Wiki Posts
Search

Dual SIM phone for US (ATT) and abroad?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2015, 10:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Plat; AA Plat; SPG Plat; Marriott Silver;
Dual SIM phone for US (ATT) and abroad?

Any suggestions if this scenario makes sense? Thinking about getting a dual SIM smartphone to use overseas. I would like one SIM to be on AT&T for people to text (and maybe call if necessary) and then be able to buy a SIM overseas in whatever country I might be visiting (Europe, Asia, S. America, etc) to use in the 2nd SIM slot. The 2nd SIM would be used mainly for data.

Any suggestions on what phone? Do they have dual SIM LTE phones that work in most countries?

Thanks!
Old Feb 27, 2015, 12:34 pm

I think the dual-SIM Moto G would work for you -- I've used an older model on the US AT&T network and in Europe and Asia without any problems. Here's a link: http://www.motorola.com/on/demandwar...id=moto-g-APAC
Old Feb 27, 2015, 12:50 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
I'll second the dual-sim Moto G recommendation. Use it on AT&T here and have used it in Ireland and the UK. No longer need to carry a dedicated phone only for overseas use so one less thing to pack. Simple, straightforward phone that has met all of my needs, including data.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 8:48 am

Is the dual SIM model LTE? I thought it was HSPA+ which might be acceptable.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 10:04 am

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Dubai Stu
Is the dual SIM model LTE? I thought it was HSPA+ which might be acceptable.
Correct, not LTE but HSPA+, but as noted, I've experienced no problems. If LTE is an absolute requirement, the G is then a nonstarter.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So you're planning on receiving calls while abroad? I thought about looking for a dual-SIM phone, but don't want people calling me unless they have my Google Voice number (in which case I can receive calls at no charge using Google Hangouts, using data only).
Old Mar 1, 2015, 1:29 pm

Programs: AA
Would the dual-sim Moto G work with Verizon's network in the US? If so, that's my next phone.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by cubbie
Would the dual-sim Moto G work with Verizon's network in the US? If so, that's my next phone.
No you need LTE for Verizon and their bands aren't the same as ATT or TMobile. Verizon is also pretty bad about allowing third party equipment on their network.

To the person talking about receiving calls abroad, remember that you now have some roaming SIMs with free inbound calls on a US number in many countries. Truphone has free inbound in a number of countries including the US, UK, NL, ES, HK, DE, FR, and AU. Toggle has a pretty robust list as well. If you have a TMobile slow data SIM with free international data in the data slot and a Toggle in the voice slot, you can receive calls (and initiate them via a Google callback) in a very large number of countries.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 4:35 pm
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
I was about to ask a similar Q. Has anyone used the s5 Duos? I'm thinking of replacing my S4 Active with the S5 duos.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 1:28 pm

The Sony Xperia D6633 is dual SIM (data on one SIM at a time) and covers LTE bands 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 17 & 20.

I use mine with a Toggle SIM plus a local SIM.

The Toggle SIM is very handy though I do wish that they allowed voicemail/call forwarding to be controlled easily. It also looks as if they have stalled development - perhaps Lyca feel that the EU rules on roaming charges are reducing market potential for the product.

My experience of Truphone is that they talk endlessly about a wonderful new vision but have consistently failed to deliver on most of it. I still have a couple of Truphone SIMs sitting in my desk drawer but rarely use them.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 5:56 pm

I keep wanting to root for Truphone, but they never get it quite right. I have a Truphone SIM but use my Toggle much more. My wife is going to Hong Kong for a week and I will give her the Truphone SIM for HK in a small unlocked phone.

It is free incoming on a US number. We are both grandfathered on ATT's international iphone data plan so she doesn't need data. Forwarding her Google Voice Number to Truphone, she has free calls from the US, 9 cents a minute to the US, and free callback calls (via Google Voice) if she thinks she is going to have an hour long call. Other than a local number, I'm not sure what she gains with a local SIM. A week later we are going to Australia and hooking up with friends. I'm going to use the Toggle, but give her the Truphone so she has something local. Stated another way, I manage to get some use out of Truphone, but I prefer Toggle. Either way, I'm buying less prepaid SIMs than I use to buy.

Last edited by Dubai Stu; Mar 3, 2015 at 6:06 pm
Old Mar 4, 2015, 3:56 am
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
I keep wanting to root for Truphone, but they never get it quite right. I have a Truphone SIM but use my Toggle much more. My wife is going to Hong Kong for a week and I will give her the Truphone SIM for HK in a small unlocked phone.

It is free incoming on a US number. We are both grandfathered on ATT's international iphone data plan so she doesn't need data. Forwarding her Google Voice Number to Truphone, she has free calls from the US, 9 cents a minute to the US, and free callback calls (via Google Voice) if she thinks she is going to have an hour long call. Other than a local number, I'm not sure what she gains with a local SIM. A week later we are going to Australia and hooking up with friends. I'm going to use the Toggle, but give her the Truphone so she has something local. Stated another way, I manage to get some use out of Truphone, but I prefer Toggle. Either way, I'm buying less prepaid SIMs than I use to buy.
I just noticed that truphone has new rates. I have a truphone sim for years but never used it as they used to have some huge fee for incoming. I do use Toggle and google voice callback which works excellent, and that's my reason for a dual sim phone.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by jason8612
I just noticed that truphone has new rates. I have a truphone sim for years but never used it as they used to have some huge fee for incoming. I do use Toggle and google voice callback which works excellent, and that's my reason for a dual sim phone.
Part of Truphone's problem was that they saw the world through British eyes. Their rates (no matter how high they were to the rest of the world) were cheap when compared against "High Street" roaming rates. With British roaming rates coming down and Truphone having established a real US presence (together with some investment funding) I think they repositioned themselves.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 8:29 am

Part of Truphone's problem was that they saw the world through British eyes. .
They sell a service for recording mobile calls which is sold to companies covered by FCA, Dodd Frank etc. . Perhaps that took resource away from the Truphone SIM product.

The Truphone SIM product itself never added the ability to add a significant range of local numbers whereas Toggle currently supports 13 countries of which 9 numbers can be active on a SIM. The Toggle web site isn't great but is far and away better than Truphone's!

I too wanted Truphone to succeed with the Truphone SIM product but finally concluded that they were intent on talking about it and making videos about it while Lyca actually just made something that worked.

I did like Truphone's ability to change the calling number dependent on the target but I can live without it. I now keep 5 different numbers permanently active on my Toggle SIM and at *very* reasonable cost compared to Truphone.
Old Mar 7, 2015, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
I have the Samsung Duos GT-S7582 which is 3G and does me just fine. Not a heavy user of data at all. The thing about the 2nd SIM is that if it is in the second slot, which they usually are, then it would be 2G so that is something to consider when looking at phones. I also use a Toggle SIM in that but have never used the data of it. Nice to have a break from it sometimes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.