Free Windows 10 upgrade

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Free Windows 10 upgrade

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2015, 9:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
Modern UI. The term Metro is now no longer used.
Once your codename leaks, you can't always take it back.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by nkedel
Once your codename leaks, you can't always take it back.
It's no longer used because it is rumored that MS couldn't agree terms with the German owners of the Metro trademark http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/08...lled_windows8/

I was along with a few others at a demonstration of Windows 8 where there was small audience and the average age was about thirty. Someone after we had been shown the two different interfaces said "So you use the Desktop that's fairly normal, but what's the point of the metro one. Demonstrator explained that this was helpful for touchscreens and made finding apps easier. "It doesn't look it" was the reply "the start menu seems easier in windows 7 and what's the point of a touchscreen on a laptop? Do they give you a screen cleaning cloth too?"

Later on someone else asked how you shut down the laptop given a lack of start button/menu* and his answer had people laughing in a puerile manner. "Ah that's easy" he replied "You just stroke the charm bar and then press this [setting] button with your finger (people were laughing by this point) and select shutdown" the worst bit was he couldn't see what was so funny and just repeated it. It probably would have helped if he'd said swiped but by that point we were past caring.

*There wasn't a power button on the Modern/Metro menu on this machine.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Start8 and Norton have no issues - I've been using them together for years.

And according to MS, it's neither Metro nor Modern, just "Microsoft design language" or plain "Windows". At least that's easier than skeuomorphic.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 8:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by CPRich
Start8 and Norton have no issues - I've been using them together for years.
Am I reading this right? You're using Start 8 for Windows 10? (being that this is the Win10 thread). Why if I may ask?

As far as Norton...<sigh>
Old Jun 29, 2015, 10:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Am I reading this right? You're using Start 8 for Windows 10? (being that this is the Win10 thread). Why if I may ask?
I think he was addressing the problem anrkitec had with Start Menu 8 (an unrelated product to do similar things, from iOrbit -- Start8 is from StarDock.)

That said, the start menu in Windows 8 is a little... different, and for some folks Start8 (or the new Start10 from Stardock, although in my brief experience trying it Start8 does work fine) might be worthwhile to make Windows 10 more familiar and like Vista/7.

If you really want it to work like XP (gawd, why?) ClassicShell is probably the better option. Haven't tried it on 10 but since 10 is really 8.2, I'd be surprised if it didn't work.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 10:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
I think he was addressing the problem anrkitec had with Start Menu 8 (an unrelated product to do similar things, from iOrbit -- Start8 is from StarDock.)

That said, the start menu in Windows 8 is a little... different, and for some folks Start8 (or the new Start10 from Stardock, although in my brief experience trying it Start8 does work fine) might be worthwhile to make Windows 10 more familiar and like Vista/7.

If you really want it to work like XP (gawd, why?) ClassicShell is probably the better option. Haven't tried it on 10 but since 10 is really 8.2, I'd be surprised if it didn't work.
Thanks for the clarification. That explains a lot! ^
Old Jun 30, 2015, 2:21 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

There's also a Start10 in beta.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 4:37 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
Originally Posted by BigLar
So why am I not getting the icon? So far, only 3 or 4 of my machines have got the "Get Windows 10" icon. Those that have range in age, as do those who don't.

I checked and all got the update (KB3035583). I leave them connected, check for updates, etc. - you know, hang around and see if something good happens. It doesn't.

Is there something else I should be doing? I checked the requirements and I'm well above the minimum processor speed/RAM requirements. I used CPU-Z to see if I had the cpu capability:

SSE2
EM64T
VT-d or VT-x

Those that have gotten the icon don't seem to have VT-x, but at least one that hasn't gotten it yet does have it.

I guess I can just keep on doing what I'm doing, but I'm just wondering if I'm doing enough/the right thing(s).
I also have a desktop that did not receive an offer to upgrade. It was originally a WinXP machine, but when the hard drive died, I installed a new HD with W7 Home Premium on it... licensed copy with the serial # sticker attached to the machine.

That said, I just have some nagging doubts that this transition to W10 will go smoothly. I certainly don't plan to be among the earlier upgraders, even on my several laptops that have received the upgrade offer.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Most of my machines have done well with the upgrade to the latest Preview Edition. On the ones that didn't, the "reset" functionality (which basically does a clean reinstall in place) works brilliantly for clearing out upgraded drivers that had problems on all but one of them.

The Preview versions have come a LONG way in stability and usability since I started running 10074 on my spare travel machine. On two of my machines, including my main day to day one, it's a huge improvement over 8.1.

X201 travel machine: upgraded to 10074, worked well with every build except 10162 which had a video driver fault -- fixed in 10166.

Dell M3800: tried an upgrade to an earlier version pre-10074, and found that the Optimus video card combination was unusable. Tried again on 10162, upgrade in place (although I manually uninstalled the NVidia drivers first), and has been working beautifully since. Has a 3K IGZO screen, and the HiDPI support in Windows 10 hugely better than 8.1

Venue 11 Pro: upgraded to 10162. All kinds of driver problems with the in-place upgrade, did "reset" and let it use Windows 10 native drivers, worked much better (but required reinstalling all my applications.) Once done, it's been absolutely brilliant; the touch and hybrid tablet support is much, much better than 8.1

Intel compute stick: unusably slow with 8.1, even worse with upgrade in place to 10. "Reset" didn't clear all the bad stuff; clean reinstall did, after which point I discovered that there were a lot of native drivers missing. Found Windows 8.x drivers online, reasonably usable since and a little zippier than 8.1+ClassicShell, but still kind of a joke machine.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 9:53 pm
Suspended

10162 works well for me.
Old Jul 17, 2015, 1:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

10240 just dropped, some sites are claiming it's RTM. All 4 of my systems are downloading or installing it as I write.
Old Jul 17, 2015, 1:40 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Anybody used the later versions of the preview on a Surface 3?

I tried when the Surface 3 was released, and it was a disaster

I'm wondering whether to take the plunge again...
Old Jul 17, 2015, 2:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Anybody used the later versions of the preview on a Surface 3?
The guts of my Venue 11 Pro are very similar to the Surface Pro. I've been running the last couple of releases on it, and am quite pleased.

That said, the newest ISO available for direct upgrades is two versions back now, and we're less than 2 weeks out from the official release. I'd wait for that unless you're particularly impatient.
Old Jul 17, 2015, 8:58 am
Suspended

10240 just dropped, some sites are claiming it's RTM. All 4 of my systems are downloading or installing it as I write.
Feedback about this build?
Old Jul 18, 2015, 2:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Feedback about this build?
Brought back the intermittent freezes on the X201, which I attributed to video-driver issues on there but may be something else - am wondering if it being "fixed" on 10166 was coincidence.

Otherwise, seems thoroughly stable on the other machines, although there's no really visible difference I've noticed since 10162

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.