Samsung S6

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2015, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, DL DIrt Medallion
Originally Posted by stimpy
You mean the S6 and the S6 Edge?

The worlds first dual-edge display?
A meaningless gimmick that will almost certainly be an extremely limited production run, like the Note Edge.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 11:07 pm

No SD card slot = NO SALE for me. I stopped buying Motorolas and started buying Samsungs because of this. Looks like it's time for me to find another manufacturer.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 1:03 am

Programs: TK Elite+(*G), UA*S, IHG Plat, Avis First
Originally Posted by KRSW
No SD card slot = NO SALE for me. I stopped buying Motorolas and started buying Samsungs because of this. Looks like it's time for me to find another manufacturer.
That coupled with the recent locked bootloader nonsense on most US carriers (used to be just Verizon), made me ditch Samsung to other pastures -- I was a dedicated Galaxy user from S1-S4, and gave up on the 5 & 6.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 1:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by SRQ Guy
A meaningless gimmick that will almost certainly be an extremely limited production run, like the Note Edge.
You could say that some of the design aspects of the iPhone are meaningless gimmicks. But a whole heck of a lot of people seem to like them.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 7:19 am

I am not sure about glass front, glass edge, glass back... I just feel like it would be asking me to drop it and crack in multiple places!

I like the look of the HTC M9 and even LG G3 better. Is G4 coming coming out soon? I am still happy with my Note 2.. I think I will just wait.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stimpy
You could say that some of the design aspects of the iPhone are meaningless gimmicks. But a whole heck of a lot of people seem to like them.
Fair enough, but which gimmick on the iPhone is limited production? Also your argument doesn't really counter mine that Samsung is now just playing by Apple's playbook.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
If the S6 is reasonably priced (i.e., non-edge 64GB for $699), I think I may be getting both Mrs. Swede and I new phones in April.

It's also contingent on how the Asus Zenfone 2 will be priced.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 6:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by SRQ Guy
Fair enough, but which gimmick on the iPhone is limited production? Also your argument doesn't really counter mine that Samsung is now just playing by Apple's playbook.
Well, the 6+ for the first three/four months after launch.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WIRunner
Well, the 6+ for the first three/four months after launch.
LOL.

The 6+ had more production in its first run than the Note Edge will ever have and almost certainly the S6 Edge as well.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 1:06 am

Might have to do with the fact that Apple is basically one producing one phone (with a few different types) while there are dozens of Samsung phones alone, and hundreds of Android phones that people can choose from in the upper price range alone..

I prefer choice over boundaries, but some people enjoyed 50 Shades of Grey too, so there must be a market for that
Old Mar 3, 2015, 3:24 am

Programs: JAL Global Club & oneworld Sapphire, ANA SFC & Star Alliance Gold
As far as I can tell, the biggest complaint about the S5 was that it wasn't as pretty as the iPhone. Meanwhile people like me who care more about specs and features than about "pretty" bought the Galaxy in droves. So what does Samsung do? They eliminate everything that distinguished the Galaxy from the iPhone (removable battery, micro SD slot, waterproofing) in order to make the phone prettier. Really stupid move, IMO.

I used to be a huge Galaxy fan, but I have no interest in the S6 and am actually glad I bought the S5 while it was still available.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 3:28 am

Originally Posted by Unimatrix One

I used to be a huge Galaxy fan, but I have no interest in the S6 and am actually glad I bought the S5 while it was still available.
It's still available.

In case anything happens to my S4 at the moment, I'm fairly sure that I would get a S5 right now. Fairly good deal at the current rate. I'll not get the S6, that's for sure.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
The S5 was available off T-Mobile's website for a shade under $500 last night. Almost regret not picking one up.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The loss of removable battery and SD card isn't as big a deal as people are making them out to be. I thought the same way until I took the plunge on my Nexus 6, but the lack of SD card has been a complete non-issue for me, and in fact is an improvement in some ways because of Android's fractured way of handling external storage. Admittedly, battery remains to be seen, as it could become a problem down the road. As I plan to replace the phone at 2 years, though, I doubt it.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Samsung has this way of having a hit and then a miss when it comes to devices. This cold also come from the two year replacement cycle that most people are on.

The first Galaxy (mine was the "Mesmerize") was a good seller, but kinda crappy device.
The GSII, was a great phone but a bad seller.
GSIII was a good seller, and a mixed bag (I have never dropped more calls with a device, there was a known issue with the radios on the CDMA versions.)
GS4, fantastic device, okay seller.
GS5, okay device and a poor seller

So the GS6 addresses the device issues, if the radios hold up, it might be a good way for Samsung to boost their sales. I could easily see it being one of their stronger selling phones. But they really, really, really need to cut out all the specialty Galaxy devices. Their biggest competitor is themselves. The GSIII is still readily available from a lot of carriers, and isn't exactly at a great price point, as the S4 and S5 mini are better hardware at a better price.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.