So who wants an Apple Watch?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

So who wants an Apple Watch?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2015, 3:03 am

Programs: Skywards
No thanks, not worn a watch in the last 15 years and no intention of wearing one again.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 4:07 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K
I think this is one of those cases where you'll have to wait for the 2nd or 3rd generation of the product before the biggest cons - thickness and battery life (or rather, lack of it) - have been improved upon.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 7:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
I could see the usefulness if someone else was paying for the lower range models. I love having a real watch to check the time and not need to take my phone out during meetings, meals, etc. (or on the Jewish Sabbath and holidays when I can't use my phone).

But yet another article talking about the danger Apple faces in thinking they can just flip a switch and market luxury watches for $17K: Apple's $10,000 question: How to stop Apple Watch from becoming obsolete - CNET
Old Mar 11, 2015, 8:14 am

Originally Posted by lwildernorva
it just really seems like somebody in the 1930s pushing a giant leap forward in dirigibles. Which, by the way, my predictive text editor didn't even recognize as a possible word option.
I appreciated it, at least

I watched the keynote, and as I expected when it was first announced, it is a neat idea but I cannot think of any way this helps me or makes my life easier. If anything, it adds the annoyance of being another device I have to charge every day and another charger I have to remember to bring with me on trips.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In the words of the immortal Sam Goldwyn ...

"Include me out".
Old Mar 11, 2015, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What I don't understand is how Apple Watch is viewed as this entirely new kind of product, when companies like Samsung, Pebble and Motorola have very well established product lines.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by ScottC
What I don't understand is how Apple Watch is viewed as this entirely new kind of product, when companies like Samsung, Pebble and Motorola have very well established product lines.
Because Apple revolutionized the smartwatch. Some people on FT will say everyone else's efforts are cheap crap and not worthy of recognition. Duh.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 10:09 am

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
Yeah... smartwatches just seem to duplicate what everyone's phone already does. It's basically an overpriced accessory that will be sitting in junk drawers four years from now. No thanks... I'll stick with my traditional watches.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 1:04 pm

Programs: *G
Not an iota - i prefer mechanical , analog watches. But I am betting this will be a huge smash hit.

Typically never "got" any new class of device that Apple launches (no, dont care if they were first or not), but history shows theyve been incredibly successful
Old Mar 11, 2015, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, DL DIrt Medallion
Originally Posted by heraclitus
Yeah... smartwatches just seem to duplicate what everyone's phone already does. It's basically an overpriced accessory that will be sitting in junk drawers four years from now. No thanks... I'll stick with my traditional watches.
It's not a necessity, for sure, but they are useful. Most importantly, for me, is the notifications. I don't have to pull the phone out to see who is calling or who just texted, Google Now cards, and many other pieces of information. Basically the info I could get from my phone is right on my wrist, without having to actually grab the phone from my pocket. I can also use it to initiate actions from my phone, like navigation, Google searches, making calls, or sending texts.

I have always worn a watch anyway, so this is just a watch with extra functionality. I could see how it would be a hard sell for anyone who isn't already wearing watches or who is specifically into expensive mechanical watches.

I still wear my $12.00 8-year-old Timex in certain situations, but my Moto 360 is useful and I like it.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by pseudoswede
Because Apple revolutionized the smartwatch. Some people on FT will say everyone else's efforts are cheap crap and not worthy of recognition. Duh.
Hrmmm... yes. Revolutionary. I get a week on a charge with my Pebble Steel.

Also, this was fun to read:
Pebble trolls Apple Watch event in real time on Twitter
Old Mar 11, 2015, 1:41 pm

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by pseudoswede
Because Apple revolutionized the smartwatch.
Well played. It's also "breathtaking", "magical", "amazing", "unbelievable" and all the other euphemisms Apple over uses.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 1:55 pm

Programs: *G
"established" is a generous word in describing these products...
Old Mar 11, 2015, 2:02 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K
Originally Posted by joshwex90
But yet another article talking about the danger Apple faces in thinking they can just flip a switch and market luxury watches for $17K: Apple's $10,000 question: How to stop Apple Watch from becoming obsolete - CNET
Good article. Thanks.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 3:34 pm
Suspended

I haven't seen it positioned or talked about as a new kind of product except by ubernerds who, for some reason, dislike Apple and need something about which to whine.

I have always worn a watch anyway, so this is just a watch with extra functionality. I could see how it would be a hard sell for anyone who isn't already wearing watches or who is specifically into expensive mechanical watches.
With 1/1000th the battery life of your existing watch. How much good is a watch when you want to know what time it is and it's out of power.

It doesn't take much more effort to reach into your pocket, hold your phone and raise your arm up than it does to just raise your arm up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.