TMO message today unlimited 4G LTE data

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2015, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
TMO message today unlimited 4G LTE data

Just got this message on my phone:

Thanks for being a loyal customer! Your account is being upgraded to Unlimited 4G LTE data thru 2015, no extra cost!! If you do not want Unlimited data, opt out by 3/17.

Why would one want to opt out? UPDATE: the reason to opt out is that you lose your stash.

The click through to details says that the current plan will be available for tethering and sounds like there's no strings, as it states that the current allotments will apply after 12/31/15.

Targetted?

Here's a posting about it - definitely selected customers:

http://www.tmonews.com/2015/03/selec...imited-4g-lte/

Last edited by milepig; Mar 13, 2015 at 12:33 pm
Old Mar 13, 2015, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
What kind of plan are you on? And how much data do you average per month?

While we use only 25-35% of our allotted data, we're also on a very inexpensive promotional family plan that also expires at the end of the year.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pseudoswede
What kind of plan are you on? And how much data do you average per month?

While we use only 25-35% of our allotted data, we're also on a very inexpensive promotional family plan that also expires at the end of the year.
I have 5GB and Mrs. Milepig has 4GB and neither of us uses anywhere near all of that since we're almost always on the WIFI at home and work. We use more when we're travelling, and with a big trip coming up I could burn through a fair amount in April. Even so, I can't see either of us ever dipping into our data stash, so this is really sort of TMO giving us something we'll never need.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by milepig
this is really sort of TMO giving us something we'll never need.
Which is the perfect kind of upgrade for a company to give its selected clients.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pilotalan
Which is the perfect kind of upgrade for a company to give its selected clients.
Sort of like United giving me system-wide upgrades without opening up any seats.
Old Mar 14, 2015, 3:29 am

Nothing for me, but I'm on the el-cheapo $30 5G/unlimited plan.
Old Mar 15, 2015, 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by milepig
I have 5GB and Mrs. Milepig has 4GB and neither of us uses anywhere near all of that since we're almost always on the WIFI at home and work.
Since you have 2 lines have you thought about their 2 lines/$100/unlimited data plan? I've been trying to get my bf to change carriers so we can do that.
Old Mar 15, 2015, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wcj1
Since you have 2 lines have you thought about their 2 lines/$100/unlimited data plan? I've been trying to get my bf to change carriers so we can do that.
That's just for the data, right? We pay like $60 total for data and never burn through the monthly allotment.
Old Mar 15, 2015, 7:59 pm

The $100 is the total cost for 2 lines, including unlimited minutes, unlimited texts, unlimited data.

The fine print says it is only good through the end of the year, but there have been reports that the plan is to keep everyone on the plan.
http://www.tmonews.com/2014/12/more-...ly-plan-promo/
Old Mar 18, 2015, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Their CEO announced today that you get to keep your promo. (Which is awesome, since I've got the $50 unlimited everything referral promo from last year!)

http://www.engadget.com/2015/03/18/t...om-uncontract/
Old Mar 18, 2015, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The caveat...

...if you're clinging to one of T-Mobile's unlimited data plans. While huge rivals like AT&T and Verizon have treated customers with grandfathered unlimited plans like second-class citizens by throttling speeds after thresholds are hit and barring them from tethering, Legere is enacting a sort of data détente that means he won't change the terms of the game for at least two years.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pseudoswede
The caveat...

...if you're clinging to one of T-Mobile's unlimited data plans. While huge rivals like AT&T and Verizon have treated customers with grandfathered unlimited plans like second-class citizens by throttling speeds after thresholds are hit and barring them from tethering, Legere is enacting a sort of data détente that means he won't change the terms of the game for at least two years.
Like voice, data prices will continue to decline, even as usage increases. Technology becomes cheaper over time, no matter what at&t or verizon claim.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WIRunner
Like voice, data prices will continue to decline, even as usage increases. Technology becomes cheaper over time, no matter what at&t or verizon claim.
Who knows what Net Neutrality may bring. Either way, the consumer is bound to lose.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.