I like the thing so far.

Old Apr 27, 2015, 11:49 pm

i think ur right! mac book is one gadget i bring everytime i travel

Last edited by azooki; Apr 29, 2015 at 12:34 am
Old Apr 28, 2015, 6:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL GM, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by JClishe
That's not optimal when you're getting ready to plug your laptop into the podium and your partner says "Oh I updated my slides and put them on this thumb drive for you."
What's also interesting is that the security folk at my employer (fortune 500 co) have forbidden use of usb drives. Policy has been pushed down to make them not work at the AV/OS level on our Windows PC's. This was done due to risk of information leaking out of the enterprise and introduction of viruses....

Last edited by skofarrell; Apr 28, 2015 at 7:05 am
Old Apr 28, 2015, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by skofarrell
What's also interesting is that the security folk at my employer (fortune 500 co) have forbidden use of usb drives. Policy has been pushed down to make them not work at the AV/OS level on our Windows PC's. This was done due to risk of information leaking out of the enterprise and introduction of viruses....
That would make my job as a software engineer incredibly difficult if my employer ever implemented that. Speaking of difficult, there was a time immediately after we moved from XP to 7 where they were trying to remove local admin rights from everyone. That really didn't work well.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tmiw
That would make my job as a software engineer incredibly difficult if my employer ever implemented that. Speaking of difficult, there was a time immediately after we moved from XP to 7 where they were trying to remove local admin rights from everyone. That really didn't work well.
We all have admin rights, external USB's are blocked unless you have a filed exception in place to the policy.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 9:27 am

Programs: *G
many of my clients are doing the same
Old Apr 28, 2015, 10:18 am

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Originally Posted by deniah
many of my clients are doing the same
Our security team has told us about the same exploit. Also---senior management is no longer allowed to use MacBooks without optical drives due to another exploit.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer
Our security team has told us about the same exploit. Also---senior management is no longer allowed to use MacBooks without optical drives due to another exploit.
That limits them to what? A four year old MBP 15, or a non retina 13? Is there something that the average user should be worried about?
Old Apr 28, 2015, 11:46 am

Programs: LH HON
Don't get their marketing. It's thinner than an Air with higher resolution but based on 12 inch. Huh?
Old Apr 28, 2015, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WIRunner
That limits them to what? A four year old MBP 15, or a non retina 13? Is there something that the average user should be worried about?
I believe they are referring to the "Thunderstrike" Thunderbolt port exploit that was fixed in 10.10.2. No public instances of Thunderstrike attacks have been reported.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you buy this macbook and you're in the powerpoint bidness, you'll buy the vga dongle (solving the power problem) and the USB-C to USB dongle too.

Or you'll use box.com, icloud, dropbox, email, air drop, etc.
T'is a really twisted world when the purchase of a Digital AV dongle ($79) another video dongle (for VGA at another $79) and a $29 Ethernet adapter are considered normal to make a computer reliable for a business user.

Style over substance as always with Apple.

Doesn't change that this is a gorgeous machine - but claiming a single USB port HAD to be there because of the space, is the usual Apple user trying to justify the lack of a very normal feature. Reminds me of all the iPhone users in 2007 claiming 3G really wasn't that important anyway, while the rest of us were all enjoying 3G.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I believe they are referring to the "Thunderstrike" Thunderbolt port exploit that was fixed in 10.10.2. No public instances of Thunderstrike attacks have been reported.
So, like a Windows machine, keep your system updated, don't plug in any unknown USB drives, don't install random software, and don't just click "next" or okay for every pop-up.

Makes sense.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ScottC
T'is a really twisted world when the purchase of a Digital AV dongle ($79) another video dongle (for VGA at another $79) and a $29 Ethernet adapter are considered normal to make a computer reliable for a business user.

Style over substance as always with Apple.
Not seeing the big deal here...if you're a mac shop at work you likely have AppleTV's on your conference room projectors, so you don't need the dongle. If your company is buying Macs, the extra $79 for VGA (or HDMI, who needs both??) is immaterial, and in reality is already a sunk cost as you'd a bought the thunderbolt one anyway. If you're using them at school or at home, you're probably not spending a lot of time projecting powerpoints, so who needs a dongle?

The only real difference here is spending the extra $19 on the USBC to USB adapter, which most people will likely do for now.

...and if you buy a Surface, you're shelling out for the same Dongles..

This reminds me of the old Windows vs OS/2 days when people compared formatting floppies under the two environments to show OS'2's superior multitasking.

This device will be perfect for me when I travel, and will in reality will likely replace my iPad. Its already caused me to drop about 3lbs from by bag counting the MBP 13" and the power supply that's been left behind.

We'll see how it goes.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 2:31 pm

I've never priced cables for a Surface, but I'll bet they're cheaper than any Apple cables.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not seeing the big deal here...if you're a mac shop at work you likely have AppleTV's on your conference room projectors, so you don't need the dongle. If your company is buying Macs, the extra $79 for VGA (or HDMI, who needs both??) is immaterial, and in reality is already a sunk cost as you'd a bought the thunderbolt one anyway. If you're using them at school or at home, you're probably not spending a lot of time projecting powerpoints, so who needs a dongle?

The only real difference here is spending the extra $19 on the USBC to USB adapter, which most people will likely do for now.

This reminds me of the old Windows vs OS/2 days when people compared formatting floppies under the two environments to show OS'2's superior multitasking.

This device will be perfect for me when I travel, and will in reality will likely replace my iPad. Its already caused me to drop about 3lbs from by bag counting the MBP 13" and the power supply that's been left behind.

We'll see how it goes.
Projecting powerpoints? No. Connecting my computer to the TV to share family photos, videos, mirror my screen, tradeshow powerpoint display... yes. Powerusers and "mainstream" users use their devices differently. I would even suggest that a mainstream user may be more likely to notice the missing HDMI port than a power user.

When a $200 Chromebook has a better selection of ports than a Macbook, there's something wrong with that.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.