Wiki Posts
Search

So who wants an Apple Watch?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2015, 5:16 pm

Wink

Originally Posted by deniah
i work in marketing. i understand how the machine works
Does not make you any less susceptible. You buy everything on price? No brands you favour? Not even a brand of traveler forum? Just saying...
Old Apr 21, 2015, 5:49 pm

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by osamede
Does not make you any less susceptible. You buy everything on price? No brands you favour? Not even a brand of traveler forum? Just saying...
none of this is germane to the point - which is the over-exaggerated importance of an artificial supply exercise.

if you sell 50 million phones per quarter -- besides having a strong product per se -- your "core marketing strategy" probably isnt 'lets stir up fake shortages'

fwiw, yes, i have favored brands. i was early adopter of products - many from apple and many from competing vendors; none experienced shortages so i actually not sure what youre just sayin...
Old Apr 21, 2015, 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by deniah
if you sell 50 million phones per quarter -- besides having a strong product per se -- your "core marketing strategy" probably isnt 'lets stir up fake shortages'.
No, but it could very well be a part of your launch PR strategy. In the case of this particular company, that has long been the MO.

Plus when we look at the "luxury goods" space, which Apple is keep on entering with this particular product, engineered scarcity is virtually the entire game.

Point is this is exceedingly common tactic in this territory. Hardly the stuff of conspiracy. One has to bend over backward to come to that kind of conclusion.

Apple wants everyone to want one of these - but this watch is a fairly standardised mass manufactured product aiming to steal market share from low volume products - of course they are going to make it seem a bit like you "cant".
Old Apr 21, 2015, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL GM, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat
Apple is nothing if not greedy. If they could have stuffed the channel with 50 million watches, they would have.

No doubt they would have always delayed the announcement of the product to the actual launch (to build up hype), but waiting weeks/months to fulfill orders doesn't benefit anyone except ebay.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
OK, now they are just screwing with us. http://money.cnn.com/2015/04/22/tech...ery/index.html
Old Apr 24, 2015, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
I still haven't been charged for my Apple Watch. What's really annoying is that some people with June shipping estimates got theirs today. I can't help but feel like I stayed up, putting an order in at 12:04:10 AM (according to the confirmation email) only for it to make little to no difference. Apple could have done this launch a whole lot better IMO.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tmiw
Apple could have done this launch a whole lot better IMO.
I think it is going exactly to their plan.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by ScottC
I think it is going exactly to their plan.
At the very least it would have been nice to have try-on appointments a week before preorders, but meh. It'll get here when it gets here.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
A former co-worker of mine just snap chatted a photo of him wearing one that arrived today. I won't say when he ordered it, but it wasn't when the pre-orders opened.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 5:05 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Got mine today. Pre-ordered it one day after they started selling it online.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 9:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Surprisingly decent prices on eBay. You can get a sport for around $599, and while that is a bit of a markup, it isn't the 300% we saw with the iPhone or iPad.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 10:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Surprisingly decent prices on eBay. You can get a sport for around $599, and while that is a bit of a markup, it isn't the 300% we saw with the iPhone or iPad.
I think it is being depressed because there's some apprehension on if the seller already has it. I saw a bunch of UPS screenshots and stock Apple pictures, no actual watches. I'd be pretty skeptical about buying one with just that. I was half expecting to see the basic sport models in the $1500 range.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 11:35 pm

Programs: AS
An iPhone is typically something people want right away. Although the watch is appealing to Apple fans like me, I will wait a little bit until the hype dies down to purchase one.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 12:10 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by kyden
An iPhone is typically something people want right away. Although the watch is appealing to Apple fans like me, I will wait a little bit until the hype dies down to purchase one.
I'd recommend that. I received my Apple Watch yesterday - 38mm sport, white band. I bought on Day 1 because I'm a developer writing travel apps, and wanted to make sure I could support the device.

There's definite potential here, but in its current state the third party apps are seriously half baked. To be expected given that some never even tried their app on real hardware before publishing it - but things crash all over the place, load times are slow, and the functionality hasn't really been thought through very much yet.

On the other hand, the Apple first party experiences aren't too bad - particularly Apple Pay, text messaging and the basic watch functionality all work very well. I'm sure the third party stuff will get refined with time.

I'm currently wearing an Android Wear watch and an Apple Watch at the same time to compare. It's weird - honestly, the Moto 360 hardware design is much more impressive and Google's software is more elegant at presenting notifications and contextual data. But the Apple watch is a more full featured experience - it's more ambitious in the amount of interaction they expect the user to have on their wrist than Google is. In a way, it feels like each has swapped traditional strengths: it'll be interesting to see how both products evolve over the next year.

Until then, they're both fun to play with as an early adopter, but I wouldn't say you're missing out on much if you wait for the second generation while developers like me refine their experiences...
Old Apr 25, 2015, 12:14 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
FWIW, I think http://www.theverge.com/2014/9/9/612...id-wear-pebble is a pretty accurate representation of my feelings about the two watch platforms, if you're interested.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.