Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Do you think that laptop nowadays are unnecessary?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2015, 6:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: Garuda, SQ KF, Le Club, SPG, Marriott Rewards, HHonors

Wondering if any FTers think that jobs done normally using a laptop can be replaced by tablets, or other devices (tablets are the most direct replacement)? For example, we can open, make, and edit spreadsheets, presentations, and documents from iPads. Do you really need those extra facilities of a laptop (advanced video editing, 3D stuffs), or is it simply a burden to carry a laptop everywhere?
Old Feb 21, 2015, 6:45 am

I still travel with a laptop. The ipads are ok for reading. For all the other stuff, laptop is still better.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 6:47 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Concur completely.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 6:53 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
I think tablets are unnecessary, especially with laptops getting thinner and thinner. Tablets are just thin laptops that can neither do everything laptops can do nor do the things laptops can do as well.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 7:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: Garuda, SQ KF, Le Club, SPG, Marriott Rewards, HHonors
Originally Posted by ccyao
I still travel with a laptop. The ipads are ok for reading. For all the other stuff, laptop is still better.
Carrying both??

Originally Posted by agp423
I think tablets are unnecessary, especially with laptops getting thinner and thinner. Tablets are just thin laptops that can neither do everything laptops can do nor do the things laptops can do as well.
Tablets work like an ultra-smart paper, which you can literally carry everywhere. The thinnest laptops still requires some space when you open it. Tablets also gets the job done when you are actually in bed or doing your business working things out, for example. Well, that's just my 0.01.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 7:57 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
Originally Posted by egondo
Carrying both??

Tablets work like an ultra-smart paper, which you can literally carry everywhere. The thinnest laptops still requires some space when you open it. Tablets also gets the job done when you are actually in bed or doing your business working things out, for example. Well, that's just my 0.01.
I think the margin return on a laptop's function far exceeds the margin cost of that extra bit of space.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 8:11 am

Programs: UA Million Miler (Gold), Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Since most of the software I use daily can't be installed on a tablet and some of it can't be used without a mouse (i.e., page layout program, major editing of documents), there's no way I can trade my laptop for a tablet. I see tablets for consuming information, whereas laptops are for creating information.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 8:25 am

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
If you are a casual user that does basically e-mail, browse the web, play music and video, sure a tablet can work.

If you need to do work, spreadsheets, word docs, presentations... then a laptop makes more sense. And, as pointed out, laptops are getting to be smaller and trimmer.

I might also add that some laptops also function as tablets. I am typing this on a MS Surface Pro 2. We recently put my wife on an Acer Switch 10. Both of which have detachable screens and function like a tablet when needed.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 8:58 am

Laptop is not going to be unnecessary. Because most people are replacing home desktop with laptop. My manager at work is trying to get everyone to replace their desktops with laptops. Some are still resisting because with a desktop they have an excuse to NOT work when they are home.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 9:25 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
If I'm working the laptop is necessary. On vacation I take a tablet.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 9:44 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
Out in the field at a desk or conference table, it's the smaller notebook PC (Sony Vaio instead of 14" Dell, never bothered with those "giant" 15" to 17" desktop-like portable heavyweights)
Commuting or traveling, inflight, trains & subways or even buses - tablet is preferred, best when coupled with a wireless keyboard & BT headset for music/video listening. I consider mine a backup piece of hardware to the notebook carried.
Each has its own place in productivity - plus, optional add-on like travel mouse in making life easier.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 10:52 am
Community Director Emerita

I love my MacAir 11" It's light and compact, thus highly portable. I've never purchased a tablet. I have no idea why I would want a tablet when my computer does all the tasks I need so easily.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Tablets for show, laptops for a pro.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 11:37 am

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I love my MacAir 11" It's light and compact, thus highly portable. I've never purchased a tablet. I have no idea why I would want a tablet when my computer does all the tasks I need so easily.
agreed

i actually had a tablet but only used it for reading. air does everything else. i feel so gimped by any mobile OS, whether android or ios... dont feel its even 60% there for me in terms of replaceability
Old Feb 21, 2015, 11:42 am

I carry both on work trips. The laptop (14" ThinkPad) is for work, especially for things like CAD and ERP software that can't be done on my tablet, while the tablet (iPad Mini) is for passing time while traveling (reading, music, movies, etc.).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.