Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Multi-country Prepaid Mifi/Wireless Hotspot Solution

Old Feb 9, 2015, 7:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)

Is there a decent option out there for a global data sim that can be used in a Mifi type device that works all over the world? Realistically if it only worked in UAE, Saudi, Russia, Thailand and Singapore I'd be happy with that.

World Sim looks decent, but there are some truly awful reviews out there so I'm not sure that's the one for me.

Am I stuck just buying prepaid SIMs in each country?
Old Mar 18, 2015, 2:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓
I would be interested in an answer to this as well. Any suggestions?
Old Mar 18, 2015, 8:56 pm

Skyroam?
Old Mar 19, 2015, 3:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by Dubai Stu
Skyroam?
Limited countries, but the best option I've seen so far. Thanks.
Old Mar 21, 2015, 7:52 pm

Programs: Varies
Skyroam looks good. Has it been around long?
Old Mar 22, 2015, 7:09 am

The company that is behind the device has been around for a while, but this offering is six to ten months old. Their older offering was a Bluetooth dongle which turned some smartphones into dual SIM phones. It was not well regarded.

I owned a Skyroam modem, but gave it to my wife's best friend. It worked for me and she loves it. Between us, it has been used in the US, UAE, UK, Singapore, Australia, and Indonesia. It is just possible that it was used in China, but I'm not sure.

I tried to buy a new one, but they were out of stock. A friend of mine bought one and used it in Mexico and it worked fine for him. An internet friend has also used one in several countries with no complaints.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 12:23 pm

Thanks. I'm not sure where I can buy one in the UK - Skyroam themselves are out of stock and neither of their named UK suppliers have it on their websites - but I'll keep an eye open. I read a review that said that the unlimited data is really 100MB per day at normal speed, then the speed is throttled:

http://uk.pcmag.com/skyroam-3gmate/4...skyroam-3gmate

But I'm unlikely to use more than 100MB per day when travelling.

I bought a good mifi a couple of years back but found it a hassle to find suitable sim deals, and to set up, in some countries - Canada in particular. A reliable virtual sim solution would be so much better.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 6:01 am

Programs: BA gold
Originally Posted by ttama
Thanks. I'm not sure where I can buy one in the UK - Skyroam themselves are out of stock and neither of their named UK suppliers have it on their websites - but I'll keep an eye open. I read a review that said that the unlimited data is really 100MB per day at normal speed, then the speed is throttled
I've just got a friend who is flying right now to MUC to pick one up from the Lufthansa Worldshop (they also sell it in FRA too). If you go to their website, they will deliver to the UK.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 6:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Stez
I've just got a friend who is flying right now to MUC to pick one up from the Lufthansa Worldshop (they also sell it in FRA too). If you go to their website, they will deliver to the UK.
119. Ouch.

I'm going to buy one from the US vendors at $99 and have it shipped to my US office.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 6:23 am

Programs: BA gold
Originally Posted by Wozza2404
119. Ouch.
Ouch indeed. Unfortunately I don't have the time to arrange one from the US.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 6:43 am

Originally Posted by Stez
Thanks. That's very helpful.

The exchange rate is good, so that makes it 87'ish for me. Probably a fair price if it delivers what it promises. I might wait for a few reviews first though.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 7:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ttama
Thanks. That's very helpful.

The exchange rate is good, so that makes it 87'ish for me. Probably a fair price if it delivers what it promises. I might wait for a few reviews first though.
Amazon.com has some pretty decent reviews from US users.
Old Apr 6, 2015, 3:24 pm

Location: DCA's home, AA hubs and spokes are where you'll usually find me
Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat
In case anyone is following this thread and waiting to purchase, Skyroam just reached out to me to say that they expect to receive new inventory and begin shipping it on April 20. I must say, I was impressed with their customer service - I'd reached out with a question on inventory timing based on a trip I have planned and they were quick to respond and agreed to help me get my hands on one before I leave for my trip.
Old Apr 6, 2015, 4:39 pm

I came across a review of this gadget in my local newspaper: Webbing.
Info on the costs seemed a bit vague but I was able to find this website that had a bit of info. Battery life seems a bit wimpy tho.
Old Apr 6, 2015, 5:37 pm

Kind of funny because the device is significantly thicker than my other hotspots.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.