Reload this Page >

"Splitter" for coax/VGA input ---> VGA output

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2015, 4:42 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz
Original Poster

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite

Does this animal exist?

I run a VGA cable from my laptop to my external monitor.

I'd like to also use that monitor for the very occasional tv show (it was cheaper with Comcast to get 50mb internet and basic cable than the internet alone. I'll never understand their pricing).

Is there a gizmo/switch that would allow me to plug it into the monitor, and then plug the VGA cord and cable tv coax coming from the cable box into the gizmo/switch so that I can then switch between the computer's feeding the monitor and the cable box's feeding the monitor?
Old Apr 21, 2015, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If your monitor has an HDMI or DVI port, you can probably use that. Though it wouldn't help you with sound...
Old Apr 21, 2015, 5:07 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz
Original Poster

Monitor has an HDMI port
Cable box only has coax and RCA outlets

And sound for tv watching seems kind of non-optional?
Old Apr 21, 2015, 6:42 pm

Search the internet (google) ... HDMI to coax adapter ... there are several options.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 7:39 pm
Original Poster

Uh, I'm going to need some help here. I'm not sure what HDMI has to do with a switch that will accept cable coax and vga inputs and then do a VGA output.

I did a lot of Googling and didn't find something that seemed to fit.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 8:11 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
if I get your description correctly you are looking for this https://sewelldirect.com/Composite-R...-Converter.asp (feed the yellow RCA output composite signal into this). Alternatively, run the coax into one of these http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers...rsr_e_1_3_last and then run a HDMI cable to the monitor and let the monitor do the switching between its inputs. You might want to look into the ports of your laptop as well and run a digital signal from there -- DVI and DisplayPort are both HDMI capable with a passive <$5 adapter (DisplayPort is complicated but trust me and go with the passive cheap adapter, it'll do). If your monitor has a single digital input (one HDMI) then get a cheap HDMI switch, Monoprice has them. Friends don't let friends use VGA (or any analogue signals) any more.

In turn what would your recommendation as to where to sleep at around the HNL airport coming in at 6am from Sydney and leaving at 5pm for the mainland ?

Ps. you can always PM me for any weird PC adapters. I've been at this for ... um ... longer than most I do not want to admit 25 years... oh boy, how do the years fly

Last edited by chx1975; Apr 21, 2015 at 8:37 pm
Old Apr 21, 2015, 8:15 pm
Original Poster

Looks absolutely perfect. Googling would never have disclosed that one!

Thank you.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 7:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chx1975
if I get your description correctly you are looking for this https://sewelldirect.com/Composite-R...-Converter.asp (feed the yellow RCA output composite signal into this).
Would these work as well (quite a bit cheaper):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TV-RCA-AV-S-...-/311262522255

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tv-Rca-Compo...-/321366580263

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PC-Laptop-MA...-/350236286009

In turn what would your recommendation as to where to sleep at around the HNL airport coming in at 6am from Sydney and leaving at 5pm for the mainland ?
There's really only a handful of options adjacent to HNL

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawai...nsolidated+HNL

My best experiences have been at the Honolulu Airport Hotel.

Whether it has day-rates, I simply don't know.

Thanks for the help!

(My 30,000th post!)
Old Apr 22, 2015, 12:14 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
All of those eBay items are the same. They should work. That thread is not unknown to me http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22373892-post91.html I hoped for better
Old Apr 22, 2015, 12:37 pm
Original Poster

Thanks!

Lot of folks have expressed a wish for a better hotel option adjacent to HNL. Unfortunately, for something even a bit more upscale you have to go downtown or Waikiki.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Again, this box will only work with the video signal. You will still need to figure out how to pass the audio signal - external speakers would be easiest if your cable box has an audio out jack.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by cblaisd
Is there a gizmo/switch that would allow me to plug it into the monitor, and then plug the VGA cord and cable tv coax coming from the cable box into the gizmo/switch so that I can then switch between the computer's feeding the monitor and the cable box's feeding the monitor?
That's one old cable box.

Yes, there are analog tuner to VGA boxes, or were a couple of years ago (and if they don't sell them new, you could find one used.) There are also broadcast digital tuner to HDMI boxes but that may be too new to work with your cable box's output (which is typically still going to be old-style NTSC analog.)

That said -- the first thing you should do is see whether you can get a digital cable box from your provider without paying more. If so, your life gets much easier, since you can just run a digital (HDMI) output straight into your monitor.

If not, you will need to judge for yourself the cost of an analog tuner box vs. whatever the cable company will charge you (which could be one-time, or could be ongoing, depends on the company) to get a digital box.

(It's also possible, depending on the nature of your cable signal and whether you're using it just for unscrambled channels, that you might be able to just buy your own box; the $35 one there claims to do QAM which is the system used by pre-digitial unscrambled cable, as well as ATSC broadcast.)
Old Apr 22, 2015, 2:28 pm
Original Poster

OK, let me clarify something. The cable box actually has both coax/RF output, and the three RCA outputs. Sorry for my confusion/denseness. Am appreciating the help and suggestions!
Old Apr 22, 2015, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by cblaisd
OK, let me clarify something. The cable box actually has both coax/RF output, and the three RCA outputs. Sorry for my confusion/denseness. Am appreciating the help and suggestions!
Three RCA probably yellow (composite video), red/white (audio)? (There'll often be text labels in addition to the color.) Assuming you have that, you definitely want to use that rather than RF -- MUCH simpler converter box, although I'd still suggest the call to the cable company.

Composite to HDMI boxes are easily found and range from super-cheap to cheap.

RCA audio to headphone style adapter (either jack or plug) cables are $3-5 bucks if you want to use a speaker bar or PC-style speakers with it.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 5:39 pm
Original Poster

Thank you. A possible issue: With the HDMI route for the cable, and the VGA for the PC, how do I switch back and forth? Pulling a plug on the back of the monitor each time is not practical.

ETA: Yes, red-white-yellow

Last edited by cblaisd; Apr 22, 2015 at 5:45 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.