Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Cheapest 5.5" LTE phone

Cheapest 5.5" LTE phone

Old Mar 30, 2015, 1:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Independent
Cheapest 5.5" LTE phone

I need to replace my father's cell phone. He struggles to see things even on a 5" phone, so I really want to get him something with a big screen, like a 5.5". He is by no means a power user, so doesn't need blazing performance. However, he uses the camera a lot so I would want a card slot, and he has a couple of satellite and such programs which can be bandwidth heavy, so I guess it makes sense to look for something with LTE (at least band 4). Oh, this will be on T Mobile, btw.

So, what is essentially the cheapest 5.5" out there? I have been looking at the Oppo N3, though I am bot a huge fan of the camera design.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 1:13 pm

Programs: UA, HH
Originally Posted by Cloudship
I need to replace my father's cell phone. He struggles to see things even on a 5" phone, so I really want to get him something with a big screen, like a 5.5". He is by no means a power user, so doesn't need blazing performance. However, he uses the camera a lot so I would want a card slot, and he has a couple of satellite and such programs which can be bandwidth heavy, so I guess it makes sense to look for something with LTE (at least band 4). Oh, this will be on T Mobile, btw.

So, what is essentially the cheapest 5.5" out there? I have been looking at the Oppo N3, though I am bot a huge fan of the camera design.
Got the One Plus 1 few weeks ago, not a bad phone. Does not have a card slot, though. At the same time, for the last 2 years I back up my phone shots to dropbox - so photos get on the computer without me even taking the card out - as soon as I connect to WiFi.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 1:50 pm

Programs: Dirt
A quick search for LTE band 4, card slot, screen size and low price turned up these results:
Asus Zenfone 2
Nokia Lumia 1320 (Windows phone)
BLU Studio 6.0 LTE (6 inch)
ZTE Zmax (5.7 inch)

Seems like the Zenfone 2 has the best camera of the bunch. BLU's camera is decent.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 2:32 pm
Original Poster

I use that site for specs. But I had no luck in finding any of those other than the Blu Studio. I don't think they are US available models.

Last edited by Cloudship; Mar 30, 2015 at 2:34 pm Reason: typos
Old Mar 30, 2015, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K

Is crowding on the screen or font size? The only reason I'm asking is the font doesn't always increase with a bigger screen. I'm looking at my GS4 now next to a Moto G and the font is the same. However, the Samsung lets me use a much larger font.

Here's list of phones with a 5.4'' display and larger that have been sold by T-Mobile. http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/fin...&dpr=r&dpv=5.4

Here's the full list of currently available phones: http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/fin...&dpr=r&dpv=5.4
Old Mar 30, 2015, 2:54 pm

Programs: Dirt
I use that site for specs. But I had no luck in finding any of those other than the Blu Studio. I don't think they are US available models.
T-Mobile carries the ZTE Zmax for about $250.

Zenfone 2 hasn't came to the US yet. Its primary market is Asia and was just launched in Europe today.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 6:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WIRunner
Is crowding on the screen or font size? The only reason I'm asking is the font doesn't always increase with a bigger screen. I'm looking at my GS4 now next to a Moto G and the font is the same. However, the Samsung lets me use a much larger font.

Here's list of phones with a 5.4'' display and larger that have been sold by T-Mobile. http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/fin...&dpr=r&dpv=5.4

Here's the full list of currently available phones: http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/fin...&dpr=r&dpv=5.4
I'll be throwing Nova Launcher on there anyways.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 2:29 pm

Programs: A3 *G, BA Silver
I've got the 64Gn OnePlus One and am very happy with the phone and the performance. There's plenty you can do to tweak the camera experience and you can even save in RAW format.

With that much memory, there's little to be gained with a card, unless you take a lot of photo's without the opportunity to offload to the PC. There is also the autosync with Google to offload anyway, especially if you can do this over wifi.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by MAN Pax
I've got the 64Gn OnePlus One and am very happy with the phone and the performance. There's plenty you can do to tweak the camera experience and you can even save in RAW format.

With that much memory, there's little to be gained with a card, unless you take a lot of photo's without the opportunity to offload to the PC. There is also the autosync with Google to offload anyway, especially if you can do this over wifi.
The OPO lacks bands 2, 12. Band 2 is where T-Mobile has been doing their rapid deploy of LTE, and 12 is where they're doing their penetration improvements. Its tough to say it is a good alternative when there's a few somewhat important frequency sets missing.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 4:14 pm
Original Poster

Not to mention when it is $350. I was looking for something pretty cheap. I think the Oppo might be it.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Sony Xperia Z Ultra

I believe it was $20 cheaper on the same website last week.

Edited it add: Oops, I thought it was a 5.5", it's actually a 6.4" phablet.
Old Apr 2, 2015, 10:59 am

Programs: AS MVP, Hyatt Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry, Hertz 5*
You can probably get the Samsung S5 or iPhone 5 (in all its incarnations) for $300-400ish now that new "Gen 6" models are out. Also, the HTC One (being replaced soon by the M9) is a good option for 5" LTE phone.

Good luck!

-AD
Old Apr 2, 2015, 9:27 pm
DNA

Programs: BAEC
If you think 5" might work, then Google Nexus 5 or Blackberry Z30 would be solid inexpensive options. Z30 has been on sale a few times recently for ~$250CAD.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Not sure if OP is still looking, but the ZTE ZMax has been removed from T-Mobile until further notice.

http://www.tmonews.com/2015/04/t-mob...-after-launch/
Old Apr 16, 2015, 11:16 am
Original Poster

I saw that.

In the end we gave up on LTE, and ordered the Blu Studio 6.0HD. Just got it, so I will let you know how it is.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.