Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The new 12inch Macbook

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2015, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by deniah

Apple charging combo is 80$ with detachable cable. Google charger is 60$ with permanent cable, so you lose the modularity.
That is incorrect. The Pixel charger still has a removable cable, just like it did on the original Pixel.

https://store.google.com/product/uni..._c_60w_charger
Old Mar 12, 2015, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Their multi-port is 79$. To get same HDMI+USB-A functionality you'd need 40+13$ from Google and have to carry 2 cables, and you lose the extra usb-C slot (offset with that from the laptop)
Why on earth would you compare like that? The new Pixel has USB-C AND two USB-A ports. Even though they sell it, I don't ever see anyone needing more than those two ports. On the new Macbook you absolutely need the adapter, otherwise you don't have ANY USB-A's.

Bottom line, Apple still messed up by removing all the ports. Form over function as usual.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by weekilter
YGWYPF

You could also get a Netbook and that would cost less too. You could get a cheap Lenovo crĺpped up with bloatware that compromises your security too.
You do know that they removed that within a day don't you?

My recently purchased 15" MBP came with GarageBand, Chess, iMovie, iPhoto and a host of other crap I consider bloatware, so don't pretend like Apple doesn't play this game too.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 9:47 am

So, as the usb-c port is only USB 3.1 Gen1, that seemingly means that there isn't enough bandwidth to drive an external 4k monitor at 60HZ even though the HD5300 graphics chip is powerful enough.

I'm sure that isn't a big deal for most buyers but is a potential factor for me.

The Chromebook Pixel also only has Gen1 ports so I presume there is a lack of Gen2 silicon available in enough quantity yet.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by ScottC
You do know that they removed that within a day don't you?

My recently purchased 15" MBP came with GarageBand, Chess, iMovie, iPhoto and a host of other crap I consider bloatware, so don't pretend like Apple doesn't play this game too.
I went through the process of removing all of the Apple productivity software so I could install Office on my MBP, then had to dump all of the editing software to install Adobe. After all of that it took about as long as running the software updates and logging into Office on the Samsung we got at the sametime.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 10:03 am

Programs: *G
Why on earth would you compare like that? The new Pixel has USB-C AND two USB-A ports.
Good question. Because the 79$ adapter you mentioned provides functionality that the 12$ Google one does not.

Here's another question, which of the 3 Chromebook USB ports do you plug DVI cable in to support external display?
Old Mar 12, 2015, 10:07 am

That is incorrect. The Pixel charger still has a removable cable, just like it did on the original Pixel.

https://store.google.com/product/uni..._c_60w_charger
Incorrect reference.

The part that one could potentially use to plug into other devices. Not the one that runs to the wall

Old Mar 12, 2015, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Good question. Because the 79$ adapter you mentioned provides functionality that the 12$ Google one does not.

Here's another question, which of the 3 Chromebook USB ports do you plug DVI cable in to support external display?
The same one as on the Macbook - a USB C port. But when I plug my monitor in, I can still power the device without a dongle, plug in a USB flash drive and use another device in the same port. All for $40. The same solution on the Macbook required an $80 dongle, and a USB hub.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by JClishe
The Dell is .0.08" thicker (in other words, not noticeable in real world usage) and roughly .75 lbs heavier (barely noticeable). IMO that's a no brainier trade off for a screen that's an inch larger with higher resolution.
0.08 at the hinge to 0.19 at lip. or 2x as thick, at the lip.

agreed, that scale of dimension is inconsequential in real life.

for me its still the native OS and trackpad implementation that's still the sticking point.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is hilarious if you haven't seen it yet.

New Macbook parody video cuts through Apple’s reality distortion field
Apple’s reveal of the new, thinnest and lightest ever MacBook earlier this week was met with the usual “ooohs and aaahs” by the media and fans of Apple products. But it also managed to raise a few eyebrows, and quietly a lot of people must be thinking “$1,299 for that?”
Old Mar 12, 2015, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WIRunner
That is the funniest video I've seen all week.

I thought they were joking about the webcam, but it is right there on the Apple page:

Camera
480p FaceTime camera
Old Mar 12, 2015, 12:53 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by WIRunner
And that $79 dongle only gives you one (!) usb port, a video out port, and another USB-C port... to attach another $79 adaptor or a USB hub. Start adding in all these peripherals and it suddenly becomes not so cheap. I'd consider an Air over the MacBook. I hate that my Pro has only two USB, three to four is the appropriate amount.
Wrong, wrong, wrong! The other USB-C port is charging only.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chx1975
Wrong, wrong, wrong! The other USB-C port is charging only.
No need to get cranky about it.

So from what I am understanding, and there's still a bit of confusion about this, is that one can attach one dongle that will add 1 each of USB-C port, video out (pick a flavour), and USB-A. The newly added USB-C port I can now use for only charging, and cannot daisychain any additional USB-C accessories on it.

That makes it seem like an even bigger waste than it was before.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 1:46 pm

I am a road warrior who routinely goes to a venue, makes a day-long presentation or training session, then flies home.

So - can I charge it while hooking it up to an LCD projector? From what I'm seeing - I need a dongle that connects USB-C to VGA or HDMI out. (Preferably VGA - most LCD projectors at client sites all over the globe are old school.)

But wait - I also want to charge it because I would like a full battery before getting on the flight.

So now I need - USB-C to AC power. USB-C to Mini Display Port. Mini Display Port to VGA.

This is starting to turn into a giant cluster dongle...
Old Mar 12, 2015, 3:06 pm

Programs: AA LT Platinum, WN CP, National EE, Hertz PC, Avis PC, Hilton Diamond, Sheraton Gold
Originally Posted by Boogie711
So now I need - USB-C to AC power. USB-C to Mini Display Port. Mini Display Port to VGA.

This is starting to turn into a giant cluster dongle...
Why Mini Display Port? I do a similar role (mostly done with the iPad now). But with the Macbook, you'd carry the dongle and the power supply. The power supply will plug into the dongle, which in turn plugs into the USB-C port. That same dongle will also connect to the vga cable to the projector.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.