Wiki Posts
Search

Slingbox alternatives

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2015, 9:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
Slingbox alternatives

Sling is in the middle of screwing up the SlingBox world. I just got updated to the latest Chrome and Firefox plug-ins and they are buggy and crash. But that's not the real issue. They have decided to stream ads along with the video. So now, if it works, "full screen" is a box on the screen and there are ads being served.

I've owned in two homes over the last 10 years AV's, Solo's and now 350's. Unless Sling quickly changes their mind on serving ads, I will be replacing both 350's with something else.

Anybody using something else they like?
Old Apr 23, 2015, 7:41 am

I realize this isn't a direct replacement if true Live TV is your goal, but I have been using Plex for several months now and I love it. Granted, it takes some configuration, and it isn't for ad-hoc live streaming or sports, but I have found that most of the content I want to watch I try to download in advance and then copy it to my Plex server. It is then accessible from virtually any device I own, and from anywhere I happen to be with a good connection.

I will keep my Sling for those times when I absolutely must watch the big game and I do not happen to be home at the time, but those moments are becoming exceedingly rare these days.

For someone who just has to have access to live TV, I feel your pain.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by robroy90
I realize this isn't a direct replacement if true Live TV is your goal, but I have been using Plex for several months now and I love it. Granted, it takes some configuration, and it isn't for ad-hoc live streaming or sports, but I have found that most of the content I want to watch I try to download in advance and then copy it to my Plex server. It is then accessible from virtually any device I own, and from anywhere I happen to be with a good connection.

I will keep my Sling for those times when I absolutely must watch the big game and I do not happen to be home at the time, but those moments are becoming exceedingly rare these days.

For someone who just has to have access to live TV, I feel your pain.
I think you could get HDHomeRun to work with Plex and get Live TV. I was researching it and debating between that and Slingbox. Here is a video of how it works with Plex and HDHomeRun I found on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ig7QmyTgKGM
Old Apr 24, 2015, 7:02 am

Programs: "I COME FROM Des Moines. Somebody had to." -- Bill Bryson
I am very happy with my Tablo TV OTA DVR. WWW.tablotv.com

I can record four channels at once or play them back on my home network, or stream recorded or live TV while on the road.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 7:50 am

Originally Posted by UAVirgin

I can record four channels at once or play them back on my home network, or stream recorded or live TV while on the road.
Wow thanks! I have been looking for something like that... kind of like a personal Aereo. The closest I have came to was HDHomeRun with Plex. Or an old Slingbox with TV tuner built in since they took the TV tuner out of the newer Slingbox. But Tablo seems so much better and so much easier to setup!

My house is too far from the towers and I get no signal at all even with the biggest outdoor antenna. My parents' house is right under the towers and could get full signal with a 3 inch indoor antenna. I just have to set this up at their house and I could watch TV at mine.

How's the HD program quality?
Old Apr 24, 2015, 8:25 am

Programs: "I COME FROM Des Moines. Somebody had to." -- Bill Bryson
The HD quality is very good. I was a long time ReplayTV DVR user so went from SD to HD and am loving it.

I've heard with a digital antenna lots of people that couldn't OTR stations can with the Tablo.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 12:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
Thanks for the feedback. I am looking for a live tv option as I use SB as a second tv in my NYC home. Trying to see if an Android emulator would allow me to run Android SB app on my MS SP2.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 8:44 am

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
You CAN setup ad blocking for the specific domains of the ad networks that sling is using. it took me a few minutes of cookie tracking to figure them all out at first, but by now someone has posted a list over on the placeshifting forum. If you like ads though on other pages that come from those sites, then you won't get them on other websites, so it's a trade off. AND you'll still see some black boxes where the ads should be.
Old May 2, 2015, 10:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC

It's a shame they won't take input from a cable box - this would be a good alternative to Slingbox.

We got the Firestick just to watch my Uverse channels in Seattle from the house in Florida...25mbs cable modem in Tacoma and 18mbs Uverse Internet in Florida and HD is unusable through the Firestick into the TV, not to mention 10seconds to move the channel selector between selections on the channel guide.

Not sure if the bottleneck is the Internet, the Firestick app or what - but a workable alternative would be nice.
Old May 3, 2015, 9:53 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium

I'm new to all this and have looked at their website. I understand how I can broadcast to my TV's, etc. while I am in my networks range I think BUT what I don't understand is how I can use this other places - like Asia????

Is the deal that programs get recorded on the hard drive and then you have to transfer the to your tablet/phone? so no real time?
Old May 3, 2015, 10:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by bocastephen
It's a shame they won't take input from a cable box - this would be a good alternative to Slingbox.

We got the Firestick just to watch my Uverse channels in Seattle from the house in Florida...25mbs cable modem in Tacoma and 18mbs Uverse Internet in Florida and HD is unusable through the Firestick into the TV, not to mention 10seconds to move the channel selector between selections on the channel guide.

Not sure if the bottleneck is the Internet, the Firestick app or what - but a workable alternative would be nice.
Just a FYI for others who might be facing the same....posted the problem on the Slingbox forum and was told I needed to enable port forwarding on my router, so that's now setup and we will see how it goes.

If the speed and reliability improve dramatically, I should be able to take the Firestick with me to Taiwan, plug it into the TV and watch my shows in real-time in HD or least high quality.
Old May 5, 2015, 11:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
You might want to see if you can pick up a Vulkano but the only thing is it doesn't stream in high resolution.

However, the streams look fine on the iPad app, though it may need higher or more consistent throughput in order have a good quality stream.

No charge for the mobile apps.
Hammad Rafique likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2020, 3:12 pm

Programs: SPEBSQSA
FYI... https://www.slingbox.com/discontinued
Effective November 9, 2020, Sling Media’s Slingbox products will be discontinued.

To find a list of the Slingbox models subject to this decision and for additional details, see the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) below.

Sling Media will continue to support existing users who remain under warranty.
Any current thoughts on a replacement. We use the Slingbox to view OTA channels on our computers in various parts of the house or when traveling.
Old Nov 11, 2020, 4:51 am

Originally Posted by AZ_MISMAN
FYI... https://www.slingbox.com/discontinued

Any current thoughts on a replacement. We use the Slingbox to view OTA channels on our computers in various parts of the house or when traveling.
Most likely a combination of a USB tuner and software like plex will do what you need but will require research.
Old Nov 11, 2020, 8:07 am

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
TV Tuner + Plex is a good option if you don't mind some investment and setting up a Plex box.

Dish Anywhere (built on Sling technology) works great via Firestick, but you have to have access to a Dish Account

The only other option I can think of is a streaming service of your choice, plus a VPN back to that location so that it thinks you are in house and doesn't geo restrict you. I run a Ubiquiti Amplifi setup for this - their teleport VPN works great.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.