Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Macbook Pro 15" v. Machbook Air 13" ?

Macbook Pro 15" v. Machbook Air 13" ?

Old May 25, 2015, 3:51 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
Not too sure which machines you are comparing here ("15" macbook air""), but the at this stage in apple laptop history there is no 15" macbook air, and if it is a 15" macbook pro, then it is going to be a retina machine only.. which is a HUGE difference in usability.

With the new low end rMBP 15" inch, yes the integrated graphics processor is nearly the same as the recent 13" MBA, but with the 16GB of RAM on the rMBP you'll have more headroom with the 15" rMBP for the memory the the intel iris pro graphics will use up at peak demand.

As others mentioned. IF portability is a priority, and IF a retina display is a preference I would really recommend the 13" MBP which today is probably one of the best values for the money of the mac lineup. It is a very very strong performer, better battery life than the 15", great screen and very fast. Can be configured up to 16GB RAM and with an i7 processor as well.
Old May 25, 2015, 10:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by nmenaker
With the new low end rMBP 15" inch, yes the integrated graphics processor is nearly the same as the recent 13" MBA, but with the 16GB of RAM on the rMBP you'll have more headroom with the 15" rMBP for the memory the the intel iris pro graphics will use up at peak demand.
...and two more cores, and much faster cores than the MBA. (The MBP 13" gets the latter, but not the former.)

Can be configured up to 16GB RAM and with an i7 processor as well.
...although there's relatively little cost justification for the jump from the dual-core i5 to the dual-core i7; the lowest end quad core in the MBP 15" is still much faster for most workloads than the dual-core i7 and the speedbump from the middle-of-the-lineup i5 to the i7 dualcore in the MBP 13" is marginal.

That said, I'd certainly agree that the MBP 13" is pretty much the sweet spot in the Apple lineup (and has been, for general use, for years -- hardly just the current retina version, although it's a very nice machine.)
Old May 25, 2015, 11:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by nkedel
...and two more cores, and much faster cores than the MBA. (The MBP 13" gets the latter, but not the former.)

...although there's relatively little cost justification for the jump from the dual-core i5 to the dual-core i7; the lowest end quad core in the MBP 15" is still much faster for most workloads than the dual-core i7 and the speedbump from the middle-of-the-lineup i5 to the i7 dualcore in the MBP 13" is marginal.

That said, I'd certainly agree that the MBP 13" is pretty much the sweet spot in the Apple lineup (and has been, for general use, for years -- hardly just the current retina version, although it's a very nice machine.)
It's really use dependent I suspect. I have both and don't notice any performance difference. The screen on the MBP I notice. And the MBP is current generation while the Air is older.
Old May 26, 2015, 1:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
It's really use dependent I suspect. I have both and don't notice any performance difference. The screen on the MBP I notice. And the MBP is current generation while the Air is older.
When the machine is new (and if by last-generation, you're talking about Haswell) , it's both use-dependent and patience-dependent -- if it follows the pattern of prior ULV processors, the MBP processor will feel fresh several years longer than the MBA.

It does depend a bit on whether the trend towards ever-bulkier apps and javascript on web sites continues. The push on the PC side for ever-cheaper machines, and the push on both PC and Mac for longer battery life does discourage that somewhat.
Old May 26, 2015, 5:07 am

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
duet

Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
Another option that I have on occasion used when traveling is to use an iPad as a second monitor for a Mac Book Air. It works pretty well with an app, the name of which escapes me and I don't have my iPad handy to check.
duet works well, there is another new one though.
Old May 26, 2015, 8:37 am

I have a 2011 13" air and a 2013 15" MBP retina.

For airline travel and use while on a plane the 13 is what I grab every time.

With the 15" I cannot fit the laptop and a drink on the fold down table simultaneously. This is a pain on the early morning flights when you want a cup of coffee while you do some work.

Unless I'm editing video or some other horrendously GPU intensive tasks - the air handles all my office and light photo needs just fine.

For single bag trips - the air, a braincell to carry it, and my aeronaut make a tidy package that is still light and allows you a small bag to carry from the hotel room to the show, or remote office while the larger bag stays in the hotel.

UD
Old May 26, 2015, 8:39 am

Originally Posted by nmenaker
duet works well, there is another new one though.
I use Air Display from Avatron.

UD
Old May 26, 2015, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by Uncle Dave
I use Air Display from Avatron.

UD
That's the one I use too. Thanks.
Old May 26, 2015, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by nkedel
When the machine is new (and if by last-generation, you're talking about Haswell) , it's both use-dependent and patience-dependent -- if it follows the pattern of prior ULV processors, the MBP processor will feel fresh several years longer than the MBA.

It does depend a bit on whether the trend towards ever-bulkier apps and javascript on web sites continues. The push on the PC side for ever-cheaper machines, and the push on both PC and Mac for longer battery life does discourage that somewhat.
Yes, the MBP is current generation. I just can't tell a difference in what I do. I don't think specs are meaningful if they don't impact application. The Air does what I use it for fast. I can't tell the difference between 0.05 and 0.08 seconds or whatever. I love the screen on the New MBP though.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Interesting review of Apple laptops in today's WSJ. Not so surprising conclusion is that MBP 13" (2015) offers best combination of features for price, though Air is a good choice for travelers
Old Jun 11, 2015, 1:12 am

Programs: NZ Gold Elite, AS, AC, QF
Until recently I would've said "go Pro" if you're anything more than a web searcher/emailer. But work requisitioned a 13" Air to me for travelling. I have a 15" Pro as well (OK I have 2, one personal and one through work). All are Retina.

When my current Pro gives up the ghost I'll be going for an Air as its replacement. I used to do a fair bit of video editing, but the only remotely processor-intensive thing I do now is running Parallels. But with the RAM maxed out and a decent amount of SSM I experience no difference. I do still keep a USB 3 bus powered 1TB hard drive handy; but haven't needed to use it once so far.

My road warrior gear is now: MacBook Air 13", iPad mini (with keyboard case) and iPhone 6+.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 6:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by jawnbc
Until recently I would've said "go Pro" if you're anything more than a web searcher/emailer. But work requisitioned a 13" Air to me for travelling. I have a 15" Pro as well (OK I have 2, one personal and one through work). All are Retina.

When my current Pro gives up the ghost I'll be going for an Air as its replacement. I used to do a fair bit of video editing, but the only remotely processor-intensive thing I do now is running Parallels. But with the RAM maxed out and a decent amount of SSM I experience no difference. I do still keep a USB 3 bus powered 1TB hard drive handy; but haven't needed to use it once so far.

My road warrior gear is now: MacBook Air 13", iPad mini (with keyboard case) and iPhone 6+.
Apple doesn't make an Air with Retina Display. (unless you're just talking about the 15" mbp) i think that the lack of Retina is the biggest gripe.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 5:52 pm

Programs: NZ Gold Elite, AS, AC, QF
Correct-- I meant both MacBooks are retina.
Originally Posted by WIRunner
Apple doesn't make an Air with Retina Display. (unless you're just talking about the 15" mbp) i think that the lack of Retina is the biggest gripe.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.