Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Free Windows 10 upgrade

Free Windows 10 upgrade

Old Aug 1, 2015, 9:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So far I've got 9 machines registered.

I still think I'm going to wait a while before I jump into the fray. Win 7 is still doing fine with me. I've got a year, right?
Old Aug 1, 2015, 9:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
I asked for the source because it cannot write into the CMOS. And the CMOS...ill just stop here.

Is your machine UEFI or BIOS?
BIOS. Whatever the MS UG/DG did, it must have modified the boot order *and* disabled the keyboard input. I can't imagine that could have happened w/o writing to the CMOS?
Old Aug 1, 2015, 10:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
BIOS. Whatever the MS UG/DG did, it must have modified the boot order *and* disabled the keyboard input. I can't imagine that could have happened w/o writing to the CMOS?
What does your primary hard disk partition look like? Is there a Fat32 partition? Or just NTFS?

Also, for your knowledge - this is the difference between the CMOS and a BIOS.

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch001360.htm

While I respect your opinion, I find it highly unlikely that it went in to change the boot order AND disabled the keyboard input. In fact, dare I say it, it's impossible. Something else must have happened.

PS - check your PM.

Also, is your mobo UEFI compliant? (and you just turned on legacy BIOS) or is your board a BIOS only (for all intents and purposes) board?

Last edited by superangrypenguin; Aug 1, 2015 at 10:10 pm
Old Aug 1, 2015, 10:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What does your primary hard disk partition look like? Is there a Fat32 partition? Or just NTFS?
Have 2 drives. The OEM one which was partioned by Acer. Think it is NTFS. The 1TB Seagate is definitely NTFS and formatted in a single partition. The Seagate was working when I changed drives to try the UG.

Also, for your knowledge - this is the difference between the CMOS and a BIOS.
BIOS being the programming code that runs the computer and CMOS is what it is stored on.

While I respect your opinion, I find it highly unlikely that it went in to change the boot order AND disabled the keyboard input. In fact, dare I say it, it's impossible. Something else must have happened.
What could have? Not responding to any KB inputs. I should try to video what it is doing.

Also, is your mobo UEFI compliant? (and you just turned on legacy BIOS) or is your board a BIOS only (for all intents and purposes) board?
[/quote]

No UEFI option or any option to switch to such in BIOS (Phoenix FWIW) on the bricked Acer (the 1 year newer Aspire I am typing this on does though, and I will not be UGing to Win 10 on it).
Old Aug 1, 2015, 10:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
What could have? Not responding to any KB inputs. I should try to video what it is doing.
I would love to see this! I'm curious to see what is going on. Thanks!

Worst case, PM responded to
Old Aug 1, 2015, 11:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would love to see this! I'm curious to see what is going on. Thanks!
In all its sordid glory.....

Old Aug 2, 2015, 7:54 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
https://youtu.be/taWuuXlT7NQ
Pulled that HDD (or SSD) out of the Acer, then - see if you can reboot to "No OS installed" or go to Bios (Setup) directly by hitting F2 or whatever assigned/default Function key, I feel your frustration

Do you have a working Linux OS on a USB stick - see if you can boot into that after pulling the HDD & into the Setup/Safe Mode to reset everything. It's difficult to do on the road without tools and/or access to extra parts - maybe, open up the cover/case/back & pull out the CMOS "coin" battery, wait 5 minutes & pop in a new one. Acer's MB isn't 100% DOA and just need to find a way to "interrupt" its current boot/startup sequence.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've tried no HD and even the normal Win 8.1 disk but no go on that. USB key (with 8/8.1 recovery AND minimal DOS) doesn't work, nor does a Win 7 recovery DVD. Might try a CD next as it is trying to boot to optical and something fast may work (even tried the HD in an ODD caddy).

And Acer seems to have gone towards using non-volatile CMOS so one cannot reset the memory by taking out the CMOS battery (done that, out for an hour+). Have to find CMOS shorting points (none apparent) or it would seem, try to reflash the memory (but the files may not be publicly available).
Old Aug 2, 2015, 9:00 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
I've tried ... Have to find CMOS shorting points (none apparent) or it would seem, try to reflash the memory (but the files may not be publicly available).
Yikes ... tried skipping this link and see if there's anything of use to you http://forum.notebookreview.com/thre...thread.664178/

Over at MDL Forum, seemed that hardware with AMD chipsets are experiencing more "challenges" upgrading to W10 for whatever reasons ... and 64 bits OS isn't as kind as 32 bits.

Updated both "older" Dell laptop of mine & 2 Dell desktop thus far, gone 99.8% smoothly - holding off doing my Sony Viao, lightweight & slim for travel - AMD chipset and support site advising to hold off until they can test all the drivers & see if patches are needed, etc. - perhaps ... So, I'm going to wait.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 9:08 am

Programs: AA P4L, WN, BA, DL, UA, HHonors, IHG
Boy, the Win10 download is so slow...took overnight over high-speed internet connection.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 9:16 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

I am counting my blessings after reading this thread.

My download was relatively quick ( about 90 minutes) from start to finish.

The only 2 issues I have found so far:

1. my inability to get regular Chrome to load. I switched to Chrome Canary and it works fine.

2. it appears to drain the battery on my Samsung Ativa much faster then 8.1 did.

I do have another laptop to upgrade...but I am giving it a few weeks to see how it plays out with this one.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Letitride3c
Yikes ... tried skipping this link and see if there's anything of use to you http://forum.notebookreview.com/thre...thread.664178/
Thanks. Last post there was mine... Trying to follow all leads.

Over at MDL Forum, seemed that hardware with AMD chipsets are experiencing more "challenges" upgrading to W10 for whatever reasons ... and 64 bits OS isn't as kind as 32 bits.
The bricked laptop falls into both: AMD and 64 bit....

Last edited by YVR Cockroach; Aug 2, 2015 at 10:06 am
Old Aug 2, 2015, 10:27 am
Suspended

https://youtu.be/taWuuXlT7NQ
Yeah, now that's beyond my paygrade Hopefully the PM stuff will help.

What used to happen directly after? The Windows boot screen?

I still cannot fathom how the W10 upgrade caused that to happen. In fact, my entire world is now....flipped upside down. I just can't think of what happened to cause that. In support, root cause is usually narrowed down to an event that triggered the problem. So in this case, I agree, it probably has something to do with the W10 upgrade. However, in my head, that's an impossible root cause. Would be very interested to hear what the issue was!
Old Aug 2, 2015, 10:29 am
Suspended

BIOS being the programming code that runs the computer and CMOS is what it is stored on.
Not quite But we're getting OT. I'm happy to continue having this conversation offline but just wanted to put it out there that no, that's not quite how that works
Old Aug 2, 2015, 10:31 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by BigLar
So far I've got 9 machines registered.

I still think I'm going to wait a while before I jump into the fray. Win 7 is still doing fine with me. I've got a year, right?
Upgrading an OS can be a challenge. However, I'd say that like many things on FT, the ones that report a successful upgrade = no comment. The ones that run into an issue, make it onto an IBB.

Anyways, to answer your question, you have technically until 2020, when W7 is end of life (EOL).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.