Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chromebook Pixel (2015)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2015, 7:29 pm

Programs: CO Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by ScottC
I see the Pixel as a playground for Google, not an actual product.
Does Google use it internally? If so this is just them letting us buy their employee laptops.

Or do they use Macs?
Old Mar 15, 2015, 12:32 pm

Funny enough, I had an OG Pixel ordered in January and decided to cancel the order for no real reason. So glad I did that.

Jumped on the i5/32/8gb version. Almost went with the LS, but with 8gb of ram in my Windows desktop using Chrome as my primary browser, I've never had an issue. I figure 8gb of ram for just running Chrome is more than enough. I do share Scott's views on not owning the best version of the gear I own. However, the $300+tax will go nicely towards a dinner next week in Hawaii for the wife and I.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Gold, DL DIrt Medallion
Originally Posted by JerMah
Funny enough, I had an OG Pixel ordered in January and decided to cancel the order for no real reason. So glad I did that.

Jumped on the i5/32/8gb version. Almost went with the LS, but with 8gb of ram in my Windows desktop using Chrome as my primary browser, I've never had an issue. I figure 8gb of ram for just running Chrome is more than enough. I do share Scott's views on not owning the best version of the gear I own. However, the $300+tax will go nicely towards a dinner next week in Hawaii for the wife and I.
I'm sure the i5/32/8 version will do perform admirably, but I was lured in with the "Ludicrous Speed" designation.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 8:17 am

64GB max disk storage seems pretty paltry*. Does it use a standard form-factor SSD, i.e. one that can be upgraded?

* It just doesn't seem like it was that long ago that this statement would have sounded completely ridiculous . . .
Old Mar 16, 2015, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dodge DeBoulet
64GB max disk storage seems pretty paltry*. Does it use a standard form-factor SSD, i.e. one that can be upgraded?

* It just doesn't seem like it was that long ago that this statement would have sounded completely ridiculous . . .
It's welded to the board, so it's difficult if not impossible to replace. There is a slot for an SD card, which makes it trivial to add as much as 512 GB (though extremely expensive for anything over 128 GB).

Chrome OS is built around the cloud, and most everything is done online. As such, there isn't a need for much on-board storage. If you either don't trust the cloud or cannot operate within it reliably, then Chromebooks are not likely a good choice.

I was skeptical until I used a CR48 for a while (the first official Chromebook, distributed for free by Google as a beta testing device) and I have been using a 2012 model Samsung Series 3 Chromebook with just 16 GB on-board storage as my primary travel laptop for 2+ years. I keep an SD card loaded with movies for air travel, but otherwise 16GB has been far more than enough storage for my usage of the device.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 8:26 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by lensman
Does Google use it internally?
Google has positioned this as a device for developers. The CPU, RAM, display and ports exceed what is needed today to use Chrome OS, but the idea is that the machine will not become obsolete in a year or two, even for development purposes.

Originally Posted by Dodge DeBoulet
64GB max disk storage seems pretty paltry
There is also an SD card slot.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

With Crouton, it's simple to install a full Linux OS that can even run within a Chrome tab. These specs will make those instances run as smoothly as a purely native installation.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by SRQ Guy
It's welded to the board, so it's difficult if not impossible to replace. There is a slot for an SD card, which makes it trivial to add as much as 512 GB (though extremely expensive for anything over 128 GB).
Originally Posted by mia
There is also an SD card slot.
Thanks to both of you. Unfortunately, I don't believe SD cards are yet in the same league speed-wise as SSDs. I don't know if that's an issue of the controller or the media, though. The performance of add-on storage would have a significant impact on the usability of the device.

I'm looking for a replacement for my Lenovo T420, which currently has 16GB of RAM, an i5-2520M @ 2.5GHz and 730GB of SSD (1 480GB in the usual place and 1 250GB in the UltraBay). I'd prefer something that is expandable beyond 16GB of RAM since I run multiple virtual environments, but weight/portability is also a consideration.

I realize this is a Chromebook, but was wondering if it might be re-purposeable if its other specs met my requirements. My use cases preclude cloud-based alternatives, but local storage notwithstanding this would be a decent upgrade if it also ran something other than ChromeOS.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

SD cards are much slower than internal SSD's, there's no doubt about that. That said, the difference would be effectively unnoticeable for media retrieval.

You can install Linux on the Pixel, and people are working on getting Windows 10 to work but of course there are no guarantees on that yet.

In any event, if you aren't primarily working in the cloud I'd venture to say it's not the best choice for you.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by SRQ Guy
SD cards are much slower than internal SSD's, there's no doubt about that. That said, the difference would be effectively unnoticeable for media retrieval.
Not media retrieval in my case. Virtual Machine images and active storage for transient data, primarily.

You can install Linux on the Pixel, and people are working on getting Windows 10 to work but of course there are no guarantees on that yet.

In any event, if you aren't primarily working in the cloud I'd venture to say it's not the best choice for you.
Agreed. Thanks.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm hoping a teardown of the new Pixel will show replaceable mSATA or something similar.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ScottC
I'm hoping a teardown of the new Pixel will show replaceable mSATA or something similar.
I saw a teardown on reddit that showed a soldered-on SSD. I'll try to find the link.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Here's a link to a photo of the Pixel's internals. The SSD is soldered on.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 3:26 pm

Mine will be here tomorrow. I have a feeling I'll be leaving work early.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 6:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Mine came in yesterday. I played with it for a bit lats night, and it really is impressive. It has the best screen of any computer I've ever used and it absolutely flies. I got ti all set up and synced, but didn't have a ton of time to use it. I'll try to do some more today, but so far I'm very happy with it.

I have left it on Stable for now, but will move to Dev-mode and install Crouton and Ubuntu soon when I have some time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.