Starting today, US carriers must unlock your phone if you finish your contract

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2015, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Starting today, US carriers must unlock your phone if you finish your contract

CooL!

http://arstechnica.com/business/2015...ck-your-phone/

Major wireless carriers in the US have promised to unlock customers' phones or tablets once they've paid off their contracts, beginning today. This is the result of an agreement the carriers made with FCC Chairman Tom Wheeler in late 2013; the deadline to comply with all portions of the agreement arrived today.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 11:51 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
This is a very misleading thread title (like the majority of the media articles on this as well). You are aware that one still has to meet the terms and conditions of the contract, if the phone was purchased on contract/subsidized, right? They don't just unlock it because you want them to or you think you have a good reason.

Furthermore, this seems like non-news to me. AT&T has been unlocking my phones, once I completed the 2 year contract, for literally years.

Regards
Old Feb 11, 2015, 12:19 pm

Verizon's done it for me on request as well. But it appears that they're now required to unlock your phone if you so desire, whereas before they could refuse for no good reason.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 12:27 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
As scubadu noted, what immediately struck me is that caveat that the subscribers must have paid off their contracts first. It immediately affects those who are beyond the term of their contract and have not re-upped. If you're still under contract or enter into an agreement after today, they don't have to do anything until the contract ends if they don't want to.

Carriers, upon request, will unlock mobile wireless devices or provide the necessary information to unlock their devices for their customers and former customers in good standing and individual owners of eligible devices after the fulfillment of the applicable postpaid service contract, device financing plan, or payment of applicable early termination fee.
Thread title makes it seem as if they must do it for everyone, so it is a bit misleading.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I fixed the title!
Old Feb 11, 2015, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I've had a phone on EIP with T-Mobile, and they unlocked my phone with no questions asked just four months into payments.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 12:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
How exactly does this apply? For instance, if I signed up for a 2 year contract long ago and it is already up, must my carrier unlock my phone if I ask tomorrow? Or does it only apply to new contracts going forward? Or is it based on the manufacture date of the phone itself?
Old Feb 12, 2015, 6:51 am

Thank you TMO!
Old Feb 12, 2015, 7:20 am

If you call your carrier, they should unlock it immediately if you are eligible.

I've been on plans in the past where I could unlock and where I could not (all prepaid). I switched to TMobile a bit over a year ago and bought an unlocked phone from the start, but my boyfriend stayed on Virgin Mobile. We realized that Tmobile will work better for him so he got the unlock code from VM yesterday, and we are going to experiment and see if he can bring his iPhone over, since the phone is still relatively new for him and he'd rather not buy a new phone yet. I'm not sure if his iPhone supports the right bands, but at least we can try now. (This was part of the reason why I left Virgin Mobile. They had it locked and so I could not even buy a foreign SIM when I travelled.)
Old Feb 12, 2015, 2:01 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
Who (which carriers) haven't been doing this for the past several years? I've had AT&T, sprint and verizon phones unlocked for which any post paid 2 yr (whatever) contract had been reached. Only AT&T I think had an online site for this, but still I don't see this as making much difference to anything at all.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by nmenaker
Who (which carriers) haven't been doing this for the past several years? I've had AT&T, sprint and verizon phones unlocked for which any post paid 2 yr (whatever) contract had been reached. Only AT&T I think had an online site for this, but still I don't see this as making much difference to anything at all.
I think AT&T used to have a limited amount of phones they will unlock for you in a year. Now I guess they cannot put a limit on the number of phones. Before the carriers have the Edge or Next plans, it was sometime cheaper to buy the phone on contract, paid the contract termination fee and unlock to take the phone to another carrier or oversea.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 4:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Are they required to unlock if you pay the ETF?

Say I'm 6 months into a 2-year deal and another carrier is willing to pay my ETF. Is the original carrier required to unlock, allowing me to use that phone on the new carrier's network? (Assuming the device is compatible, of course.)

Assume I wait long enough to be free and clear from any rules the retailer had in place on subsidized phones. (IME, that's 6 months.)
Old Feb 12, 2015, 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
For whatever reason except for Sprint.
Old Feb 13, 2015, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Sprint is 1x per year per line and you have to have been a customer for at least three months. I don't think much changed in that regard.
Old Feb 13, 2015, 11:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Will any Sprint phones actually work at 4G speeds on a U.S. GSM network?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.