Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Free Windows 10 upgrade

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2015, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
I've started to read people who have UGd Acer Aspire (One model) where BIOS cannot be accessed by keyboard after the UG.

Here's one of desktop being bricked by Win 10 Technical Preview:

http://forums.windowscentral.com/win...ould-i-do.html

Here's more to being locked out of BIOS with Win 10....

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...1-992c912e3c64

http://superuser.com/questions/94816...er-access-bios

Last edited by YVR Cockroach; Aug 2, 2015 at 1:47 pm
Old Aug 2, 2015, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HDQDD
Sounds like you might have a corrupt MBR.

http://forums.techdiscussion.in/show...llation-Solved
It happens with NO HD installed......
Old Aug 2, 2015, 1:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
I've started to read people who have UGd Acer Aspire (One model) where BIOS cannot be accessed by keyboard after the UG.

Here's one of desktop being bricked by Win 10 Technical Preview:

http://forums.windowscentral.com/win...ould-i-do.html
Interesting read. To be fair, one was a technical preview versus yours is not.

Having said that though, as it does mention in that thread and it does confirm my belief, Windows cannot alter your BIOS.

At this point I think it'd be best to get ahold of Acer...
Old Aug 2, 2015, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
Interesting read. To be fair, one was a technical preview versus yours is not.
The HD I used for the UG was also the one that had a version of Technical Preview on it - a version that bombed completely. Didn't mess up the computer that time though.

Having said that though, as it does mention in that thread and it does confirm my belief, Windows cannot alter your BIOS.
But it does seem to be causing similar problems of bricking the MB if the CMOS cannot be reset/cleared.

At this point I think it'd be best to get ahold of Acer...
I'll try to the community. For out-of-warranty stuff, they've washed their hands and dumped it on a Sutherland Global Services. I've called and they seem (because they are?) as helpful as your typical ICC. Told me to take it to a local repair shop.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 2:48 am

never mind, I had upgraded win7.1 running in vmware fusion using the iso method, and it was working fine yesterday, today it boots up, but when I login the screen just keeps blinking. Can't figure out how to get to the windows option screen, so I'm just restoring the snapshot for now and back to win7.1.

I might try again. Or just wait until vmware has an update.

ok, upgraded again, seems to be ok now. These are the instructions for dealing with the display driver in vmware fusion: (download the iso, upgrade using the iso)

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/mic...rnalId=2126929

update again: I continued to have problems, so I started over again, this time I changed the VM type to win10 x64, then I noticed I had a reduced set of display resolutions, so I repaired the vmware tools installation, and it reinstalled the display driver, which restored all the resolutions. That also brought back 'sleep' in the power menu.

I think reinstalling/repairing the vmware tools (drivers) is the key here. At least it seemed to be for me. I'm not going to go back and experiment with the vm type.

ETA - I guess the third time is the charm for me. The display driver was certainly at least part of my issue.

Make liberal use of snapshots so you can go back at any point. You can always delete the extra snapshots later.

-David

Last edited by LIH Prem; Aug 3, 2015 at 6:40 am
Old Aug 3, 2015, 10:11 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by LIH Prem
never mind, I had upgraded win7.1 running in vmware fusion using the iso method, and it was working fine yesterday, today it boots up, but when I login the screen just keeps blinking. Can't figure out how to get to the windows option screen, so I'm just restoring the snapshot for now and back to win7.1.

I might try again. Or just wait until vmware has an update.

ok, upgraded again, seems to be ok now. These are the instructions for dealing with the display driver in vmware fusion: (download the iso, upgrade using the iso)

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/mic...rnalId=2126929

update again: I continued to have problems, so I started over again, this time I changed the VM type to win10 x64, then I noticed I had a reduced set of display resolutions, so I repaired the vmware tools installation, and it reinstalled the display driver, which restored all the resolutions. That also brought back 'sleep' in the power menu.

I think reinstalling/repairing the vmware tools (drivers) is the key here. At least it seemed to be for me. I'm not going to go back and experiment with the vm type.

ETA - I guess the third time is the charm for me. The display driver was certainly at least part of my issue.

Make liberal use of snapshots so you can go back at any point. You can always delete the extra snapshots later.

-David
Is this even a supported configuration?
Old Aug 3, 2015, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Two laptops and a desktop that are still in queue for notification to install. Maybe I'll just wait for Windows 10.1.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, DL DIrt Medallion
Originally Posted by pseudoswede
Two laptops and a desktop that are still in queue for notification to install. Maybe I'll just wait for Windows 10.1.
It's simple to "force" the upgrade if you want it.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 11:05 am
Suspended

If there is going to be one
Old Aug 3, 2015, 11:06 am

Mine installed yesterday. One Caveat. Be sure you are reacting to an offer that comes as a pop up on your screen and NOT an email offer requiring you to click a link. There are some scams out there.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SRQ Guy
It's simple to "force" the upgrade if you want it.
After reading some of the issues in this thread (my desktop has an AMD processor), I think it might be best to wait a bit.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

After reading some of the issues in this thread (my desktop has an AMD processor), I think it might be best to wait a bit.
Perhaps a good idea. I will say that I upgraded my home desktop (an AMD-powered HP from circa 2008) with no issues at all. It was the smoothest Windows upgrade I've ever done.

I'm giving it a week or two before I upgrade any of my work PC's, though, just in case.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 11:36 am
Suspended

14 million people are on Win10. I would just backup your machine, install the upgrade and enjoy

I've been using Win10 TP on my work machine and home machine since build 10162...
Old Aug 3, 2015, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SRQ Guy
Perhaps a good idea. I will say that I upgraded my home desktop (an AMD-powered HP from circa 2008) with no issues at all. It was the smoothest Windows upgrade I've ever done.
Actually, my home-built desktop was made around that time--I believe it has an Athlon II X4 proc. There is hope.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Actually, my home-built desktop was made around that time--I believe it has an Athlon II X4 proc. There is hope.
I just double-checked, and I actually bought it in 2010. The processor is a Phenom X4.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.