Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How to block calls when overseas?

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2015, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
How to block calls when overseas?

My cell phone provider (AT&T) charges me $2.50 for each incoming call (even if I don't answer). How can I block this on my iPhone? I guess I can just put it on airplane mode, and turn that off when I need to access my email or use the data, but if someone leaves a voice mail, that would probably come in when I turn the phone back on. Any thoughts?
Old May 26, 2015, 9:47 am

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
I used to get over this problem with Hullomail, but have not used it much since my overseas roaming became cheaper, so cant say how it currently performs. I used to put phone on airplane mode.

It does the voicemail and emails a .wav file with the voicemail that you pick up as data - particularly with free wifi.

I found it an excellent service.
Old May 26, 2015, 9:48 am

http://osxdaily.com/2013/05/08/turn-off-phone-calls-keep-data-iphone/
Old May 27, 2015, 6:38 am

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
My cell phone provider (AT&T) charges me $2.50 for each incoming call (even if I don't answer). How can I block this on my iPhone? I guess I can just put it on airplane mode, and turn that off when I need to access my email or use the data, but if someone leaves a voice mail, that would probably come in when I turn the phone back on. Any thoughts?
Use the star/hash (*/#) code *21#<enter> that will automatically forward all calls to voicemail. You should not be charged since network already knows you are unavailable. To deactivate forward all calls use code #21#<enter>.
Old May 27, 2015, 8:22 am

I just forward the phone number to my home phone. The good thing about forwarding the number is that TXT will come thru fine. If you are signing up for the AT&T Passport plan for the travel, txt is unlimited.
Old May 27, 2015, 7:03 pm

I forward it to Google Voice and shut off call forwarding. I get a bad transcription, a WAV file to download if I want to know more and inbound calls over wifi when I'm on the net.
Old May 28, 2015, 6:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by weekilter
Use the star/hash (*/#) code *21#<enter> that will automatically forward all calls to voicemail. You should not be charged since network already knows you are unavailable. To deactivate forward all calls use code #21#<enter>.
This seems like the best option, but it says Error Performing Request/Setting Activation Failed. I wonder if it doesn't work for AT&T phones?
Old May 28, 2015, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This seems like the best option, but it says Error Performing Request/Setting Activation Failed. I wonder if it doesn't work for AT&T phones?
That's because the given code is incorrect. To forward all calls, dial

Code:
*21*destination number*
To cancel call forwarding, it's

Code:
##21#
Note that you may need to manually reestablish the conditional forwards to voicemail when you're done...if so, it's

Code:
*004#
Lastly, you might be able to manage it all from Settings --> Phone.
Old May 28, 2015, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Change providers. That is archaic imho.
Old May 28, 2015, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
That's because the given code is incorrect. To forward all calls, dial

Code:
*21*destination number*
To cancel call forwarding, it's

Code:
##21#
Note that you may need to manually reestablish the conditional forwards to voicemail when you're done...if so, it's

Code:
*004#
Lastly, you might be able to manage it all from Settings --> Phone.
What is the destination number? Your own phone number?I put that in (assuming those are stars before and in between and after. Didn't work.
Old May 28, 2015, 6:19 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus
What is the destination number? Your own phone number?I put that in (assuming those are stars before and in between and after. Didn't work.
The destination phone number is the number to which you want to forward all calls. Your Google Voice number, for example.
Old May 28, 2015, 6:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Why not just airplane mode and turn on Wifi?
Old May 28, 2015, 6:48 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
What is the destination number? .
If you want to forward all calls to your AT&T Voicemail box, you need to know the telephone number of the Voicemail center. To find this, key: *#67# and press [Send]. The phone should display the telephone number to which unanswered calls are forwarded.

Use that number with the command suggested by gfunkdave, or use the iPhone's Call Forwarding menu. (I do not have an iPhone, but I expect there is one.)

See here:

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/art...-to-voicemail/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.