Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Samsung S6

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2015, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, DL DIrt Medallion
I agree that consolidation would be wise for Samsung. They need the S, S Mini, and Note lines, and that's about it. All the quirky one-off devices seem to just cannibalize the flagships.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 10:14 am

Programs: AA LT PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by SRQ Guy
The loss of removable battery and SD card isn't as big a deal as people are making them out to be. I thought the same way until I took the plunge on my Nexus 6, but the lack of SD card has been a complete non-issue for me, and in fact is an improvement in some ways because of Android's fractured way of handling external storage. Admittedly, battery remains to be seen, as it could become a problem down the road. As I plan to replace the phone at 2 years, though, I doubt it.
I agree. I have not been a fan of the Galaxy line, but the S6 is the first Samsung I am actually considering. I've been just fine without removable battery and SD card on my HTC M7 for the past two years. While they are both nice to have, they aren't deal-breakers for me.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by pseudoswede
The S5 was available off T-Mobile's website for a shade under $500 last night. Almost regret not picking one up.
Which one you mean?

In Switzerland, you can buy the S5 16 GB (https://www.digitec.ch/de/s1/product...elefon-2476161) for as cheap as 429 CHF (Digitec) which is about 450$... (without contract)
Old Mar 3, 2015, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The loss of removable battery and SD card isn't as big a deal as people are making them out to be. I thought the same way until I took the plunge on my Nexus 6, but the lack of SD card has been a complete non-issue for me, and in fact is an improvement in some ways because of Android's fractured way of handling external storage. Admittedly, battery remains to be seen, as it could become a problem down the road. As I plan to replace the phone at 2 years, though, I doubt it.
I think that is the case for the vast majority of users, but it is always highlighted as a "must have" feature.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by broadwayblue
I agree. I have not been a fan of the Galaxy line, but the S6 is the first Samsung I am actually considering. I've been just fine without removable battery and SD card on my HTC M7 for the past two years. While they are both nice to have, they aren't deal-breakers for me.
The one thing about the Galaxy devices is that they tend to "eat" memory cards after a year or so. The Micro SD cards are durable enough, but for whatever reason they rarely make it past a year in a Samsung. I cannot tell you how many people I saw coming in with a dead card, and didn't have a backup in place. The combination of having onedrive preloaded will help (I will say that very few people had Dropbox set up, or set to auto-backup.)

Starting the memory size at 32 GB is a good thing though, it will put a bit of pressure on Apple to do the same for their newer iPhones (excluding the 5s) this year.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by planemechanic
I think that is the case for the vast majority of users, but it is always highlighted as a "must have" feature.
I used to be there myself, but with 64 GB and 128GB options available for internal storage, I don't think it's essential like it used to be. For things like movies, it's easy enough to carry a dongle.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 5:00 pm

Programs: QF WP (OWE) / LTG (LT OWS) | Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by KRSW
No SD card slot = NO SALE for me. I stopped buying Motorolas and started buying Samsungs because of this. Looks like it's time for me to find another manufacturer.
Sony still makes Xperia line of phones with a microSD slot; and their flagship device (the Z3) can be had in a dual SIM version. I'm waiting for some real life reviews of the HTC One M9 Camera before deciding if I want that or jump ship to Z3 (which has an excellent camera!)
Old Mar 4, 2015, 3:18 am

Programs: QF WP (OWE) / LTG (LT OWS) | Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by stimpy
Can't you just root the phone and remove it yourself? As well as do any other customization you like?
I could, but I could just as easily grab another flagship handset form HTC or Sony.

FWIW, reports so far indicate Touchwiz has been "toned down" a bit in its recent iteration.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 11:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Gold, National Emerald Club, no airline affinity status
I used to be there myself, but with 64 GB and 128GB options available for internal storage, I don't think it's essential like it used to be. For things like movies, it's easy enough to carry a dongle.
What do you connect the dongle to and what kind of dongle is it?

Last edited by HawaiiTrvlr; Mar 4, 2015 at 12:33 pm
Old Mar 4, 2015, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HawaiiTrvlr
What do you contect the dongle to and what kind of dongle is it?
Here's one example, the SanDisk Ultra, 64 GB. There are even smaller ones out there as well. It plugs into the micro-USB port on your Android phone. Then use OTG Disk Explorer or similar (I prefer Stickmount if you're rooted) to access files on the drive.

It's not a perfect solution, but if you don't always need the extra space it's fine.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by HawaiiTrvlr
What do you contect the dongle to and what kind of dongle is it?
Something like this...

http://www.sandisk.com/products/usb/dualdrive/
Old Mar 4, 2015, 12:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Gold, National Emerald Club, no airline affinity status
Very interesting. I didn't even realize this existed. If I wait for the Samsung S6 maybe I will get this to use as well (if I need the extra storage).

Thanks for the info.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
Which one you mean?

In Switzerland, you can buy the S5 16 GB (https://www.digitec.ch/de/s1/product...elefon-2476161) for as cheap as 429 CHF (Digitec) which is about 450$... (without contract)
T-Mobile US.

They have the S4 for $409, and the S5 for $494.

The biggest benefit to buy a phone direct from Tmous, is the built in WiFi calling feature, it isn't available on a device that wasn't purchased from them. (Unless you've rooted and flashed a TMous ROM, which is probably more trouble than it is worth.)
Old Mar 4, 2015, 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by WIRunner
T-Mobile US.

They have the S4 for $409, and the S5 for $494.

The biggest benefit to buy a phone direct from Tmous, is the built in WiFi calling feature, it isn't available on a device that wasn't purchased from them. (Unless you've rooted and flashed a TMous ROM, which is probably more trouble than it is worth.)
I see. Today, I've seen the S5 offered here on sale from Sunrise for 397 CHF (about 415$) - guess if you don't mind rooting it, that's the cheapest you can get it right now. Got the S5 mini (not for myself but as present) about 3 months ago for 329 CHF which was a good deal too.

Switzerland might be expensive for almost everything, but not for electronics
Old Mar 4, 2015, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
I see. Today, I've seen the S5 offered here on sale from Sunrise for 397 CHF (about 415$) - guess if you don't mind rooting it, that's the cheapest you can get it right now. Got the S5 mini (not for myself but as present) about 3 months ago for 329 CHF which was a good deal too.

Switzerland might be expensive for almost everything, but not for electronics
Just make sure the phone has all the bands (and LTE support) you need. There are countless S5 versions out there, and it would be a shame to get one that doesn't work (well) abroad.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.