again, claimed the return person had sent the label to him and he was now trying to forward it to my email, claimed he had sent it again, none of which resulted in any actual label appearing in my inbox. I was privately giving up hope around this point when he said "ah, I just got a confirmation that the customer's shipping label has been generated" and a second or two later it hit my inbox

I don't *think* there was any bad faith on the part of the 3 agents I spoke with, but either their system is horribly broken or they are lying or being lied to. *Some* of this could be language barrier, but I don't think so -- although the recorded greetings and all 3 agents spoke with distinct Russian or Eastern European accents, their English was of an extremely high level.

I am starting to understand why there is a class action :-/ And while I have the return label and will return the phone for processing, who knows how long that will take, so I'm saying F that and buying a Pixel XL directly from Project Fi. If I get the 6P back while civilization still exists I will try to foist it off on mom or sell it on eBay or something.
Old May 22, 2017, 12:32 pm

So this turned into somewhat of a Kafkaesque nightmare.

5/16: original call. Promised RMA label within 72 hours, i.e. Friday

5/19: promised within 24 hours

5/22 10:30am: I explained my frustration and asked if I could stay on hold until I received the label. The agent confirmed they had all the necessary information already, and after a few minutes came back to say they had spoken with the person who generates the labels and it would be issued within 15 minutes but that they could not wait on hold with me.

5/22 11:30am: I called again, coincidentally got the same agent, and very politely but firmly explained that the call was going to end one of two ways: either I would have an RMA label in my inbox or I was going to rate my experience accordingly. I was on hold a few times, first with them saying the return label generating person claimed to have sent the label, claimed they had sent it again, claimed the return person had sent the label to him and he was now trying to forward it to my email, claimed he had sent it again, none of which resulted in any actual label appearing in my inbox. I was privately giving up hope around this point when he said "ah, I just got a confirmation that the customer's shipping label has been generated" and a second or two later it hit my inbox

I don't *think* there was any bad faith on the part of the 3 agents I spoke with, but either their system is horribly broken or they are lying or being lied to. *Some* of this could be language barrier, but I don't think so -- although the recorded greetings and all 3 agents spoke with distinct Russian or Eastern European accents, their English was of an extremely high level.

I am starting to understand why there is a class action :-/ And while I have the return label and will return the phone for processing, who knows how long that will take, so I'm saying F that and buying a Pixel XL directly from Project Fi. If I get the 6P back while civilization still exists I will try to foist it off on mom or sell it on eBay or something.
Jeez, sorry to hear all that... Considering the issues that the last Nexus and now the Pixels are having, I'm certainly not buying another Google branded phone any time soon. We're just about ready to give up on our 6Ps - my wife wants the HTC 10 since she had a good experience with her M8, and I'm thinking I might go back to the iPhone, much as it pains me, lol.
Old May 22, 2017, 12:39 pm

Jeez, sorry to hear all that... Considering the issues that the last Nexus and now the Pixels are having, I'm certainly not buying another Google branded phone any time soon. We're just about ready to give up on our 6Ps - my wife wants the HTC 10 since she had a good experience with her M8, and I'm thinking I might go back to the iPhone, much as it pains me, lol.
Project Fi was willing to ship me a replacement 6P in advance, until they found out I didn't buy the 6P directly from them. So I figure buying a Pixel directly from Fi at least gives me that buffer if any future issues arise...
Old May 24, 2017, 10:21 am

Programs: LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan
project Fi Travel Trolley

g.co/fi/flywithfi

Free gifts for subscribers at the mentioned airport locations. get it while you can.
Old May 24, 2017, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by boerne
g.co/fi/flywithfi

Free gifts for subscribers at the mentioned airport locations. get it while you can.
The one at SJC's been around for a while. Has there been any indication that it's going away at any of those locations?
Old May 26, 2017, 10:43 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, BA Silver, AC, AF/KL, AV, VS | Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
I have started to notice over the past two months that my 6P will randomly reboot (but not the bootlooping issue) - I realize it when I use the fingerprint scanner and it asks for my PIN instead. This week I experienced a system freeze for the first time and I could not get it to restart. After about 10 minutes I tried again and got it to do so. It's running fine but battery endurance is noticeably down and I haven't used it any differently than usual.

Now, I see that Android version updates end September 2017 (security updates end September 2018) and that the Pixel 2 is rumored to be out in October 2017... Scheduled obsolescence?

With no international travel scheduled for the next few years I'm starting to wonder if moving to the iPhone on a MVNO is the way to go.
Old May 27, 2017, 4:34 am

Originally Posted by TEDisgone
I have started to notice over the past two months that my 6P will randomly reboot (but not the bootlooping issue) - I realize it when I use the fingerprint scanner and it asks for my PIN instead. This week I experienced a system freeze for the first time and I could not get it to restart. After about 10 minutes I tried again and got it to do so. It's running fine but battery endurance is noticeably down and I haven't used it any differently than usual.

Now, I see that Android version updates end September 2017 (security updates end September 2018) and that the Pixel 2 is rumored to be out in October 2017... Scheduled obsolescence?

With no international travel scheduled for the next few years I'm starting to wonder if moving to the iPhone on a MVNO is the way to go.
Android will occasionally ask for a PIN for security reasons, even if you don't reboot.

I've seen many complaints about battery life (usage patterns and phone age seem to drive this), but a 10 minute freeze is a new one for me.

Android has had a two year version update policy for a long time. Google tends to announce a new phone every year. There are many third party ROMs that will provide version updates after two years, if you want to go down that path.

Why are you bundling phone choice and carrier choice? In most countries you can buy a local SIM for a reasonable amount that you could use with any modern unlocked Android phone or iphone.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 10:07 pm

Followup to my previous post:

5/23: dropped off at UPS store
5/24: delivered to their repair center in DFW
5/26: notification of return shipment created, UPS next day saver
bearing in mind this was Friday before the long weekend
5/30: UPS tracking indicates they mis-sorted the package and it's now in NOLA
6/1: delivered

The phone I received back has the same serial number as the one I sent in, so guess they were able to revive it. It's in a factory reset/initial setup condition, although whether that's something they did and/or the remote erase request I made from Google's Android device manager UI I don't know.

So the turnaround was pretty good (can't blame Huawei for the UPS snafu) but getting the RMA label was so painful this has pretty much turned me off of this brand I think.

The strangest part is that the return shipping box contained (1) my phone and (2) a fairly plain but Huawei-branded ballpoint pen, except that the pen was completely disassembled and the constituent parts were just lying loose in the box. /shrug
Old Jun 3, 2017, 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by TEDisgone
I have started to notice over the past two months that my 6P will randomly reboot (but not the bootlooping issue) - I realize it when I use the fingerprint scanner and it asks for my PIN instead. This week I experienced a system freeze for the first time and I could not get it to restart. After about 10 minutes I tried again and got it to do so. It's running fine but battery endurance is noticeably down and I haven't used it any differently than usual...
As richarddd said, it will have you enter your PIN periodically anyway - when it does, note whether the message says "PIN required for additional security" or "PIN required when device restarts".

I've also experienced the 10 minute freeze-ups (just have to wait it out as far as I can tell), and my wife has had the random reboots, though I've managed to be spared that particular issue. I now have an iPhone 7, and my wife has an HTC 10, and so far we're both quite happy. (The Nexus 6P was a bit unwieldy for me anyway, and I found the location of the fingerprint scanner inconvenient.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.