Reload this Page >

The new 12inch Macbook

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The new 12inch Macbook

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2015, 3:30 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
Just been reading MacRumor's take on USB-C. It's big. Does this mean Thunderbolt is long-term dead?

I have a three year old MacBook Air, and still don't have a single Thunderbolt peripheral, btw.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 7:00 pm

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by ou81two
Well if you do software development, why would you even look at a 12" laptop?
Most developers use monitors with their laptops. I'm not aware of any 30" laptops. It is still nice to have a small laptop to travel with, but in this case, it doesn't have the power for dev apps.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 8:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Internaut
Just been reading MacRumor's take on USB-C. It's big. Does this mean Thunderbolt is long-term dead?

I have a three year old MacBook Air, and still don't have a single Thunderbolt peripheral, btw.
Probably. I kinda figured Thunderbolt was going to die when only the expensive accessories had it.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by tmiw
Probably. I kinda figured Thunderbolt was going to die when only the expensive accessories had it.
Apple dropped the ball on not making a Thunderbolt to Lightning port cable. I'd use it to transfer movies, songs, etc quickly from my mac to my iPad or iPhone.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 10:39 pm

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
I think it's odd there's only one USB-C port on the new MacBook. Eventually USB-C hubs will be readily available but for now I think that Apple should have at least built another USB-C and another USB-A into the dongle.

Other than that, based on specs alone the new MacBook looks interesting to me.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 3:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The really innovative product would have been a touchscreen like the iPad over iOS with a keyboard. Maybe next year.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 6:01 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
Originally Posted by richard
The really innovative product would have been a touchscreen like the iPad over iOS with a keyboard. Maybe next year.
They're quite a long way from an OSX GUI where touch would make sense*. In this respect, I'm quite impressed with what Microsoft hasn't quite achieved yet .

* And I'm sure I've read somewhere that the version of the Mach kernal, used in iOS, is quite a significant fork to the one used in OSX, so I don't see any prospect of an iOS/OSX hybrid any-time soon.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 2:24 pm

Programs: AC*SE, AC*MM, SPG Gold, FPC Plat, HHonors Diamond, PC Plat Elite, R&C Club 5C, Hyatt GP
Originally Posted by HDQDD
Most developers use monitors with their laptops.
Exactly. And it seems that the adaptor only supports display mirroring, not dual display.

My MacBook Pro is connected to 2 external hard drives, an external display, speakers and a wired keyboard. I'd have a wired mouse too if Apple made one and there was a port to plug it in to. If this trend of ditching ports continues, I might seriously have to consider ditching Apple.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 3:01 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Needs more ports. (Now I am lusting after that $17k Apple watch)
Old Mar 11, 2015, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by manneca
Needs more ports. (Now I am lusting after that $17k Apple watch)
I want the black stainless one with the black link band, but judging by Apple's previous history with first-gen products it might be safer to get the aluminum one and wait for the second/third gen.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 3:13 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by HDQDD
Most developers use monitors with their laptops. I'm not aware of any 30" laptops. It is still nice to have a small laptop to travel with, but in this case, it doesn't have the power for dev apps.
Yes and if you need a powerful laptop, you wouldn't be looking at a 12" model and as such your comment isn't really applicable to the discussion. You're talking about doing Pro level work. Hmm, if only Apple HAD a PRO line of laptop. Oh wait, they do.

What you're whining about is sort of like complaining that Chevy makes a Cruze when you need a dualie with 5000lb towing capacity. It's two different use cases.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 3:15 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by richard
HuH??? I'd break your fingers if you laid one on my retina display. Why would I want to spend all day cleaning my laptop screen. I never sit back and think wow, I really wish I could press things on my laptop screen. It's entirely not ergonomically corrent to have to move your hands around that much to get things done. Notice Microsoft's lack of market success with this concept? It's really not that innovative. It wouldn't solve anything.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 3:23 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by antirealist
Exactly. And it seems that the adaptor only supports display mirroring, not dual display.

My MacBook Pro is connected to 2 external hard drives, an external display, speakers and a wired keyboard. I'd have a wired mouse too if Apple made one and there was a port to plug it in to. If this trend of ditching ports continues, I might seriously have to consider ditching Apple.
From Macworld...

Its spec sheet says that the MacBook comes with “native DisplayPort 1.2 output,” which will support 4K (3840x2160 pixels in dual monitor or mirroring modes),

Why would you give up a Pro model for a regular Macbook?
https://cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu....10GHz&id=2382

I have to say that I liked my magnetic power connector and how it has saved my Mac from nearby klutzes.
I'm with you there. I'm guessing it had to go to support this form factor.

FYI sorry for the dupe posts. The site wouldn't let me delete them.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 3:33 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by ou81two
It's entirely not ergonomically corrent to have to move your hands around that much to get things done. Notice Microsoft's lack of market success with this concept? It's really not that innovative. It wouldn't solve anything.
Spoken exactly like someone that hasn't spent real-world time with a touchscreen laptop.

Literally yesterday I was on a plane with my Dell XPS 13 (the new bezel-less display version) on my lap and the woman next to me had a 13" Macbook Air on her lap. I was reading email in Outlook 2013 with touch mode turned on and was comfortably grabbing both sides of the screen and navigating through my inbox with my thumbs. Meanwhile, the woman next to me had her arms flailed out to the sides like chicken wings so she could maneuver the trackpad.

After awhile she noticed how much more obviously comfortable my touchscreen laptop experience was then her MBA experience and she asked me how I liked it and we had a very nice conversation.

I also have a 2014 15" rMBP and I find myself touching the screen all.the.time. and am frustrated when nothing happens.

But, since you say touchscreens don't solve anything, clearly myself and my seat mate were obviously incorrect.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Google introduced a new Pixel Chromebook today (and it did USB-C right with a port on each side) and with it, a whole bunch of inexpensive USB-C accessories... it really shows how out of touch Apple is.

$12.99 USB-C to USB-A - https://store.google.com/product/usb...dard_a_adapter

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.