Reload this Page >

How to get prepaid cell and data plan in Vancouver while still in the US

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How to get prepaid cell and data plan in Vancouver while still in the US

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2015, 12:14 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by Dubai Stu
Does it work with smartphones at a reasonable speed?
I use mine in an iphone and it works just fine. I use it just for basic internet so I don't know how it would be for something like watching a movie but if you just want to be connected, it is a bargain. Activation is super quick and easy. Amd as I said, the best part by far is that airtime is valid for 365 days (with rollover of unused airtime if you top up before expiry). So if you forsee coming back to Canada at all, you can't beat it.

One thing, you need to change your APN settings on your iphone to work with Speakout. Just use unlockit.co.nz and create an APN certificate using "speakout", choose accept and done.
Old Apr 6, 2015, 8:43 am

Programs: DL Kettle| HH Pot
Originally Posted by jediwho
Saw the link. Once you got the Sim, did you activate the plan from the US? How? Did you but the plan also from ebay?

Thanks!
I signed up online. I think I used the address of one of the Virgin Mobile stores as my address when signing up.
Old Apr 6, 2015, 8:47 pm

Free Bell and Virgin sim cards. Will only ship in CA.

www.distribu-sim.ca

Any one in CA willing to order 1 of each card for me and ship to the States?
Old Apr 7, 2015, 12:48 am

7Eleven Speakout is probably one one of the best value prepaid plans out there. Yes, it runs on Roger's network.

This site has a good summary of options: http://prepaid-data-sim-card.wikia.com/wiki/Canada
Old Apr 7, 2015, 7:06 am

Originally Posted by Jay71
7Eleven Speakout is probably one one of the best value prepaid plans out there. Yes, it runs on Roger's network.

This site has a good summary of options: http://prepaid-data-sim-card.wikia.com/wiki/Canada
Roger doesn't run a mobile network but Rogers does
Old Apr 7, 2015, 8:56 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by dnLwire
Free Bell and Virgin sim cards. Will only ship in CA.

www.distribu-sim.ca

Any one in CA willing to order 1 of each card for me and ship to the States?
If they can get it to me by Friday, I will bring it down and mail it to you on Monday. Do they do overnight delivery?
Old Apr 7, 2015, 12:25 pm

Thanks. Years ago, this prepaid had really restricted data. You could only use it for WAP browsing. There was a hack going around back then where you could send your data through a proxy to bypass the restrictions, but it wasn't a pleasant experience.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 6:19 am

For a casual Canadian address, check out:

http://www.canadianaddress.ca/

$20 is a life membership. They charge by the item recceived for scanning or forwarding and you get an email with the shipper info for free. You can always tell them to just pitch the email.

My office is within eyesight of the Canadian border in Detroit and I use their address for my Canadian loyalty cards and other casual stuff like the SIM cards mentioned here. I have Canadian friends and if I want something large ordered, I'll pull a favor, but it reduces the number of favors I need and proves handy.

Occasionally I've found some deals on the Canadian side of the border which beat US prices or come real close (e.g. the cash and carry price is just better than the best US internet price). It is still the exception, but not as rare as it was five years ago. The depressed Canadian dollar has worked to my advantange.
Old May 2, 2015, 3:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, DL PM, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by EmptyKim
Got a Virgin Mobile SIM and top-up card off eBay.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22238842-post26.html
How much did you get the prepaid data/voice plan for?
Old May 2, 2015, 10:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Jay71

I don't see anything compelling about Speakout at all. The value plans are monthly, which might be OK for local residents looking for a talk/text/data package that is cheaper than Rogers/Bell/etc, but without the reliability issues and technology restrictions of WIND.

For frequent, short term visits to Canada I use Fido's $1/day unlimited incoming and $30/1GB data (or the $5/60mb weekly top-ups for short trips) and stack it with Google Voice and Localphone so my overall cost is super cheap, albeit with the extra step of using the Localphone app for dial-backs. I can get unlimited inbound calls from anyone in the world (GV>localphone>Fido) and with the dial-back step, make outbound calls at Localphone's 1-2cpm rates without incurring Fido charges.
Old May 3, 2015, 7:05 am

Originally Posted by bocastephen
I don't see anything compelling about Speakout at all. The value plans are monthly, which might be OK for local residents looking for a talk/text/data package that is cheaper than Rogers/Bell/etc, but without the reliability issues and technology restrictions of WIND.

For frequent, short term visits to Canada I use Fido's $1/day unlimited incoming and $30/1GB data (or the $5/60mb weekly top-ups for short trips) and stack it with Google Voice and Localphone so my overall cost is super cheap, albeit with the extra step of using the Localphone app for dial-backs. I can get unlimited inbound calls from anyone in the world (GV>localphone>Fido) and with the dial-back step, make outbound calls at Localphone's 1-2cpm rates without incurring Fido charges.
ATT has a localized plan for Buffalo which is 1 cent a minute in Canada and has Canadian data buckets. I am not sure if you need to live in Buffalo or whether a Buffalo number is good enough.

One problem that I have with many of the Canadian plans for voice is that you are tied to a regional area and it is easy to go out of the region. For example, Windsor Ontario and London Ontario (two hours down the 401 in the same area code) are different markets. While there is some movement towards national plans, it seems to be going slowly. Data and text are a different story -- they are national.

I've found that at least with Telus's data plan, it is solid enough to that VOIP Over LTE is a real possibility. I am grandfathered on ATT International iPhone plan and have made tons of VOIP calls in Canada.

On data, I also have a Telus contract tablet SIM (in a hotspot). I pay $6 a month for minimum usage and it expands to $35 a month for 5 gig usage. It proves very handy in situations for data use for someone who frequently works in Canada. Bell has a similar plan.

The forthcoming Google Mobile has 256k d/u in Canada at no additional charge, $0.20 a minute voice, and free text in Canada. That is another possibility.
Old May 3, 2015, 8:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, DL PM, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Dubai Stu
The forthcoming Google Mobile has 256k d/u in Canada at no additional charge, $0.20 a minute voice, and free text in Canada. That is another possibility.
Waiting for Google Mobile to be a bit more widely available on other devices. It has some killer functionalities for a majority of the users.
Old May 3, 2015, 8:51 am

I wouldn't be surprised if an iPhone 6 is their second device. The built-in wifi calling features are similar and Google has been surprisingly good at supporting iOS. I guess they make as much money off iOS users as Android users. I'd love to see a dual SIM phone supported by Google.
Old May 3, 2015, 1:45 pm

Programs: DL Kettle| HH Pot
Originally Posted by jediwho
How much did you get the prepaid data/voice plan for?
Details here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22238842-post26.html
Old May 9, 2015, 1:15 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
Visit a 7-Eleven or Petro-Canada and grab a prepaid SIM there. Or just roam. Of all the places to do it, Canada is by far the most reasonable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.