The new 12inch Macbook

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The new 12inch Macbook

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2015, 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by JClishe
This is not accurate. I've created Windows partitions with BootCamp and the OS X partition was untouched / unaffected.
Interesting, and my apologies.

For my configuration, it nuked the OSX tweaks that I originally made and over-wrote them back to scratch. It didn't bother me as I only had the computer for a day and was expecting that behavior.

BJ
Old Jun 22, 2015, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by boltjames
It's awesome, you'll love it.

There are some quirks you'll need to know, so here goes:

1. It only has one port for peripherals and its the new USB-C protocol. You must purchase one of the Apple dongles in order to use HDMI, standard USB, etc.

BJ
I have a Chromebook Pixel 2015, so I already have an assortment of dongles. The other things don't sound like dealbreakers, so I think I need to go shopping
Old Jun 22, 2015, 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by ScottC
I have a Chromebook Pixel 2015, so I already have an assortment of dongles. The other things don't sound like dealbreakers, so I think I need to go shopping
Enjoy!

Apple has a generous return policy, so give it a shot and if you don't like it don't sweat it. There's a 3 in 1 Apple adapter that has HDMI/USB/USB-C and that's the one to get from the git-go.

Forgetting for a moment than I'm in a travel forum (duh), another benefit of the RMB is that you don't need to remove it from your backpack when going through airport security, the scanner sees it as if it was an iPad.

BJ
Old Jun 23, 2015, 8:15 pm

Programs: SQ KF Gold, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat
Enjoy!

Apple has a generous return policy, so give it a shot and if you don't like it don't sweat it. There's a 3 in 1 Apple adapter that has HDMI/USB/USB-C and that's the one to get from the git-go.

Forgetting for a moment than I'm in a travel forum (duh), another benefit of the RMB is that you don't need to remove it from your backpack when going through airport security, the scanner sees it as if it was an iPad.

BJ
How's that work? Just because its tiny?
Old Jun 23, 2015, 9:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by elleana
Presumably also the lack of the telltale signs of a laptop as they appear on X-ray -- the moving parts like fans, and rotational hard drive if it has one, show up very distinctly.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 9:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
PreCheck/Global Entry seems like a much less expensive investment to be able to not remove your laptop from your bag though. On the other hand, the rMB is much lighter than some of the other options on the market. I have definitely been tempted every time I walk into the Apple Store.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 3:05 am

Programs: *G
Unfortunately the xray rules seem to be quite ad hoc based on airport and especially security staff.

Many places still require "all laptops, ipads, tablets out"

Annoyingly, ive had a few instances of staff demanding extrication of my camera from its bag, and afterwards, even each lens separately !!!! (This was in priority lanes, too)
Old Jun 24, 2015, 10:00 am

Originally Posted by tmiw
PreCheck/Global Entry seems like a much less expensive investment to be able to not remove your laptop from your bag though. On the other hand, the rMB is much lighter than some of the other options on the market. I have definitely been tempted every time I walk into the Apple Store.
I'm TSA Pre and Global Services and yet I'd say about 25% of the time I'm thrown in with the unwashed masses, depending on the airport, the time of day, and the level of staffing, those queues are often closed.

Either way, having a notebook this thin/light and without hard disks and fans it passes through x-ray as if its a tablet and that's a really nice benefit.

BJ
Old Jun 25, 2015, 8:53 am

Programs: *G
my youtube stuttering probem is definitely browser related - running chrome with assorted extensions including ad-blocking. when it skips, safari renders same video perfectly.

getting a little peeved at the butterfly keyboard though. various keys keep on goin dull or sticky despite keyboard handled under good care, no liquids spilled, etc...
Old Jun 26, 2015, 12:21 am
Suspended

Programs: BA gold CX Diamond KLM Platinum
I'm TSA Pre and Global Services and yet I'd say about 25% of the time I'm thrown in with the unwashed masses,
Did you pull out your BMW keys?
Old Jun 30, 2015, 2:20 am
Suspended

New USB3 hub for the 12" Macbook

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ok/description
Old Jun 30, 2015, 7:45 am

Originally Posted by tiltingatwindmills
This is exactly what I have been waiting for. Now simply waiting until Apple releases a 13" version
Old Jun 30, 2015, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by elleana
They've had me pull out my fanless chromebook before (it did have a SSD) as well as my iPad. It all depends on the mood of the person at the X-Ray station.
Old Jul 12, 2015, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
I went to the Apple Store the other day and did one of those one-minute browser typing tests. I definitely do a lot worse with the 12" MacBook's keyboard than my 2013 rMBP's. Maybe it's just a matter of getting used to the former but the latter also feels way more comfortable to type on.

Oh well. Maybe the next model will have a slightly better keyboard, or I'll just upgrade my 13" to another 13".
Old Jul 12, 2015, 8:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tiltingatwindmills
By the time that Kickstarter actually releases a product, there will be plenty of other options. Amazon already has a good assortment of USB-C devices:

Amazon Amazon

Check the other options on that page.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.