Can I play my Xbox on Emirates flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can I play my Xbox on Emirates flight?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2015, 3:10 am
Original Poster

Smile Can I play my Xbox on Emirates flight?

Hello, After flying with the amazing Emirates, I noticed they had charging sockets for laptops, can I bring my Xbox and small flat monitor and play in flight? I'll be travelling with a buddy, long haul.

Thanks Jack.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
The X-Box will draw too much for an airline seat power plug, and that is before factoring in the need for the monitor. Many seats barely cope with charging a Macbook Pro with a 60 watt charger, the Xbox One uses a 112 watt supply.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 11:44 am

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, National Exec
You might have more success with an emulator on your laptop combined with some Bluetooth controllers.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
So long as your parents let you, I am sure you will be fine.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 1:03 pm

Programs: TK*G
If you're flying Y, good luck having enough space to set up a monitor comfortably. I struggle to even use a 15" Macbook in Y.
Old Apr 3, 2015, 5:22 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
The Xbox power supply draws far too much current to be usable from the power supply in an airline seat, sadly. OP, this is not a viable option for entertainment onboard. I'd recommend looking into a Nintendo 3DS for portable gaming fun - there are plenty of great games on that platform and travel is the perfect excuse to enjoy them.

Additionally, Xbox power supplies are specific to one country's voltage, and most onboard power is 110VAC. Judging by the OP's username, they likely have a Thai 220VAC power supply that would fail in spectacular fashion onboard.

Source: have previously plugged US Xbox power brick into Chinese mains supply. Toasty. Oops.
Old Apr 4, 2015, 1:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by BenA
The Xbox power supply draws far too much current to be usable from the power supply in an airline seat, sadly. OP, this is not a viable option for entertainment onboard. I'd recommend looking into a Nintendo 3DS for portable gaming fun - there are plenty of great games on that platform and travel is the perfect excuse to enjoy them.

Additionally, Xbox power supplies are specific to one country's voltage, and most onboard power is 110VAC. Judging by the OP's username, they likely have a Thai 220VAC power supply that would fail in spectacular fashion onboard.

Source: have previously plugged US Xbox power brick into Chinese mains supply. Toasty. Oops.
If it was the other way around it would.
Old Apr 6, 2015, 12:33 am
Suspended

I've wondered about this before too. Two good questions. Can you send video to the video screen and can you power a console. The first I think is a no, but an interesting question. The second is a no. Not enough wattage. A Windows laptop with a controller hooked up via bluetooth is probably your best option.

As for someone's ask your parent answer, I'm pretty sure there will be grandparents in the back on the terribly long flight to dubai playing plenty of games.
Old Apr 6, 2015, 1:51 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
If it was the other way around it would.
fair - 110V equipment connected to a 220V supply usually fails spectacularly, while 220V equipment connected to a 110V supply usually simply doesn't work.

But I don't have knowledge of the circuitry used inside the Xbox power supply, other than knowing it's capable of supplying fairly high current to the console - the potential for failure is always there when operating equipment out of spec. While the spectacularness of the failure may be up for debate, it's certain it won't work - and onboard an aircraft isn't the right place to experiment to find out how much magic smoke gets let out of the supply
Old Apr 8, 2015, 10:16 am

Is the Xbox PS really not multivoltage?
Old Apr 8, 2015, 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by fropones
Is the Xbox PS really not multivoltage?
It really isn't. Neither the 360 nor the Xbox One is multivoltage, bizarrely.
Old Apr 9, 2015, 9:06 pm

Programs: United 1K, AC 50K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Platinum
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
So long as your parents let you, I am sure you will be fine.
Emirates has a special "basement" class for X-Box playing.
Old Apr 9, 2015, 11:43 pm

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Please note that OP is getting the same answer (no, this won't work) on the Emirates thread where he cross-posted.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.